Meyer Hatchery Chicken pics anyone??

Looks like your chicks have a great setup!

Ducklings are SO hard to resist! Luckily we do not have anywhere near the setup for them or I'm sure we'd have some by now. 

Opinions needed: If you could buy 10 acres of your dream land with a house that leaves A LOT to be desired OR 5 acres of land that is ok with a nice house, which would you go for and why?

More details: 
10 acres: beautiful land with perfect mix of trees and grass, 4 horse loafing shed and views, the house is very tiny, no closet space (we are already busting at the seams in our current house and this one is even smaller), needs siding, garage doors, and everything in the room downstairs (DH said it looked and smelled like a dog had lived down there w/ no access to outside), driveway needs fixing, and the deck is coming off
5 acres: the land is slightly slanted with 1 or 2 trees, good chicken coop, 2 horse loafing shed that needs work (we would probably just use this for storage and build a barn), house is good just needs appliances and floors refinished, has nice views, asking price $50K above 10 acre property

I guess it depends on if this is a stepping stone or are you going to live here forever its always nice to have more land and if this is a forever house then you can take your time rennovating the house If its that small though you may have to build an addition which is big money
The 5 acre house... Does it have neighbors right up to the property line or does it seem like more land? I am only on an acre but because we back up to woods and the neighbors are situated on an angle it seems like much more land That would help me make up my mind too
Personally, I would go with the 5acres. Houses suck up so much $$ and time when renovating. Much more than you ever think. You could always plant trees and then they're where you want them to be. And it has a nice coop already!!!

Looks like your chicks have a great setup!

Ducklings are SO hard to resist! Luckily we do not have anywhere near the setup for them or I'm sure we'd have some by now. 

Opinions needed: If you could buy 10 acres of your dream land with a house that leaves A LOT to be desired OR 5 acres of land that is ok with a nice house, which would you go for and why?

More details: 
10 acres: beautiful land with perfect mix of trees and grass, 4 horse loafing shed and views, the house is very tiny, no closet space (we are already busting at the seams in our current house and this one is even smaller), needs siding, garage doors, and everything in the room downstairs (DH said it looked and smelled like a dog had lived down there w/ no access to outside), driveway needs fixing, and the deck is coming off
5 acres: the land is slightly slanted with 1 or 2 trees, good chicken coop, 2 horse loafing shed that needs work (we would probably just use this for storage and build a barn), house is good just needs appliances and floors refinished, has nice views, asking price $50K above 10 acre property

I think I'd go with the 5 acres. Which space do you need more inside or outside? I am also still doing projects on a house that we settled for because we wanted some land. I can relate to that. Plus I think I'd rather be working outside and have a house to relax in than work outside and come inside and look at more projects that need to be done. But that's just my experience. I don't know what I'd do with 5 acres, let alone 10. Hehe.

Good points. Thanks. I too would like the inside to be relaxing. I don't think the 10acre house would be. I think it would be stressful not having places for all our junk. We don't mind projects but that would take an addition and DH said the way the house is it wouldn't be an easy or cheap task. It's not like we would have the difference in price sitting around in cash. We'd just have a little extra each month. It would take a long time to save up enough to add on to the house.

Another property just came on the market on 40 acres for a lot less than either of these. But there are no pics of the inside of the house. Just one outside pic of the house and one of the outside of the barn. Can't tell much from that! Come on people!

Right now we are mostly on the side of the 5 acre one. Only problem with that whole county is they only allow 15 chickens on something that size. Give me a break!

Good points. Thanks. I too would like the inside to be relaxing. I don't think the 10acre house would be. I think it would be stressful not having places for all our junk. We don't mind projects but that would take an addition and DH said the way the house is it wouldn't be an easy or cheap task. It's not like we would have the difference in price sitting around in cash. We'd just have a little extra each month. It would take a long time to save up enough to add on to the house.

