MG not clearing up- please help!

jennifersouza

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 23, 2011
Buritis, Rondonia
Here's my original info posted below. I'm pretty sure one of our girls has MG, but it is not clearing up. We didn't have the exact same anti-biotics here, but used the one recommended by the vet (who can't stop saying cull her- he doesn't understand about pets)

Does anyone have any suggestions for us? She's really suffering from the swelling and is not moving around on her own due to the blindness. We are hand- feeding her and watering her, and even have to put her to bed at night.

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
Plymouth Rock (maybe- we got her as an adult- and hte name is different in Brasil) maybe 2 years old, weight normal
2) What is the behavior, exactly. Normal behavior (she can't see due to swelling, but when we help still eating/drinking fine, showing signs of
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? Started 2 months ago (eek! my husband just told me this!)
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? None!

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No, just the swollen face.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. At first, I figured it was some aging since we don't know how old she is. But upon closely examining tonight we realized her face was swollen.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Corn, Cracked corn, food scraps, and a lot of other stuff while free ranging. Water is always available for drinking, especially since it's always really hot here.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Poop appears to be normal.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? We examined her closely.

10) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? I would like to treat her myself if possible. We have a general vet in town, but he hasn't been useful.

Treatment is either Tylan 50 injectable, or La 200 which can be found at Tractor supply company in cattle meds... or Baytril from a vet. Note, if MG or Coryza etc they will have it for life. They may or may not have the symptoms pop up again. They can give it to other birds...it can be given to other birds by your clothes, shoes or hands..... I just want you to be aware of it and that you are really only treating the symptoms, not the illness itself.
If she is a pet, you are not selling chickens or breeding for selling... Then you can try and treat her. You might want to keep her in a seperate area with a buddy from now on and always handle her last to keep your other birds from getting it. I wish they had a med that cured it totally...but as of now they do not. Most meds are only geared towards the meat or egg market of chickens... Not pet chickens.

How do you know for sure it's MG? Did the vet do an actual test for that or is he/she guessing? If it's something viral or fungal, no antibiotic will fix that. If she is blind due to this, doesn't sound like MG. Could be something else entirely. And if she isn't getting better, I would definitely put her out of her misery.

You realize that if this is indeed MG, that leaves her a carrier, as does Coryza and some other respiratory diseases, right?

Last edited:
Last edited:
Ay. Goodness. It does look like that.

And now she's dying, I think. This is awful for me. I think I should help her along into the after-life, but have never done that in my life with any animal.

I just had to put one of my house chickens down this morning....heartbreaking. The easiest way for me and the chicken it to place them in an empty feed sack. Stretch their neck out the best you can. Take a sharp pair of tree limb loppers, reach into the bag and position the loppers around the neck...close the bag some, and in one quick lop, it's done..although they may move some afterward ...so be prepared. It's a hard part of chicken keeping but your responsibility to keep them from suffering.... I have tried many other ways and find this the least traumatic for me.

Back
Top Bottom