Meyer Hatchery Chicken pics anyone??

I have a question for everyone who has adult Meyer Hatchery birds. What was the success rate for getting the correct genders that you ordered? Did you gets any boys when you ordered girls, and if so, how many? I only ordered 10 chicks, all of them girls, and I'm worried about getting some possible boys. My dad used to order from McMurray ever couple of years when I was young, and he never got any boys from them, unless it was a mystery bird. Is it the same way for Meyer?

I get paranoid very easily, and I've been constantly worrying about getting roosters when I only wanted hens.
I ordered 25 females got 1 boy slipped by the gender police.

I ordered 25 females got 1 boy slipped by the gender police. 

Well that's a good success rate! Knowing this helps me worry just a tiny bit less. My little ones are only 5 days old and I'm already looking at each of them playing and thinking "3 or 4 of them seem like boys!" Then I think about how it's WAY too soon to know and I need to stop being so paranoid :p

Well that's a good success rate! Knowing this helps me worry just a tiny bit less. My little ones are only 5 days old and I'm already looking at each of them playing and thinking "3 or 4 of them seem like boys!" Then I think about how it's WAY too soon to know and I need to stop being so paranoid
tongue.png
I am soooo doing that too, I have 17 day olds (as in a little over 2 wks old) of my hatched chicks, mixes between my Meyers EE and my NN's that I am constantly eyeing to try and pick out the boys. All boys will be off to freezer camp so don't want to make the mistake of getting to attatched to the boys.

I am soooo doing that too, I have 17 day olds (as in a little over 2 wks old) of my hatched chicks, mixes between my Meyers EE and my NN's that I am constantly eyeing to try and pick out the boys.  All boys will be off to freezer camp so don't want to make the mistake of getting to attatched to the boys.

I always tell myself not to get too attached to the roosters and it never works out well. That how I ended up with two fighting roosters... I told myself that if they fight, I would re-home one. They are both such amazing roosters that I don't have the heart to get rid of them. Instead I order chicks from Meyer and we're working on building a second coop.

I always tell myself not to get too attached to the roosters and it never works out well. That how I ended up with two fighting roosters... I told myself that if they fight, I would re-home one. They are both such amazing roosters that I don't have the heart to get rid of them. Instead I order chicks from Meyer and we're working on building a second coop.
I have 3 and really really need to rehome one, I didn't think it would be so hard to rehome him since he is a true breed and a good type for his breed, but so far no luck w/ it. Mine don't fight but they are making my girls look rough. My one EE boy that came w/ the girls my husband doesn't want to get rid of, and I want my NN males genetics for my future hatchings.

I have a question for everyone who has adult Meyer Hatchery birds. What was the success rate for getting the correct genders that you ordered? Did you gets any boys when you ordered girls, and if so, how many? I only ordered 10 chicks, all of them girls, and I'm worried about getting some possible boys. My dad used to order from McMurray ever couple of years when I was young, and he never got any boys from them, unless it was a mystery bird. Is it the same way for Meyer?

I get paranoid very easily, and I've been constantly worrying about getting roosters when I only wanted hens.
I got 15 from Meyer in mid March. One died and of the 14 left, so far, one is for sure a cockerel. It's one of my buff brahma so I'm kinda bummed because they are my absolute favorite as far as looks; luckily I ordered 2 and the other looks very girly.
AND I'm questioning 1 or 2 more of my EE's right now. I will be really annoyed if out of 15 I get 3 cockerels because they will all have to be re-homed. Mine are 9 weeks old and I'll be posting pics again in a week or so to get everyone's opinions of my 2 EE's.

I ordered 16 from Meyer's in February and 1 meal maker, so 17. They did not ship my Black Australorp, so I ended up with 16 total in the box, but 2 of those were already dead, plus one died the following day, so I ended up with a total of 13. It looks like all of these are girls. The extra chick that was the meal maker was another Barred Rock and she still looks like a hen. These are 13 weeks old on Monday and no crowing so I think I am safe with these.

My next order which I got 2 weeks ago were supposed to contain the guaranteed replacements for the ones that were missing or died in the first order and should have had 9 total in the box, (I added a few more to the order) but there were only 6 chicks in the box, not 9. Of these 6, I think a few are for sure hens, by looking up breed info etc. and I question that possibly a couple might be roos. Since they are so young, I guess I have to wait. I am watching them closely though, I do not want roosters.

I am so glad that the chicks I received are now healthy, I am really surprised that they shipped a deformed chick to the other poster, you would think they would see the deformity before they packed. I was also surprised that my orders were miscounted both times.

Here's some pictures of the field day trip the chicks had yesterday. They got to meet their older sisters.... This is Blackie the Black Australorp chick peeking up and our BO, Big Mama and Google, our BR looking in.

We put them in the run and the older chicks were very curious and were wondering why they were locked out.

Gizmo, our Blue Cochin was the only one who seemed friendly towards them

Here is Lucy the Salmon Faverolle enjoying her time outside

Here are the 13 week olds enjoying a little scratch

Our BO, Big Mama

Fred/Freida our Columbian Wyandotte

Here they are back in their brooder, soon we'll move this outside into the coop. It will have a lid. It has been so warm lately so we're going to integrate the two groups together next week.

A couple more shots roosting on the side of the Brinsea. This is Daisy our White Rock and Izzy, our Brown Leghorn.

I have a question for everyone who has adult Meyer Hatchery birds. What was the success rate for getting the correct genders that you ordered? Did you gets any boys when you ordered girls, and if so, how many?

This will be only my second time ordering with Meyers. The first time I got 5 females as ordered. :)

Called Meyer to confirm--my babies will be ready to pick up on Monday!! :celebrate Room is cleaned, brooder is set up, feeder and waterer washed and ready, 50lbs of chick feed bought, and I figure I have some time after the chicks arrive to put together their outside playpen. I am READY!! :weee

This will be only my second time ordering with Meyers. The first time I got 5 females as ordered.
smile.png

Called Meyer to confirm--my babies will be ready to pick up on Monday!!
celebrate.gif
Room is cleaned, brooder is set up, feeder and waterer washed and ready, 50lbs of chick feed bought, and I figure I have some time after the chicks arrive to put together their outside playpen. I am READY!!
wee.gif
Yay, Congrats!!!

Back
Top Bottom