MGG's Hatching Thread!

Pics
The Arkansas Blue is an experimental breed developed at the University of Arkansas by Dr. R. Keith Bramwell. It is said to be a cross between a white Leghorn and an Araucana. It resembles a Sumatra hen and has a pea comb and yellow legs.

Although they are the offspring of the Araucanas, they don’t have their ear-tufts or muffs. All they have received from this side of lineage is the ability to lay blue eggs, and they do this efficiently. The Arkansas Blue chickens can lay about 250-350 eggs in a single year.(copied from the internet.)
Ty, right after I posted that I said duh Google, lol... they look a lot like my WTB

It had a weird lump on its head, @CluckNDoodle . What is it??? It doesn't look like the swelled hatching muscle that I usually see.
Disclaimer : Dead chick pics, do not open if you don't want to see a dead chick.
The yolk also was dark-ish. Bacteria, or something else?
Poor baby.

The lump is low enough at the back of the head, on the neck that it's probably still the hatching muscle filled with fluid it usually goes down some by the time they hatch. The yolk sac does look like it may have some discoloration. It could be omphalitis.

The lump is low enough at the back of the head, on the neck that it's probably still the hatching muscle filled with fluid it usually goes down some by the time they hatch. The yolk sac does look like it may have some discoloration. It could be omphalitis.
Ah ok. I don't usually get to see it in chicks unless they're hatching. I haven't ever had such a late quitter before. Today is day 21.
That's what I was wondering. It's pretty greenish. Ironically, it was the cleanest egg. I always washed my hands before touching them too.

Ah ok. I don't usually get to see it in chicks unless they're hatching. I haven't ever had such a late quitter before. Today is day 21.
That's what I was wondering. It's pretty greenish. Ironically, it was the cleanest egg. I always washed my hands before touching them too.

If that egg was cleaned and the others were not, it's possible that it actually came from another egg. I don't know. :idunno
I'm really glad you have 3 happy healthy peeps though!! Did you give them to your broody hen?

If that egg was cleaned and the others were not, it's possible that it actually came from another egg. I don't know. :idunno
I'm really glad you have 3 happy healthy peeps though!! Did you give them to your broody hen?
Yeah, it's weird. That's possible! Idk either. This has been a confusing batch. 🤣
I'm glad too. I'm going to do it as soon as I finish school! I hope she accepts them. 🤞🏻

My Cuckoo Maran/OE egg hatched in my hands! 3 left. two possible problems. The one that got a wee bit crushed was shrink wrapped. So I applied some hot water and that loosened up the membrane I could see, but there were still veins so I didn't assist yet. Waiting for it to absorb the rest. But it can definitely breathe and just needs a but more time. Another has pipped and is chirping very excitably! The last one though has not pipped yet. It has internally pipped and I can hear tapping on the shell. I gave it a very small safety hole to be safe. I realized though that the air sac takes up half of the egg. I don't know if its supposed to be that way. Is this cause for concern? I feel like it should have pipped right now if all was going right.

These aren't very good, let me get some better ones. View attachment 2613153View attachment 2613154

Pics!!!
Baby #1View attachment 2613217View attachment 2613218View attachment 2613221
Photobomb by baby #2
View attachment 2613222
Baby #2
View attachment 2613219View attachment 2613220View attachment 2613224
It is LOUD View attachment 2613223
And my two slowpokes. Just kidding, the first two babies are early honestly. View attachment 2613225
I love the light one. The one on the left, the last remaining Lavender (which is actually black I think) I'm 99% sure is malpositioned. I can't find his beak anywhere, and he has not externally pipped on his own yet. Determined not to lose him, I opened it up a bit. I need this one to live, I have been the most excited for this egg all along. It always looked so perfect.
I'm wondering if the light chick is a splash Ameraucana? I hope so!!!!
@CluckNDoodle you're missing it!
@TheOddOneOut come see!!!

aww they are adorable! :love
My last egg died. 😭
It was my Lavender Ameraucana baby who was really malpositioned. It was so cute. It was alive half an hour ago, but when I just checked it was dead. I opened it up, it was definitely not ready yet. There was a lot of veining and yolk still. But guess what, severe crossbeak. 😔
aw i'm sorry about that, 😞
3 chicks out of 14 eggs. :(
My broody is gonna be disappointed in me.
:hugs

The Arkansas Blue is an experimental breed developed at the University of Arkansas by Dr. R. Keith Bramwell. It is said to be a cross between a white Leghorn and an Araucana. It resembles a Sumatra hen and has a pea comb and yellow legs.

Although they are the offspring of the Araucanas, they don’t have their ear-tufts or muffs. All they have received from this side of lineage is the ability to lay blue eggs, and they do this efficiently. The Arkansas Blue chickens can lay about 250-350 eggs in a single year.(copied from the internet.)
Do you have a picture

Back
Top Bottom