MGG's Hatching Thread!

Pics

MGG

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
Feb 7, 2020
Hi all! I am going to be hatching some eggs that I got from @CockaDoodleBlueFarms for my broody hen, Ivy, to raise!
(She's anxiously waiting)
20210316_124357.jpg

This thread is to document everything! I'll probably post lots of pics. šŸ¤£
I'm so excited for these eggs!
Feel free to follow along! The eggs are shipping today, so I'm hoping to get them early next week!
Here's a pic of the eggs that she is sending me. They'll be all sorts of fun breeds/mixes!
D417D73F-F14D-47B8-8EA8-452DD56E4F9A.jpeg.jpg

Haha! Polkies??? šŸ˜‚
Awww. I wish I could hatch and sell chicks, lol.
Ooh, Marans. The free Marans egg from my order isn't developing, I'm so sad. šŸ˜­
You have to post pics as they hatch!!! I need to see babies. I do have 4 Silkie chicks in the brooder right now, but I need more babies!!! šŸ¤—

Yes, Polkies (Silkie/Polish Cross, lol). It was an interesting hatch because it happened for a combination of unusual reasons. Sit back, get comfortable, and I'll tell you the story of the Polkie experiment.
read.gif

So my friend started collecting eggs to hatch because she was curious what would hatch from a combo of Polish and Silkie before she moved them to a separate enclosure of all Silkies but she lost one of her beloved hens shortly after she started collecting eggs so we made the decision to go ahead and set the 10 eggs that were collected (1 was cracked and repaired with nail polish but every egg was precious at this point!) and then she rummaged through her refrigerator and pulled out 12 more eggs that had been washed and stored for eating, some were up to a month old! I guesstimated we would get about 30% viability from the older refrigerated eggs.

3-23-21 (2-2).jpg

In the Farm Chatter thread, we had discussed attempting an unrelated experiment to see if there was any truth to the old wives tale about storing eggs in the refrigerator producing more female chicks so since my friend planned to grow out the chicks I felt it would also be a good time to monitor that. BUT to my shock and surprise, we had 100% viability and 100% hatch in both the "control" eggs that were collected normally and the old refrigerator eggs! All 22 hatched! So we didn't even need to grow them out to know that the refrigerator experiment was a wives tale because we would have had to have some quitters or non-viable eggs eliminating at least some percentage of male embryos.

Ok, so to the cute stuff. The babies!

3-27-21 (11).JPG

3-26-21 (3).JPG
3-27-21 (6).JPG

Back
Top Bottom