Meyer Hatchery Chicken pics anyone??

We lost our br this morning. :-(
. . . My daughter feels guilty that she slept in. I told her there was nothing she could've done and she said, "yeah but at least I could've made her more comfortable and spent time with her."

You have a very sweet daughter!

Uh oh...

Hopefully somebody can take advantage of this.

Cute picture with the hens and picket fence. Is that a little person in the picture too?
Yep that's my 5 year old son Rowan digging in the dirt. Here's another shot of Morgaine "guarding" him. Not the clearest shot of her, but it was a cute moment.

So sorry to hear that! It's heart warming to hear she held her spot on her last night. Make sure to let you daughter know we all think she shouldn't blame herself.

I've been supervised "free-ranging" the girls more and more lately. Sometimes in the morning, sometimes in the evenings, today we did both. I love watching them explore. Favorite two shots from today:

Miss Amelia

And Baby

@trsturself
How old was your BR? Sometimes I wonder what to expect as a lifespan of these chickens. I've heard so many different numbers, but some seem to go without any real cause.
I hope your daughter will realize it's not her fault. It's really just a part of raising these animals. :hugs

She was 1 1/2 years old.

It's been quite a day. When I got home from work we cleaned out the whole coop, changed the roosts like I like them, removed the stupid chicken wire the previous owner had in there, and have them a new water dish with electrolytes and probiotics.

Then as we are doing all that I turn around and notice our pugs weren't around. DD and I searched the neighborhood for over an hour with only a few paw prints at the end of the driveway to show for it. Then as we are sitting at home we hear some baking that sounds like them. DD and I run outside but it's the neighbors pug. We are about to go back inside and I glance over at our driveway (which is 2 acres long) and there they are half way down it! We were so happy to see them!

She was 1 1/2 years old.

It's been quite a day. When I got home from work we cleaned out the whole coop, changed the roosts like I like them, removed the stupid chicken wire the previous owner had in there, and have them a new water dish with electrolytes and probiotics.

Then as we are doing all that I turn around and notice our pugs weren't around. DD and I searched the neighborhood for over an hour with only a few paw prints at the end of the driveway to show for it. Then as we are sitting at home we hear some baking that sounds like them. DD and I run outside but it's the neighbors pug. We are about to go back inside and I glance over at our driveway (which is 2 acres long) and there they are half way down it! We were so happy to see them!

Oh my goodness! What a day! Glad the pugs are ok. Hoping tomorrow is an easy going type of day for you.

She was 1 1/2 years old.

Do you think there might have been some remaining contamination from previous chickens that the last owners had that is affecting your chickens now? Good job with all the cleaning, that is a lot of work. You didn't waste anytime. Good job. I hope that the rest do okay. Maybe your one hen that died had a weaker immune system already.

You did have quite a day yesterday. Glad to hear that you pugs are okay!

Yesterday morning she was in the nest box but then when I went out there in the afternoon to check on them I noticed she wasn't it free ranging. I found her standing in the coop. She just looked at me. She wasn't all fluffed up so I didn't think too much of it, though I did say to my daughter I don't think she feels well. When I checked on them last night she was in her usual spot on the top roost. I told my daughter we should bring her inside the next day. I don't know why I could just tell she wasn't herself. This morning I went to feed them and found her still sitting on the roost, breathing really hard. I could hear the rattle of her breathing. I told my daughter to bring her into a steamy bathroom and give her some water and yogurt when she got up.
Well I got a call from my daughter a little while ago totally crying. She found her dead in the coop. :-(
She was one of our firsts and very friendly. My daughter is taking it hard.
I'm going to stop and pick up some medicine on my way home to treat everyone else. I heard of ba sneezing this morning but no one else is showing signs. I'd been battling lice on her for awhile now. No matter what I did she seemed to always have them. Then we've had a lot of rain lately and I think her immune system was just too low. My daughter feels guilty that she slept in. I told her there was nothing she could've done and she said, "yeah but at least I could've made her more comfortable and spent time with her."
Oh how sad. I hope your daughter knows she couldn't have done anything. The hens really hide their sickness until it's just to late most of the time. Sounds like you are on top of the situation with cleaning etc. Sending hugs your way
hugs.gif

I've been thinking about how unhappy I am with the plywood. The solution I came up with is to drill small holes in the board to allow for even more ventilation. If I could make the holes in a pattern or maybe the outline of chickens, then I may like it. Kinda like you see lanterns or candle holders. Of course, this is the idea. The execution of the idea is a whole other thing. I am just not that artistic!
love this idea.

I am so proud of everyone shrinking those pictures! Makes reading so much simpler on my dinosaur, virus ridden computer! Always freezing and stopping so thanks all!

Only 5 more days till my Meyer order of 3 arrive! 2 Olive Eggers and 1 Golden Buff who will hopefully join the adult flick of layers in 4 months. My first delivery of 3 (2014 edition) are 14weeks and are big enough to hold their own but don't want to expose them to a courting rooster and not be able
Escape his advances when confined to the run because I will have to leave the entire flock in for a while so the reset their homing balance to a new coop. I want to wait until they at least are squatting and teaches sexual maturity.
I have been hatching with my little Brinsea mini advance for 4 hatches now and am getting ready to set my last batch of Swedish Flower Hens. Send me some positive pullet vibes everyone since my last attempt with SFH resulted in 3 hatching and two are cockerels. I want some girls to go with them both!! Melding all these different ages has proved challenging and I hope I can peacefully attain my goal of two desperate cohesive laying flocks!

MB
I still haven't figured out how to shrink... sorry. Does it work on an Apple?? I can't seem to figure it out but that's no surprise to me.
I'm getting a small replacement order this week... 3 GB and I snagged the last OE!!!!!! I will just have to sell 2 GB either as chicks or when they're off the heat.

Yay! Five more days for me too! Two blue ameraucanas, and one each: Ex Leghorn, light brahma, cuckoo marans, lav orp, welsummer, and speckled Sussex. Woohoo!!
Yay!!! So far I absolutely LOVE my Ex Leghorns. One is just the sweetest little chick!!!

Just the Meyer Chicks... hangin out cuddlin
Black Australorp - Edna and Barred Rock (we think) Eggnes.. sorry, I was just swimming
So cute!!

Yep that's my 5 year old son Rowan digging in the dirt. Here's another shot of Morgaine "guarding" him. Not the clearest shot of her, but it was a cute moment.

So sorry to hear that! It's heart warming to hear she held her spot on her last night. Make sure to let you daughter know we all think she shouldn't blame herself.

I've been supervised "free-ranging" the girls more and more lately. Sometimes in the morning, sometimes in the evenings, today we did both. I love watching them explore. Favorite two shots from today:
Rowan is ADORABLE!!! Love that pic :)

She was 1 1/2 years old.

Oh boy, that is a rough day. So glad the pugs turned up. Guess they decided to take themselves on a little stroll!!

Back
Top Bottom