mice eat feed, chickens do not

pullorroo

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 21, 2008
Mill Valley CA
after keeping the feeder full of feed for 8 months, and never having to even top it off, seems the mice have discovered it, and emptied it over night.... do I continue to feed them ? the mice...

is it bad that my hens don't eat feed, but free range and enjoy table scraps ? we eat very healthy wholesome foods, no junk... they get scraps twice a day.... plus grains

Hi. How many hens do you have? If they're not eating their feed I wouldn't leave it sitting there for that many months. When I first got my girls at about 5 months old, they wouldn't eat the pelleted feed that I bought. I switched to the crumbles and they dove right into it. They free range most of the time (except at night) and they get a lot of garden scraps and kitchen leftovers, but they still eat a good amount of their food. I have 6 hens and I only put as much food in their feeder that they will go through in about a week. Also, it's a hanging feeder.

edited to add: I re-read your post where you said you give 'grains'. Is that scratch grains? How about going way less on the scratch and seeing if they'll go for their feed?

Last edited:
How big is your feeder? * month feed would have barely any nutrition left in it, and it would be stale. Yes, mt hens will not eat pellets either, i have to use crumbles. Are they laying?

Back
Top Bottom