Another property just came on the market on 40 acres for a lot less than either of these. But there are no pics of the inside of the house. Just one outside pic of the house and one of the outside of the barn. Can't tell much from that! Come on people!

Right now we are mostly on the side of the 5 acre one. Only problem with that whole county is they only allow 15 chickens on something that size. Give me a break!
Oh wow! Only 15? That could change my mind against it for sure. That's crazy 5 acres and only 15? Here we could have 100 chickens on that many acres since 20 per acre and were very close to downtown Charlotte.

40 acres? Wow, I would not know where to begin with that much land. I'd hang in there if I were you, bet there is another one that you have not even seen yet. Of course if the 40 acre one has a nice house...possibility there!

Thanks... I think I'll get some.

How exciting!! Check out Craigslist; I think you'll be surprised how many people near you have fertilized eggs. Maybe you're looking for certain breeds though? I'm only 15 min from Phila and there are tons of ads for eggs and chicks this time of year... and great breeds too! And what will you do with the boys that hatch out? Soup?
Forgot to answer your question. Yup, chicken soup for sure. I really want another White Leghorn since ours was killed last year by the stray dog, those leghorns and TSC are still peeping in my head......my husband was actually trying to convince me to get some chicks too, he wants some bantams, but those are straight run...peep peep peep...do you guys here them too?
big_smile.png

Normally, I would say go for the bigger piece of land, you can always improve a house, you can't grow more acres (in fact, I think I did say that or a least something like that in another post), but, in this instance, I would have to agree with everyone else and say go for the 5 acres with the better house. From what you said about not having the money to do major renovations for a long time, the 10 acre fixer-upper is probably not the best choice for you now. I hope that the 40 acre house doesn't need much work, but, from my experience, if they only show an exterior photo, I am guessing it is because the interior is very outdated and needs a lot of work. I hope I am wrong because owning 40 acres would be awesome!!

I live on just under 5 acres, almost 2 of which are wooded) and a portion of which slopes down in the back of our house. It's a great yard and it keeps us plenty busy with the upkeep. That being said, I would love to have more acres so that I could have a couple of Jersey cows and have a good sized garden and, in the next 10 years, my husband and I might buy a small farm somewhere and fix up an old farmhouse. Fifteen years ago, however, when my kids were 3, 4 and 6, I would never be able to afford to buy and fix up such a property and also be able to deal with the upheaval that renovations cause. So, I guess what I am saying, it is a matter of what currently would fit the needs of your family and what you could take on without reaching your breaking point! Good luck with whatever choice you make!

I'm sure they don't have pics of the inside of the house on 40 acres for a reason. Not a good reason
And you know how hard it is to count chickens when they move around so fast... And who is going to complain if you have 20 or 30 :lol:

Forgot to answer your question. Yup, chicken soup for sure. I really want another White Leghorn since ours was killed last year by the stray dog, those leghorns and TSC are still peeping in my head......my husband was actually trying to convince me to get some chicks too, he wants some bantams, but those are straight run...peep peep peep...do you guys here them too?:D

I do hear them peeping!! I really want a leghorn too. The place I'm getting my chicks have them almost every week except next week. If they have any left from this week when I go to pick mine up one might just find its way into my box :D

Ok folks, here are the first few pictures of my new chicks, picked up today! Clockwise from yellow: Golden Buff, Golden Laced Wyandotte, Speckled Sussex, and Barred Rock.

They seem to be doing ok so far, although the barred rock hasn't shown much interest in eating or drinking. The others have all started pecking at the crumbles and the Grogel.

Ok folks, here are the first few pictures of my new chicks, picked up today! Clockwise from yellow: Golden Buff, Golden Laced Wyandotte, Speckled Sussex, and Barred Rock.

They seem to be doing ok so far, although the barred rock hasn't shown much interest in eating or drinking. The others have all started pecking at the crumbles and the Grogel.
sooo cute
love.gif
i hope mine hatch
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom