Meyer or McMurray?

I dislike McMurray. I didn't know what was going on at the time, because my father and a friend were taking care of the order, but apparently their was some sort of confusion and not all chicks made it. I'm not sure why, but they stuck extra packing peanuts in with our order and at the time, we didn't know what packing peanuts were or why they were there. The hatchary failed to really 'explain' why the extra chicks were included in our order, and we didn't know of the trouble they would cause! The chicks grew, and all 7 of them were mean, nasty Red Star roos. For a while, we didn't know what to think of all this! I know it's not their fault, but we were new to chickens and we had no explananation as to why our order consisted of these birds.

Long story short, the roosters were sold to someone down the road and we kept everyone else. One of the chicks they sent us, a Sultan Bantam, was extremely unhealthy from the start. I loved him and he became a great pet. He recently aquired an illness and passed away. I still have hard feelings for sending me a sickly bird, though I can't pick a fight considering that everyone else is alive and well, almost two years later.

You should think hard about the choice you make. Just giving my story and although I know we should have done the proper research on 'packing peanuts' and what they are, I've heard of other people enjoying other hatcharies more. We're trying MPC this year and seeing how that goes.
smile.png

Good luck!
wink.png

Quote:
I wish I had know before I ordered last year (in November). I am still giving shots to sick birds
sad.png
I have 2 McMurrrays inside still because they are so sick. They made my own non-hatchery birds sickly
sad.png

Last edited:
big_smile.png
I personally love Meyers...I made a small order of only 5 and all arrived in great shape and are thriving today. I will definately be ordering more birds and supplies from Meyers this spring...

I had a great experience with McMurray. They were very helpful the first few weeks after the chicks arrived. I called several times seeking advice, and they were great.
This year I'm hoping to get chicks more locally. Husband found a hatchery one county away!

I got an order from McMurrary and we were very happy. We ordered 25 and received 28 (only one extra was a roo). One was blind so we did away with it before it suffered any more (it never ate or drank). All the others were what we asked for and all all still alive and well. We are awaiting another 28 on 2/23.

How can a hatchery be so inconsistent? I understand that the business is still using Murray's name long after he has passed. Is any of the family still part of the business?? I live for their catalog but have never ordered from them. I did think about it but now...

Meyer is smaller, has much better customer service, much better birds,
and didn't try and hide a disease outbreak like McMurray did.

I've ordered from Meyers 6 times and been very pleased each time.

im new to this as well and chose mcmurray because of there wide variety and sexing ability... i ordered a total of 37 and out of those i have 14 diff breeds with the intentions of maybe next year knowing what breeds i like the most and then being able to calm down to just a handfull of breeds?

Back
Top Bottom