Meyer's Ameracaunas

The Ameraucana club has brought the wrongness of what they advertize to the hatcheries attention many times. It does not seem to help. Although if you read the information, most of the time you can figure out they are mutts just by reading the description (if you are familiar enough with the breed to know the difference that there even is a true Ameraucana)
The descriptions often say things like, multiple colors, blue,green, pink eggs, or these birds are not meant for show...etc.

OK I found a pic--Miss Kitty & Chippy are my 2 EE hens on the left.

9393_pulletpic.jpg

I got 10 EE's from them last year. Nice roos as well as very nice pullets.
We have kept one roo and a few hens. Sold the others but the person loves them.
I have mostly green layers from Meyers but my DD pet EE pullet from them lays the most beautiful blue egg. Just as pretty as my Araucanas. I figure that is the exception more than the rule though.
I don't mind too many green eggs. They are a nice soft color and the pullets are very sweet as well as the roo.
Meyers is one of the best hatcheries I have ordered from and I have ordered from most. Welp also has very nice birds and very kind customer service. I can't say much for the other hatcheries I have had to deal with.

I am not set on blue. Just anything a little different from brown will do for me. And the surprise factor will actually be part of the fun.

How old are chickens when they have their adult feathers and you can tell what they'll look like?

Geesh. I wish Meyers would update their website already!

So would Meyer's Easter Eggers generally have pet potential?
I was going to get one Barred Rock (so my toddler has one pet-able chicken) and some Easter Eggers for the pretty eggs.
If the Easter Eggers are calm enough maybe I can skip the BR?
(My online sources mentioned that BRs are super friendly and easy to make into pets that's why I thought I had to have one...)

EE's from Meyers were calm!

but, I would consider getting a BO (Buff Orpington)

I have rocks from there & most are calm but, I did have a few flighty ones!

So if your getting 1 I would go with BO!

Quote:
I was looking at those but they look so heavy. It gets really hot where we are and the BOs just looked like they might have a little bit of a harder time dealing with the heat. Is that true?

Back
Top Bottom