Meyer Hatchery Chicken pics anyone??

The strange looking thing between the light bulbs is a thermostat. Once you get it to the right place it will maintain the temp supposedly within .5 deg, but I haven't run it long enough to see if that's true for me. From what I've read you want the temp at 99.5 for one with a fan like mine.

Amber finally laid her first egg yesterday at 30 weeks and 6 days. It's a dark brown color with a few grayish brown speckles. I found it in the nest box last night when I closed the girls up for the night. I know it was definitely hers because Lilly and Daffodil already laid theirs in the morning, and my other brown egg layer is molting. I'm sad that it's not green, but it is still a really pretty egg. :)

So out of two EE's, one lays bluish green eggs and the other lays dark brown.

Last edited:
The strange looking thing between the light bulbs is a thermostat. Once you get it to the right place it will maintain the temp supposedly within .5 deg, but I haven't run it long enough to see if that's true for me. From what I've read you want the temp at 99.5 for one with a fan like mine.
Can't wait to follow along with your hatching!! I can't believe how cold it is there!!! Brrrr... How is it now?
Amber finally laid her first egg yesterday at 30 weeks and 6 days. It's a dark brown color with a few grayish brown speckles. I found it in the nest box last night when I closed the girls up for the night. I know it was definitely hers because Lilly and Daffodil already laid theirs in the morning, and my other brown egg layer is molting. I'm sad that it's not green, but it is still a really pretty egg.
smile.png

So out of two EE's, one lays bluish green eggs and the other lays dark brown.
Congrats on her first egg! Not green but at least a pretty dark brown :)

NotableNancy, what breed is that beautiful red, white, black, orange hen?? I think she is in the third and fourth pics. She is GORGEOUS! All your other ladies are beautiful too!!

Can't wait to follow along with your hatching!! I can't believe how cold it is there!!! Brrrr... How is it now?
Congrats on her first egg! Not green but at least a pretty dark brown :)
It got up to 18 today. It felt great. I still have the chickens locked up in their 10x4 enclosure. I think they are sick of being cooped up. It is supposed to warm up now so if it's sunny tomorrow I'll open up their enclosure so they can get out and stretch their legs a little more. Did I tell you guys Boomerang (SLP) burnt her crest? I am on the CO thread and I can't remember what I say here and what I say there. lol Anyway... I went to check on them in the other day and her crest looked strange. I looked closer and she had burnt her crest on both sides. I thought maybe the older girls had crowded her into the work light but I was watching them later and she stuck her head right between the guard and the light. Stupid chicken! Guess we won't be showing her at the stock show next month! Charlie (SLP) had icicles on the front of her crest. Poor thing looked miserable.The other two polish haven't had any problems.

NotableNancy, what breed is that beautiful red, white, black, orange hen?? I think she is in the third and fourth pics. She is GORGEOUS! All your other ladies are beautiful too!!
If I'm not mistaken that is what someone has coined the Nancy Brahma. :)

It got up to 18 today. It felt great. I still have the chickens locked up in their 10x4 enclosure. I think they are sick of being cooped up. It is supposed to warm up now so if it's sunny tomorrow I'll open up their enclosure so they can get out and stretch their legs a little more. Did I tell you guys Boomerang (SLP) burnt her crest? I am on the CO thread and I can't remember what I say here and what I say there. lol Anyway... I went to check on them in the other day and her crest looked strange. I looked closer and she had burnt her crest on both sides. I thought maybe the older girls had crowded her into the work light but I was watching them later and she stuck her head right between the guard and the light. Stupid chicken! Guess we won't be showing her at the stock show next month! Charlie (SLP) had icicles on the front of her crest. Poor thing looked miserable.The other two polish haven't had any problems.

If I'm not mistaken that is what someone has coined the Nancy Brahma. :)
Yup, thats my NB!! Oh my goodness burnt her crest, she must have loved the warmth on her!!

LOL thanks... Yup, that's the famous Nancy Brahma. She's supposed to be a Buff Brahma but seems to be a mix of light brahma and buff. Stella is very sweet and lays a pretty spotted egg, pic below. We decided Meyer should develop this breed and have already named it the Nancy Brahma
wink.png

Here's a close up pic of her...

A Buff Brahma was the #1 breed I wanted so I ordered 2 of them from Meyer. One ended up being a rooster with a cross beak (I can't have a rooster) and the other, Stella,
is a mix but she's a sweetie pie.

Last edited:
Yup, thats my NB!! Oh my goodness burnt her crest, she must have loved the warmth on her!! LOL thanks... Yup, that's the famous Nancy Brahma. She's supposed to be a Buff Brahma but seems to be a mix of light brahma and buff. Stella is very sweet and lays a pretty spotted egg, pic below. We decided Meyer should develop this breed and have already named it the Nancy Brahma ;) Here's a close up pic of her... A Buff Brahma was the #1 breed I wanted so I ordered 2 of them from Meyer. One ended up being a rooster with a cross beak (I can't have a rooster) and the other, Stella, is a mix but she's a sweetie pie.
She is gorgeous. I just realized after looking at this picture that she only has feathers on one of her legs. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom