Meyer Hatchery Chicken pics anyone??

I promised I would update with pics, so, here it goes...

My Buff Orpington and MMM (Thinking Golden Buff now). Both are very sweet and the first to approach when I enter their pen.
IMG_7453.jpg

My Black-based and Blue-based Easter Eggers. The blue-based is super sweet, but I am a little worried about the black-based as it appears to have 3 rows of peas which can often mean roo. I guess time will tell.
IMG_7454.jpg

My Exchequer Leghorn and Appenzeller Spitzhauben. The Leghorn is also sweet but starting to jump on me... putting an end to that now. I do love the spots on her legs though. As a person whose grandfather raised Dalmations and who has owned several Dalmations myself, I am loving the spots that are coming in on my Appenzeller.
IMG_7455.jpg

My Black Copper Marans. The one started developing a pretty large and pink comb right away but I'm not worried about her much anymore.
IMG_7460.jpg

My Blue and Splash Marans. The Blue is quite friendly. Hoping the splash starts showing more spotting soon. She has an interesting comb which looks like it has a wart at the base.
IMG_7459.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_7453.jpg
    IMG_7453.jpg
    387.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
My Welsummer-Crested Legbar Olive Egger
IMG_7466.jpg

My Marans-Ameraucana Olive Egger
IMG_7467.jpg

And, my light and dark Blue Ameraucanas. Love the muffs and beard on the light blue.
IMG_7468.jpg

Really anxious to see the egg color on these and the Marans.

Last edited:
Hi. I just got my babies this week and thought I'd post pictures of the girls :D

Blue Ameraucana (one splash, one blue)
BAms (2).jpg

Black Australops
BAus (2).jpg

Blue Copper Marans
BCMs (2).jpg

Barred Rocks
BRs (2).jpg

Easter Eggers
EEs (2).jpg

Cream Legbar
CL (2).jpg

Salmon Faverolles
SFs.jpg

Welsummers
Wellies (2).jpg

"Blue" Orpingtons
BOs (2).jpg

The "blue" Orpingtons was a disappointment. I initially started the order because Meyer had sexed Blue Orps. I already have a black Orp hen, so I even ordered two to better my odds of getting a blue. Now I have three black Orps and still no blue pullet/hen.

All the chicks are healthy and active and that's the important thing, but I wish I would have gotten one blue Orp. It's going to be fun watching these girls grow up!

Thanks. I just wish they would call them Blue/Black/Splash Orps if they aren't sending any blues in some orders. I thought I would at least get one since the page says "In addition to blue, you might receive splash and/or black as well." So I thought one would be blue and the other could be any of the three colors.

It will be interesting to see the difference in the Black Australorps and the Black Orps when they mature.

They will be one week old tomorrow and all healthy and adorable :love

Last edited:
Yeah, that definitely is weird wording. I think what they meant was in addition to the chance of getting blue there's also the chance of getting other colors but the way they worded it was stupid. But I think they changed it cause someone complained. Idk if it was that breed or another blue one but they used to have reviews and someone complained about that. And some blue birds they had the warning but some they didn't so they added it

But the blues are expensive, right? So you would think they would at least try to include blues... But I guess the other chicks need homes too but still.

They probably should put instead of blue rather than in addition to. Or left the reviews up lol

But awww that's awesome!

They could just say "You may receive blue, splash, and/or black chicks." That would be less confusing. Since the Blue Orps are the reason I started the order, I probably would have just bought a couple extra rather than getting one of the other breeds. I like the BBS variety of Orps and wouldn't mind having more of them. And yeah, they are pricey, so I'm really disappointed I didn't get what I thought I was buying.

This was my first time ordering directly from a hatchery. Other than the Blue Orps, and the stress of worrying about the chicks while I chased them down in the mail to get them home as soon as possible (my local Postmaster was extremely helpful!), it went well. Now I just have to figure out where to find sexed Blue Orp chicks...

Yeah, that probably would be less confusing. It stinks they're so pricey too and you didn't get them but at least you got other blue birds? I think breeders might even be cheaper because blues aren't that rare I don't think

It might be hard to find a breeder with them now though, you might have to wait until spring.

That said, you should love all the breeds!!

I have 1 Barred Rock, 2 Black Australorps, 3 Buff Orpingtons, and 2 Easter Eggers, all from Meyer.

My Australorps can be a little bit mean but then again I have them all confined most days and their area is a little bit too small. Hopefully that will change when they move to their new coop and run.

Some of my Orpingtons are really small and scrawny too, particularly one of them.. But they're friendly birds. And the other birds are rather large.

They're all beautiful too, at least imo, and good layers.

My EEs lay a medium green/olive egg and a large, often XL, light blue egg.

Never had the other breeds but I think you will love all your birds

IMG_20171111_131924629.jpg
One of my EEs ended up being male, and I was able to find it a good home. I got my first eggs today from 3 chickens! They make 20 weeks on Monday. I'm pretty sure it is not the EE, Blue Am, OE, or Ex Leghorn because they are not supposed to lay brown eggs. Of the remaining 10 chickens, I have no idea which ones are laying. I suspect my golden buff might be one of them, but I'm not sure.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom