Meyer Hatchery Chicken pics anyone??

Our Meyer Hatchery Chicks at 5 weeks:

Our Cornish Rock X...they are HUGE!

The Layer box

Buff Laced Polish - Buffy
We are hoping it is a hen, but it kind of struts around and has long tail feathers, so we will just have to wait it out!

Exchequer Leghorn - Checkers

Speckled Sussex - Speckles (sorry she wouldn't pose!)

Easter Egger - Happy Feed

Dominique - Nikki

Here are a few of our Meyer chicks the day they arrived - a mixture of EE's, OE's, Leghorn, Black Copper Marans, Blue Cochins.

And here they are at 7 weeks old:

Bluebell, Blue Cochin

Clockwise from left: Blanche (Leghorn), Esme (OE), Hazel (EE), Morning Glory (Blue Cochin), and Grizelda (EE)

Closeup of Grizelda (EE)

Nutmeg (left), our green eyed Black Copper Marans beauty, and Andora, the black eyed devil OE.

I love, love, LOVE Meyer Hatchery! I'm expecting a new shipment of chicks at the post office tomorrow
big_smile.png
Beautiful birds! Thanks for shaing. I love seeing "before and after" pics!

Our Meyer Hatchery Chicks at 5 weeks:

Our Cornish Rock X...they are HUGE!

The Layer box

We are hoping it is a hen, but it kind of struts around and has long tail feathers, so we will just have to wait it out!

Exchequer Leghorn - Checkers

Speckled Sussex - Speckles (sorry she wouldn't pose!)

Dominique - Nikki
Great looking birds there and a handsome helper too! I love your EE's coloring and her eyeliner :).

Oh wow! We don't have anyone mean like that even though we have 3 different groups, one of which is a lone polish. I had one mean one but I gave her to a friend. She isn't mean there because she had to be lower on the pecking order and she lets them free range on 2 acres. I'm sure the added stress of being cooped up isn't helping matters. I hope she settles down after chicken jail.
I am waiting to put her in chicken jail until after it warms up again. It is going to be in the 20's tonight, I'd hate to freeze her.

I wish I had a friend that would take her off my hands too.

@trsturself
My first sick chicken and first hatch at the same time! Ahh!
Olive doesn't seem 100% but maybe she's just lonely?? I wormed and treated her for cocci and am giving her electrolytes but she isn't quite right.
I have 2 barred rocks, 2 EEs, and 8 BBS AMs. The AMs are two days ahead of the others but all air cells are looking good.
So sorry about Olive, I hope that she improves. It is so hard to have a sick one.

Good luck with the hatch, can't wait to see the pics when they hatch!

Here are a few of our Meyer chicks the day they arrived - a mixture of EE's, OE's, Leghorn, Black Copper Marans, Blue Cochins.

And here they are at 7 weeks old:

Bluebell, Blue Cochin

I love, love, LOVE Meyer Hatchery! I'm expecting a new shipment of chicks at the post office tomorrow
big_smile.png
Those are the cutest chicks. and Bluebell just adorable!

The Layer box

Dominique - Nikki
So cute, your son and the chicks too. I hope your Buffy is a hen. My Buffy, same name and breed is laying now and is so much fun to watch. I want more Polish. Everyone is so surprised to see her and that she is a chicken.

I hope everyone is having fun and all the chicks are healthy. Good luck to those who receive chicks this week. Especially with the weather in the East.

MamaShell, my babies dust bathe in the brooder shavings, I wouldn't add DE at this young age because its too dusty. I'm sure they would appreciate plain sand :)

Are you sure that is a RIR, she just looks so light in coloring. She's very pretty! Can you see a comb on the last one? Straight comb is BR, rose comb, Dominique. She does look a lot like my Dominique as a chick too.

I do not use DE at all, but especially not for the young chicks. I agree with RoostersCrow, sand is a good option. I also added dirt to the chick dust bath. I started out with a sandwich size tupperware container and had to upgrade to a plastic shoe box. Once one starts, everyone wants to get in. They are so much fun to watch too. Have you added a tiny roost for them too? You can also add a clod of grass with the dirt. Just make sure nothing is treated with fertilizer.

Thanks for the advice. I think I will wait on the dust bath until I move the chicks to the bigger brooder this coming weekend. Less to dust before my mother-in-law gets here! ;)

My RIRs are a lot darker than they appear in the photo. I had her up on the counter under a bright light. I knew the photo didn't do them justice!

As for the BR/Dominique dilemma, I tried to get a good look at their combs and they are too tiny for me to tell. I am supposed to have 2 Doms and 3 BRs, so, I thought the 2 with more white in their wings were the Doms. But, when I look closely at their faces, the one with the white feathers looks like she has a single comb (on the left in this photo)

I order 2 of each and the shipping label said that it got an extra Barred Rock as my meal maker. Maybe the label was wrong and I got 3 Doms and 2 BRs? I guess time will tell!

All the babies are sooo cute. Will be happy when ours get here in a few months. In the mean time our duckies are growing like weeds. They are only a little over 2 weeks old and have already trippled in size.

And here is an update on the non-meyer hatchlings. They are almost as big as mama and still try to fit under her. They are almost 2 months old now. I am seriously starting to believe that the partridge one is a boy and the black one a female. Only time will tell though.

I was out making chicken food today (bought a bunch of whole grains and mixed my own) and noticed Amber, our EE, wasn't acting like herself. She's standing in one spot instead of exploring the yard with the other chickens. Her wings were droopy and she was fluffed up. She didn't care about food or water and was moving really slowly. She hasn't laid an egg in a week. I'm worried she's egg bound. I gave her a soak in a warm bath then forced her to eat some yogurt with ground egg shell in it. She's resting in the bathroom tonight. I'm going to give her another warm bath in the morning if she hasn't laid an egg yet. I hope that's all that's wrong and it gets resolved. She's one of our favorites!

I was out making chicken food today (bought a bunch of whole grains and mixed my own) and noticed Amber, our EE, wasn't acting like herself. She's standing in one spot instead of exploring the yard with the other chickens. Her wings were droopy and she was fluffed up. She didn't care about food or water and was moving really slowly. She hasn't laid an egg in a week. I'm worried she's egg bound. I gave her a soak in a warm bath then forced her to eat some yogurt with ground egg shell in it. She's resting in the bathroom tonight. I'm going to give her another warm bath in the morning if she hasn't laid an egg yet. I hope that's all that's wrong and it gets resolved. She's one of our favorites! 

Best wishes for Amber!!

I was out making chicken food today (bought a bunch of whole grains and mixed my own) and noticed Amber, our EE, wasn't acting like herself. She's standing in one spot instead of exploring the yard with the other chickens. Her wings were droopy and she was fluffed up. She didn't care about food or water and was moving really slowly. She hasn't laid an egg in a week. I'm worried she's egg bound. I gave her a soak in a warm bath then forced her to eat some yogurt with ground egg shell in it. She's resting in the bathroom tonight. I'm going to give her another warm bath in the morning if she hasn't laid an egg yet. I hope that's all that's wrong and it gets resolved. She's one of our favorites!
One of my 2 rsl's has been a little off the last few days too...she acted as yours is and she has given me a few soft eggs. I am thinking its related to the fact all the rest of my flock has taken at least a short break in laying over the winter and she didn't... I have been alternating between giving her some liquid calcium or nutri-drench every day and she seems to getting back to her old self... Hope Amber gets to feeling better as well :)

Back
Top Bottom