Meyer Hatchery Chicken pics anyone??

Just because everyone else is doing it...My RIR Persimmon. She has a wing that doesn't tuck under right. Maybe that's what a split wing is? But it doesn't bother her any and she's quiet, pretty calm, and a great layer.

She has a very impressive comb! She looks really healthy! How old is she now?

Just because everyone else is doing it...My RIR Persimmon. She has a wing that doesn't tuck under right. Maybe that's what a split wing is? But it doesn't bother her any and she's quiet, pretty calm, and a great layer.

She has a very impressive comb! She looks really healthy! How old is she now?

Thanks! She will be one year old in September. Boy did the time fly!

My guess for the lighter ones is Rhode Island Red, New Hampshire Red, Buff Orpington, and maybe Delaware or White Rock. I'm basing this on what they had listed under their available to ship section. The darker ones I am not sure, this is only the second time we have had chicks. Here is a picture of each one if anyone wants to make some guesses.
They are all so adorable! My guess would be golden laced Wyandotte??
I agree, the black and brown ones look like GL Wyandottes. :) Your reds look like Rhodies, but the lighter colored ones have me thrown. Do they have greenish legs or is it just the picture that makes them look like that? I wonder if they are Austra whites?

I agree, the black and brown ones look like GL Wyandottes.
smile.png
Your reds look like Rhodies, but the lighter colored ones have me thrown. Do they have greenish legs or is it just the picture that makes them look like that? I wonder if they are Austra whites?

That's what the gal from Meyer said, GL Wyandottes. They didn't have any Austra Whites on their availability list when I ordered, so I don't think that's what they are. I am thinking White Rock or Buff Orpington.

I agree, the black and brown ones look like GL Wyandottes. :) Your reds look like Rhodies, but the lighter colored ones have me thrown. Do they have greenish legs or is it just the picture that makes them look like that? I wonder if they are Austra whites?

That's what the gal from Meyer said, GL Wyandottes. They didn't have any Austra Whites on their availability list when I ordered, so I don't think that's what they are. I am thinking White Rock or Buff Orpington.

The light yellow ones look like they could be Delawares.

I have no idea but sooooo cute!! I love the Buff Silkies and such a difference between hatchery and breeder silkies. Big difference in size but I know you can't just go by that; is their comb size different or the poof on head.. one swept back or straight up?
They barely have poofs or combs yet...we still have a long wait I'm afraid. :)

My Dellie looked like that too. She had green legs.

Quote:
Wow, that's really dark. You have a pretty egg basket!!! It took 3 1/2 days but shes back to normal. this one was a hassle because i was putting her in the garage each night bec i was afraid she would start squawking at first light. I hope the cold water dunk helps your broody. with the warm weather we were havin i didnt feel bad at all, it probably felt good! Cant wait to get her big eggs again!
Quote:
Wow, I didn't know they would go broody. I guess any of them can even if they say they have bred it out of them.
Quote:She's so pretty!!! Great comb and wattles!!!

Quote:When I posted pics of my they said it was a big 'comb' even though there's no comb yet. I think they just mean the space where the comb will be?? If there's a big difference between the 2 maybe that will help you figure it out?

Last edited:
They barely have poofs or combs yet...we still have a long wait I'm afraid. :)
Ok, I looked at them this morning really closely - both of their combs are barely starting to come in & they look about the same size. Brownies may be going back a little further, but it is not wider. I don't see any major difference in the size available for a comb either.

I guess it is possible that I have a dominant female (Brownie) who is just acting more like what I would expect a roo to act like. But I'm not going to hold my breath until either an egg drops or I hear a cock-a-doodle-do!

Back
Top Bottom