Meyer Meal maker? What breed did you get?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by vjbakke, Jan 27, 2012.

1. vjbakke

vjbakke Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    We got the Meyer free meal maker chick last year. She turned out to be a RSL. We are getting another one with our order this April. Has anyone ordered one with their order and got a different breed? I know it will be a female. I love that they offer this. Our free girl is the top hen. It would be nice to get something other than a RSL.

2. vjbakke

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    From the rules:
    Quote:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2012
  3. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I've never even heard of a "meal maker". From the name of it I would have expected you to get a DP roo, but a RSL can't have been a mistake since they can be sexed at hatch. I had a RSL in one of the first batches of chicks I ever got, and she was my all-time favorite, even though she has been gone for awhile now - talk about personality plus!

4. vjbakke

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    Yes it was not a mistake, I think the only option for it is a female. All we ordered were females and they told me they would not put a roo in an order of just females.

5. Lagniappe Alpacas

Lagniappe Alpacas Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2011
    Somerset, Virginia
    That's not what they told me. I ordered 16 females and when I got them, I had 24 in the box. I called the hatchery to check on it and I was told all 8 were going to be roos and that they normally did this. This was an order from mid-December, so it might be their winter procedures.

6. vjbakke

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    When we ordered last April we only had females in our order ( 6 chick) the first order and 3 the next order. I e mailed them and asked if the meal maker would be a sexed female and they said yes because the rest of our order was female it would be. It could be different when you order a larger order like yours. They do add 4% extra I believe, to make up for " losses" in shipping. Maybe they were adding them as " packing peanuts"? We had heat packs in our orders.

7. iluvsedward

iluvsedward Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2010
    Calvert county MD
    I ordered DUCKLINGS and 2 free meal makers. we will donate what we get to our church food pantry. I am so excited to see if I will get ducklings or chicks (prob not chicks) and what on earth they will be. I ordered K.C.'s and Welsh H.'s. coming on the 8th-10th of may

8. Chubby Chicken

Chubby Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

My meal maker is on its way! My order was 25, and I assumed that since I ordered sexed chicks, that I would get a sexed chick.[​IMG]

9. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    I ordered Cornish X and polish and my Meal Maker ended up being a barred rock hen! I felt lucky.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by