Meyer Hatchery Chicken pics anyone??

That's unusual! Swedish Flower hens? Hm. Swedish Flower Hens are a landrace with no real standard, so at the very least as long as they don't outcross their line, they should be pure birds, right?

I have a Swedish flower hen, but not from Meyer (obviously ;) ). It seems like the reddish ones are more common, but she's blue with a hint of red, and mottled. And she has a crest to rival Polish! I'm not sure if I've mentioned her here before, but she joined the feathered family when her last owner was having difficulty helping her fit into her past flock due to her lack of confidence. She became like the big sister of my 2014 gals (posted on the last page) when they were young, and because she got to be the big boss for once, she was able to integrate into my main flock with ease and confidence. :)

Tilde:

Last edited:
That's unusual! Swedish Flower hens? Hm. Swedish Flower Hens are a landrace with no real standard, so at the very least as long as they don't outcross their line, they should be pure birds, right?

I have a Swedish flower hen, but not from Meyer (obviously ;) ). It seems like the reddish ones are more common, but she's blue with a hint of red, and mottled. And she has a crest to rival Polish! I'm not sure if I've mentioned her here before, but she joined the feathered family when her last owner was having difficulty helping her fit into her past flock due to her lack of confidence. She became like the big sister of my 2014 gals (posted on the last page) when they were young, and because she got to be the big boss for once, she was able to integrate into my main flock with ease and confidence. :)

Tilde:

She's so pretty! Of course they have some "breeds" that really are not standard already (easter eggers, olive eggers & the like). As long as they stay close to the way the breed is represented that would be great!

Wow that's messed up that she made you buy the food she gets a kickback for. It's not like the puppy was free!

As for housebreaking, hang some bells from your doorknob almost to the floor. Before opening the door hit the bells with your dogs paw. He'll understand pretty quick that he can get you to open the door for him by ringing the bells. Then you don't have to feel like you'll miss him at the door.
Haha... no, she certainly wasn't free!!! But if she disclosed the fact she gets $$ out of it I wouldn't be so annoyed. I don't think that's right.
Love the bell idea but how do I keep a rambunctious puppy from playing with a hanging bell? I can just imaging she will rip the bell off and chew it to pieces. Maybe I will try it when she is finished teething. Glad to hear others do it and it works.

Has anyone in here provided eggs for schools to hatch out? If so how does it work and what was your experience. Please give the pro's and con's, also what happens to the baby chicks after hatching? Thanks, we were contacted to provide fertilIed eggs to an elemntary class. Do you have to go in and educate the class somewhat?
Our public schools changed the curriculum for kindergarten an got rid of the 'chick hatching' experience. Such a shame. It was so nice the kids could see that. Heaven forbid they do something that's not on the state tests they start taking a few years after that.

I forget who in here I was discussing wild turkey's with but I had to share some pics and something that happened a couple days ago. I saw a huge group of them and got these pics. When I drove a bit past them there were more crossing the road, and the car coming towards me on the opposite side honked and three HUGE turkeys TOOK OFF FLYING into the coffee land! Have you ever seen a turkey fly? I thought they'd be similar to my girls and just jump and soar a bit but man! These three actually FLEW AWAY! It was the craziest thing I'd ever seen lol had to share!!

We have had wild turkeys in our yard an saw one fly into a tree but it didn't go that far. And it wasn't as pretty as yours. Guess cause you are in Hawaii an everything is prettier there!!!!

That's terrible that she took advantage of you, I hope that you didn't sign up for too much repeating shipments.

Here is the link: http://www.unleashedmutt.com/Pages/default.aspx

You can read all about how they got the business started and about the owners and managers. My son is Hilal and he's married to the sister of one of the owners. They do specialize in all natural stuff and can even help with suggestions for dogs with allergies. Only problem is they still are not selling organic chicken feed, I do keep trying though.
wink.png
wink.png

