Meyer Hatchery Chicken pics anyone??

I heard from northern relatives about that flash freeze. My cousin in Maine was stuck for awhile. All those pile ups too, so scary. Glad that you and your family are okay. Looks like even the weathermen were not aware of the problem until it happened.

The best thing about having the stomach virus was that I did not get either pregnant daughter-in-law sick. My son who's wife is 7 months was sick too, but she did well avoiding us sickies. My husband was great to help me out and also went to my son's house to help him, so his wife could avoid the illness.

After all that ice, I imagine that you cannot wait until warmer temps! I expect we're going to have some freezing weather soon too, I remember when I got my 1st chickens in February, it was unusually cold and I had to wait to put them in the coop. We had a freeze in March too last year. I am shocked that I am still picking vegetables from the garden this year. Of course, it is Swiss Chard which likes it a little cooler, but still.

Sorry to hear about the puppy trouble. I imagine it will be so nice once he is finally trained. He is so adorable though, maybe that face of his will help you cope?

That's a good plan. Buy early and a lot so you don't have to go during their chick sale!
wink.png

Oh no...be strong!!
Wow, I can't believe she's 7 months already!!! It must be getting so exciting around your house :)
Puppy is doing much better.... almost house broken.... she goes to the door when she needs to go out but she doesn't bark so we have to just keep watching her to see if she is headed toward the door. The chickens have gotten used to her crazy puppy antics and barking around the run so that's good.
Can I be a pain an ask you for the website again for the pet treats that your in laws own... I have a first appt with the vet on Mon with her and I want to find out what I can give her. So far she has only had her puppy food an nothing else so I'm a little leery of adding anything new yet. But she really wants to chew chew chew.... lots of toys to chew on but maybe a bully bone? I'll wait to ask the Vet.
I'm a little annoyed with the breeder because she 'made' me sign up for certain dog food and vitamins to get it sent to my house. She kept going on about how wonderful the food is and when I looked it up, it's no better than Costo brand (which is actually rated extremely high and 1/3 the price of the stuff she made me buy) Turns out she is a 'rep' for the company and makes money off of every bag I buy. I have a 4 month supply here and will probably stick with it till she is a year old but it's over $120 for 4 month supply!!!!!! I want to buy quality food but it exists for a lot less $$$

Wow, I can't believe she's 7 months already!!! It must be getting so exciting around your house :)
Puppy is doing much better.... almost house broken.... she goes to the door when she needs to go out but she doesn't bark so we have to just keep watching her to see if she is headed toward the door. The chickens have gotten used to her crazy puppy antics and barking around the run so that's good.
Can I be a pain an ask you for the website again for the pet treats that your in laws own... I have a first appt with the vet on Mon with her and I want to find out what I can give her. So far she has only had her puppy food an nothing else so I'm a little leery of adding anything new yet. But she really wants to chew chew chew.... lots of toys to chew on but maybe a bully bone? I'll wait to ask the Vet.
I'm a little annoyed with the breeder because she 'made' me sign up for certain dog food and vitamins to get it sent to my house. She kept going on about how wonderful the food is and when I looked it up, it's no better than Costo brand (which is actually rated extremely high and 1/3 the price of the stuff she made me buy) Turns out she is a 'rep' for the company and makes money off of every bag I buy. I have a 4 month supply here and will probably stick with it till she is a year old but it's over $120 for 4 month supply!!!!!! I want to buy quality food but it exists for a lot less $$$

Wow that's messed up that she made you buy the food she gets a kickback for. It's not like the puppy was free!

As for housebreaking, hang some bells from your doorknob almost to the floor. Before opening the door hit the bells with your dogs paw. He'll understand pretty quick that he can get you to open the door for him by ringing the bells. Then you don't have to feel like you'll miss him at the door.

Wow that's messed up that she made you buy the food she gets a kickback for. It's not like the puppy was free!

As for housebreaking, hang some bells from your doorknob almost to the floor. Before opening the door hit the bells with your dogs paw. He'll understand pretty quick that he can get you to open the door for him by ringing the bells. Then you don't have to feel like you'll miss him at the door.

Yes, I've used bells with my pit mix. He's so quiet, I was afraid i would notice him sitting by the door. Great little trick.

Has anyone in here provided eggs for schools to hatch out? If so how does it work and what was your experience. Please give the pro's and con's, also what happens to the baby chicks after hatching? Thanks, we were contacted to provide fertilIed eggs to an elemntary class. Do you have to go in and educate the class somewhat?

Yes, I've used bells with my pit mix. He's so quiet, I was afraid i would notice him sitting by the door. Great little trick.
My first pug was the same way, would never whine or make noise at the door. Since we had 2 floors I was always afraid I would miss her waiting there. Now we have a dog door and haven't had to worry about the bells with our 2 current pugs. :)

Oh yay! Love to see pics of your chickens Pip! Especially your Dorking twins and Mabel. Elda sounds like Baby, our Buff Orp, very possesive of mommy snuggle time. Victoria, the husband's Dorking, is a nice quiet companion that likes to come up and sit next to you but she doesn't crave the hugs like Baby does. My Marans and Golden Buff also got frostbite, I feel so bad for them, but no cracking or bleeding so thats good. I've been putting an anti-biotic ointment on their combs but would like to get some Green-Goo. Do you have pics of their eggs by any chance? Especially curious about the Welsummer eggs. Sorry to hear its been a rough time for you :( I hope the new year is brighter and that your beautiful snuggly chickens bring you much joy and comfort!

