Meyer Hatchery's Meal Maker Program

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by billfields, Dec 31, 2010.

1. VA Raptor

VA Raptor Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2014
    S. Central Virginia
    My Meal Maker is a Red Sex Link (Gold Comet on their site). She was the first one to lay, too!

2. ThatFarmerChick

ThatFarmerChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2014
    Snow Hill, Maryland
    That is cool. You can definitely help feed the less fortunate with a super layer like that.

3. VA Raptor

Aug 14, 2014
    S. Central Virginia
    I ordered 2 of them (for a total of 3) specifically because I had hoped to give eggs to Meal on Wheels, but they won't accept them. Neither will the local food bank.

At this point, I need to get in touch with the county and local churches to see where I can do some good. Otherwise, I am just sharing with neighbors as more start to lay.

4. ThatFarmerChick

Sep 3, 2014
    Snow Hill, Maryland
    I am sure that a local church will take them. We are not sure what we will do with our eggs each week (that is if we get an egg layer), but we know plenty that are in need. There are plenty of shelters around too. I live in a resort and farming area. Most families have someone working in the summer, but not always in the winter. The cycle is sad and the struggle is real.

1 person likes this.
  5. VA Raptor

Aug 14, 2014
    S. Central Virginia
    It was explained to me that they try to match the Meal Maker to your order type. If you order all female layers they include a female from a good laying breed. Supposedly you'd get a Cornish or Cornish X with a meat bird order.

It's a neat program, and one of the reasons I ordered from Meyer. Now I just need to do the legwork and find a good place to donate the eggs!

6. ThatFarmerChick

Sep 3, 2014
    Snow Hill, Maryland
    My order was half and half. Half meat and half layers.

7. VA Raptor

Aug 14, 2014
    S. Central Virginia
    I guess you could ask Meyer. They probably won't be able to say what breed you'll get, but can say whether you'll get a meat bird or egg layer.

BTW - It seems I may have spoken too soon about not having a place to donate my eggs!! Super excited! :)

8. ThatFarmerChick

Sep 3, 2014
    Snow Hill, Maryland
    How awesome!!!!

9. ThatFarmerChick

Sep 3, 2014
    Snow Hill, Maryland
    I will try calling Meyer's. I would prefer eggs. I could help more with an egg layer. I can even breed it with a meat bird and hatch meat birds to feed people during the holidays.

10. ThatFarmerChick

Sep 3, 2014
    Snow Hill, Maryland
    They told me because I have good egg layers in my order and I did not get an actual meat bird package, they will more than likely send an egg layer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by