Meyer Hatchery Chicken pics anyone??

One of my buff Orpington chicks, Dixie. I bought 3 (2 hens and a roo), and ended up with 2 hens and 2 Roos. The boys are best friends and they all love to be held!

here is a shot of our BO roo's. They get along really well and we consider them brothers, raised together. Oh and they are fairly friendly.

Last edited:
FYI, my BR laid a long pointy cream colored egg. Makes me miss them just talking about them. :(

I was thinking of submitting my SLP pic to Meyer (my profile pic), but I think I deleted the email. Oh well. We won't be ordering again. Shipping prices just kill me. Luckily we can breed some of our own and live in a place there is an abundance of birds. The only thing I might order is meat birds.

FYI, my BR laid a long pointy cream colored egg. Makes me miss them just talking about them. :(

I was thinking of submitting my SLP pic to Meyer (my profile pic), but I think I deleted the email. Oh well. We won't be ordering again. Shipping prices just kill me. Luckily we can breed some of our own and live in a place there is an abundance of birds. The only thing I might order is meat birds. 

You can still submit the pic! It's a good one. There's a link on their website. Says "upload" or something mysterious like that.
I agree with the shipping. The credit I have will make it worth one more order. After that I may only bite for free shipping offers.

Very intriguing about Meyer! Sorry about your friend's loss but good to hear that yours are doing well, aside from the pesky rooster, of course! I hope leaving him out will help.
Well...it turns out it was Brownie and not Coco (the roo!) I go outside this morning and Coco is crowing away INSIDE the coop...while the stink butt is sitting there wet from dew wanting to be fed 1st. Sigh.

IT was all her choice - she was the one who chose to sit outside in the dark instead of being in the nice coop! And to try to peck me at that!!!

My first set of girls went through a pecking stage, I think right about when they started laying. Hormones maybe!
My sweet roo have me a good peck this week. Bruised right away. I hope this means he's at least reaching maturity. I don't mind if he is not cuddly as long as he does not get mean. I still have not heard crowing or seen any interest in mating. He's almost 5 1/2 months old.

Very intriguing about Meyer! Sorry about your friend's loss but good to hear that yours are doing well, aside from the pesky rooster, of course! I hope leaving him out will help.

Well...it turns out it was Brownie and not Coco (the roo!) I go outside this morning and Coco is crowing away INSIDE the coop...while the stink butt is sitting there wet from dew wanting to be fed 1st. Sigh.

LOL! Poor baby, even if she was being a stinker!

My first set of girls went through a pecking stage, I think right about when they started laying. Hormones maybe!
My sweet roo have me a good peck this week. Bruised right away. I hope this means he's at least reaching maturity. I don't mind if he is not cuddly as long as he does not get mean. I still have not heard crowing or seen any interest in mating. He's almost 5 1/2 months old.

I have a 6 month old ee roo that over night went from docile to hormone mating crazied. Lol it's coming watch out!

Our 3 older roos are almost 6 months old. They are all crowing now but the silkie only crows if the other two are MIA. Dinner is the only one who has ever bit anyone and only when he was much younger.
You may know this but if not... how to handle a rooster... It's important to pick up and carry your roos around often. Don't baby them but definitely pick them up and carry them for a minute. If they are calm you can put them right back down but if they make a fuss hold them until they calm down. It's humiliating for them and shows you are the alpha roo. Don't return aggression with more aggression, that just shows you need to be fought and conquered.

I still pick ours up (at least the ones we are keeping) on a regular basis even though they are gentle. In addition to the 6 month olds, we have 1 3 month old, and 2 1 1/2 months olds. The 1 1/2 mo old EE roo bit me the other night when I was getting them out of the grow out pen to put in the coop. It didn't hurt and I think picking him right up calmed him down because he hasn't tried anything like that again.

Back
Top Bottom