We're still suggesting that they should open a store in Charlotte since they're almost 3 hours from us in Raleigh. Kinda for two reason, it would be nice to have a store closer, but more so, it would be nice if my son and his wife and soon to be grandson could live closer to us.
big_smile.png

and I promise I do not make any money off of their sales.
wink.png

Edited to add: My daughter in law is huge now! She is usually a small petite thing but she is going to have a big baby. Both her and my younger son (not the one from the dog store) moved into a brand new house a few weeks ago and it is just 15 minutes away. They have the baby's room almost all set up too. He put the crib together last week. Now we wait! It is getting so exciting and my son seems so nervous! My granddaughter will be very spoiled from us, plus her parents are even closer. Still so hard to believe for me. I can remember my children as babies like it was yesterday. Where does the time go?
That is the first pretty turkey that I have seen. I didn't know that they flew so well either.
Such a great website and so many services at their store! You can wash your own dog in their sink... LOVE that. AND they take Paypal.... I will be buying for sure. I have some $$ in my account burning a hole in my pocket. Can't wait to see what the vet suggests for puppies. After our horrible 'pigs ear' incident I'm afraid to give them anything. I did see that the 2 bit dog food chains took out all the China made jerky treats killing dogs but they are still in tons of other stores.
So nice your son/DIL moved so close!! Dream come true I'm sure :)
you gave me a good idea... maybe I can tell breeder my pup developed an allergy to the food and had to change!! I have enough food for about 4-5 months but I'd like to switch to something I don't have to pay shipping for and also pay so much for. For no reason!!
Time certainly does fly. We'll be empty nesters this coming fall but I think my older son wants to go to law school so when he graduates next spring he'll be back to live with us and go to school. Luckily we have several good schools near us so we can save a little money on room/board.
I have a Swedish flower hen, but not from Meyer (obviously
wink.png
). It seems like the reddish ones are more common, but she's blue with a hint of red, and mottled. And she has a crest to rival Polish! I'm not sure if I've mentioned her here before, but she joined the feathered family when her last owner was having difficulty helping her fit into her past flock due to her lack of confidence. She became like the big sister of my 2014 gals (posted on the last page) when they were young, and because she got to be the big boss for once, she was able to integrate into my main flock with ease and confidence.
smile.png

Tilde:

Wow, she's so different looking... in a GREAT way!!

Got my horizontal nipple waterers built and put them in the run. I put one in the run yesterday around 4:30. Took about 2 minutes until some of the girls figured out how to use it. I put the second one in the run this am before letting everyone out, pulled their other waterers and let them out. They took to it like it had ways been there. The BR and Delawares have been the ones to take the lead and have shown others. I still need to secure them against some support poles in the run and put the bucket heaters in them as well, which I will do today. Next task is building the no waste bucket style feeders and get them set up, I will be building them out of a 15 gallon plastic drum and a five gallon bucket. Surgery is a week from tomorrow and I have been trying to get things organized, meals made, chickens streamlined, etc. I am glad our girls took to the watered so easily, wasn't sure they would since we used nipple waterers before. Also I bought 15 nipples not realizing that one nipple waterers 6-8 birds and I have only used 9, so will have plenty to set up waterers for baby chicks this spring and to have a bucket in their free range area as well.

Hope everyone back east is staying warm.

Got my horizontal nipple waterers built and put them in the run. I put one in the run yesterday around 4:30. Took about 2 minutes until some of the girls figured out how to use it. I put the second one in the run this am before letting everyone out, pulled their other waterers and let them out. They took to it like it had ways been there. The BR and Delawares have been the ones to take the lead and have shown others. I still need to secure them against some support poles in the run and put the bucket heaters in them as well, which I will do today. Next task is building the no waste bucket style feeders and get them set up, I will be building them out of a 15 gallon plastic drum and a five gallon bucket. Surgery is a week from tomorrow and I have been trying to get things organized, meals made, chickens streamlined, etc. I am glad our girls took to the watered so easily, wasn't sure they would since we used nipple waterers before. Also I bought 15 nipples not realizing that one nipple waterers 6-8 birds and I have only used 9, so will have plenty to set up waterers for baby chicks this spring and to have a bucket in their free range area as well.

Hope everyone back east is staying warm.

Awesome job! I'd love to see the feeders when you get that done. I like my PVC feeders, but would love something that eliminates even a little more waste. I can't believe how much feed we go through now. Although 3xs the birds is 3xs the feed, right? Duh! Obviously I wasn't thinking about that when I kept adding chicks to my order last year! Lol.

Back
Top Bottom