My son and I had a long weekend (Thursday-Tuesday) visiting my parents and sister down in Naples, Florida (they are down there for three months!). But it seemed every night I would dream about the chickens or wake up in the morning thinking I needed to let them out. The husband took good care of them and they were able to free range on Sunday and Monday while the snow was melting, but then of course it refroze and we got more.

Clara, our Easter Egger, didn't lay while we were gone and might not have laid for a few days before we left. I saw a few of her feathers in the coop yesterday but nothing like what was covering the coop floor and droppings board this morning. Poor dear! Now I have two molting girls, another who hasn't laid in 2 months, an every other day layer and an every day layer. And they are only 9 and half months old. Molt meatloaf is in the oven. I followed Fresh Eggs Daily's recipe a little more closely this time and its a much thicker consistency so it should actually slice not crumble. Added flaxseed and some red turkey wheat flour. So grateful to have local organic grains and meat to use. My herb cupboard is pitiful though.

Yes, it sounds like Kit-kit is more like your Dorking. Elly doesn't actively beg for attention like my Barred Rocks do, but never turns down a cuddle. And she loves lap time. :love Kit also doesn't mind attention and is super sweet, but seems to prefer to stand nearby and talk to you about it rather than being all over you like Elly is. :lol: I love my Dorkings so much. Definitely on my list of keepers. :D Let's just say, if I ever reach the point where I can have more birds, Dorkings have a spot reserved.

I think I posted a picture of Georgie's egg a while back, but here is a more recent one (next to a 'hiccup' egg that was blotched rather than solidly colored; both are Georgie's eggs). This picture really doesn't do them justice. They are a nice, solid, dark brown! Not as dark as some of the breeder quality Marans eggs I've seen, but so pretty anyway! And just what I hoped for when I got them! :D

This was Georgie's first egg, next to a brown egg from my Bielefelder, Violet, and a white egg that I think belongs to my Meyer Light Brown Leghorn, Whiri. I don't have any pictures of Mabel's eggs at the moment, but they are very similar to Georgie's first egg here, though a shade or two lighter. They look like a normal brown egg, but when they get wet, very fine speckles show up on them.

I'll make it a point to take pictures of their eggs the next time I have my camera out. :) Elda and Kit lay pretty white eggs, maybe just tinted as compared to my other white eggers' eggs. Still waiting on my non-Meyer Legbar to lay, though she's squatting at the drop of a pin, so hopefully soon! And, of course, dame Louise is too dignified to lay. :rolleyes:

I forget who in here I was discussing wild turkey's with but I had to share some pics and something that happened a couple days ago. I saw a huge group of them and got these pics. When I drove a bit past them there were more crossing the road, and the car coming towards me on the opposite side honked and three HUGE turkeys TOOK OFF FLYING into the coffee land! Have you ever seen a turkey fly? I thought they'd be similar to my girls and just jump and soar a bit but man! These three actually FLEW AWAY! It was the craziest thing I'd ever seen lol had to share!!

" Homestead Gardens, but not the big one in Davidsonville, thay always have chicks"

I've been there lots and never seen chicks..we are on the same rd at the end of 214 by the water..i need to get some plants to go around the coop run later this spring...might have to check them both out ...kids like to get over your way to play put put golf..near the other one.

Where is that ??? (like I need any more lol). I am gonna have extra Meyer Marans pullets at some point this Spring if things go well with our shipment (ordered extra Black Copper, Golden Cuckoo, Blue Splash, and Silver Cuckoo pullets) . Was just gonna put them on Craigslist after the kids brood them inside a few weeks and decide which ones they are keeping. We are also in AA co.
Lucky you with all those marans!

Hey all been doing some reason reading on homeopathic and natural chicken keeping practices and treatments, thought I would share these two sites.

http://www.kingbirdfarm.com/layerhealthcompendium.pdf

http://www.vethomopath.com/indpoultry.html
Thanks! for some reason the 2nd link didn't work for me.

That's terrible that she took advantage of you, I hope that you didn't sign up for too much repeating shipments.

Here is the link: http://www.unleashedmutt.com/Pages/default.aspx

You can read all about how they got the business started and about the owners and managers. My son is Hilal and he's married to the sister of one of the owners. They do specialize in all natural stuff and can even help with suggestions for dogs with allergies. Only problem is they still are not selling organic chicken feed, I do keep trying though.
wink.png
wink.png

We're still suggesting that they should open a store in Charlotte since they're almost 3 hours from us in Raleigh. Kinda for two reason, it would be nice to have a store closer, but more so, it would be nice if my son and his wife and soon to be grandson could live closer to us.
big_smile.png

and I promise I do not make any money off of their sales.
wink.png

Edited to add: My daughter in law is huge now! She is usually a small petite thing but she is going to have a big baby. Both her and my younger son (not the one from the dog store) moved into a brand new house a few weeks ago and it is just 15 minutes away. They have the baby's room almost all set up too. He put the crib together last week. Now we wait! It is getting so exciting and my son seems so nervous! My granddaughter will be very spoiled from us, plus her parents are even closer. Still so hard to believe for me. I can remember my children as babies like it was yesterday. Where does the time go?
I forget who in here I was discussing wild turkey's with but I had to share some pics and something that happened a couple days ago. I saw a huge group of them and got these pics. When I drove a bit past them there were more crossing the road, and the car coming towards me on the opposite side honked and three HUGE turkeys TOOK OFF FLYING into the coffee land! Have you ever seen a turkey fly? I thought they'd be similar to my girls and just jump and soar a bit but man! These three actually FLEW AWAY! It was the craziest thing I'd ever seen lol had to share!!

That is the first pretty turkey that I have seen. I didn't know that they flew so well either.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom