Meyer Hatchery Chicken pics anyone??

IT was all her choice - she was the one who chose to sit outside in the dark instead of being in the nice coop! And to try to peck me at that!!!
So how are your chicks doing with the nipple fountain? I am still debating getting one. I enjoyed your blog pics.

Oh and I meant to ask. Did the system come with the hose hook up too? Did you get anything to winterize it? I am looking into a system that will maintain the chickens for a few days in case we travel. It also would be nice not to have to change the water out every few days and for them to always have fresh water.

Last edited:
So how are your chicks doing with the nipple fountain? I am still debating getting one. I enjoyed your blog pics.

Oh and I meant to ask. Did the system come with the hose hook up too? Did you get anything to winterize it? I am looking into a system that will maintain the chickens for a few days in case we travel. It also would be nice not to have to change the water out every few days and for them to always have fresh water.
My chicks have been on a nipple system since they were hatched basically, so converting from 1 nipple system to another has not been difficult. I LOVE The Chicken Fountain! LOVE LOVE LOVE!!! Set it up, attach a hose, and basically forget it! They always have fresh water!

It comes with everything you need to hook up except the garden hose to run from your spigot to the fountain, because who knows how much hose you would need. But everything you see in this picture from the silver braided hose on comes with the system. I did add the RAS (remote additive system) - that is the long clear tube running outside the coop so that I can add Apple Cider Vinegar, medications, vitamins, electrolytes, etc easily & without having to go into the coop. It is an add-on & not 100% necessary, but it makes it a little easier.

I have not gotten a winterizing kit yet, as they were sold out when I ordered. I do plan on ordering one though. The only thing about winterizing is that it is virtually impossible to winterize your garden hose. So you do have to disconnect from the hose & cart water daily to the fountain during the winter. But they aren't pooping in it & it won't freeze since you will have a heater in there. If I could figure out a way to keep the hose from freezing, then I could run it as is all winter...but I don't see that happening. I have the mini version, but with 3 nipples added. It holds about a gallon of water - that will last them about 1-2 days.

I really can't say enough good things about The Chicken Fountain - awesome customer service (I've emailed a couple of times with questions, comments) and always gotten a very prompt reply; it's a nice, compact design that is well thought out. The install instructions are clear. The packaging is nice & includes EVERYTHING you need to install except the garden hose - including PVC cement. My chickens love it & run to it 1st thing. Plus - no poop in the water; no knocked over water dishes; no worrying about water running out on hot days.

No, I don't get a commission...just love a great product. It is an investment, but one that will last a lifetime.

Last edited:
here is a shot of our BO roo's. They get along really well and we consider them brothers, raised together. Oh and they are fairly friendly.

Your Roos are beautiful!

My chicks have been on a nipple system since they were hatched basically, so converting from 1 nipple system to another has not been difficult. I LOVE The Chicken Fountain! LOVE LOVE LOVE!!! Set it up, attach a hose, and basically forget it! They always have fresh water!
I really like the idea of the Chicken Fountain but we only have one working hose spigot and we need our hose to water the garden. We have nipples I picked up from Meyer, we just need to get a covered bucket and get drilling.

I really like the idea of the Chicken Fountain but we only have one working hose spigot and we need our hose to water the garden. We have nipples I picked up from Meyer, we just need to get a covered bucket and get drilling.
I only have 1 spigot too - what you do is get a splitter like this

http://www.amazon.com/Hose-Splitter...10013343&sr=8-3&keywords=garden+hose+splitter

You can get them for 2, 3, 4 hoses and each hose can be individually turned off/on. That way you can still have your hose for the garden, car washing, etc...AND your chicken fountain!

I have a 3 way right now - 1 for watering the garden, 1 open & capped for future use, and 1 for the fountain.

Last edited:
Your Roos are beautiful!

Thanks, they are Meyer birds of course!

http://www.amazon.com/Hose-Splitter-Controllers-Accessories-Refrigerator/dp/B00KNPAQ9M/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1410013343&sr=8-3&keywords=garden+hose+splitter

You can get them for 2, 3, 4 hoses and each hose can be individually turned off/on. That way you can still have your hose for the garden, car washing, etc...AND your chicken fountain!

I have a 3 way right now - 1 for watering the garden, 1 open & capped for future use, and 1 for the fountain.
love the waterer, can I ask how much they cost? I haven't gone out and checked them out. Wondering if dear bf can build. I am sure I need to wait, we have to many chicken projects going on that he has to do.....don't want to push my luck! Thanks for sharing.

On a side note so since Sunday, I have gotten four eggs, I believe from the same hen. I have not been able to figure out who, but today after breakfast I saw a BR go into the nest box. She was in there for quiet awhile, I gave up after about 30 minutes as the dogs were outside being naughty, so I went and put them I the house and fed them. While I was inside, I was pretty sure I heard an egg song. So after supervising the four dogs at mealtime, I went out and sure enough there was a little brown egg. Here is a shot if her first egg and the one today. They are getting a little bigger, still weigh the same.

I saw a couple girls go into the small coop where we have three nest boxes and check out the action, so others are definitely curious.

http://www.amazon.com/Hose-Splitter-Controllers-Accessories-Refrigerator/dp/B00KNPAQ9M/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1410013343&sr=8-3&keywords=garden+hose+splitter

We have a 3 way splitter on ours, one for the hose for horse water, one for the fruit trees and one open for filing water buckets to bring to the chickens, goats, and dogs.

I used a nipple system in the past and loved it. We made it so it caught rain water off the coop roof. Rarely had to refill it. But it didn't survive a freezing. The pipe started leaking around the nipples. I didn't have a heater in there but I've read different things about that. Most people say the nipples themselves still freeze even with a heater. I plan to make another system at last for warm months. If I still lived in a climate that didn't freeze all winter it would be great.

There are so many different configurations and add on items that it is really best to go to the website and figure out what will work best for your flock!

http://chickenfountain.com/

If you have any questions, feel free to submit a question through the comments section & you will get a very speedy reply - usually the same day, or at the latest 24 hrs...that has been my experience.

I really like the idea of the Chicken Fountain but we only have one working hose spigot and we need our hose to water the garden.  We have nipples I picked up from Meyer, we just need to get a covered bucket and get drilling.

My hose is way too far from my coop to hook up to a waterer. So, I have a 5 gallon pail that I refill with gallon jugs. A little more cumbersome but definitely better than filling and cleaning the regular water jugs all the time. I have a short braided hose coming from the bottom of the bucket to the PVC pipe.

I think I will make one with the nipples directly on the bottom of the bucket for inside the coop for winter. I could insulate the pipe and heat the water in the bucket but heating that braided hose would be tough.

By the way, if you do use a bucket, get a screw on lid for your 5 gallon bucket. It will make it so much easier to refill. They sell them at Home Depot or Lowes along side of the buckets!

@Mama - what does the actual watering station look like for your girls? I showed my BF the chicken fountain and he said he can totally build one. I like your bucket system as well and was curious what the chickens drink out of?

Back
Top Bottom