mice

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by hunterblu123, Jun 20, 2011.

1. hunterblu123

hunterblu123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    SW Ohio
    I'm over ran by mice in the barn with the chicken. What to do? I can't put poison out b/c the chickens are free range and I have dogs. The mouse traps the just work. I like the sticky traps but I don't want the chickens to get it on them plus the barn is very dusty.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Build a fairly long narrow box the chickens and dogs cannot get in, anchor the box so the dogs cannot move it around, and secure the trap inside, either by clamping it down some way or make the openings small enough that the trap cannot come out. Of course, you will need a way that you can get insde to get the mice out.

I trust you will get other ideas. Good luck!

3. Keltara

Keltara Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I think that is a good idea, however instead of putting a trap in it, I'd put the poison in it. Honestly the best way to eliminate mice is with poison bait. You can trap all you want, but ultimately the best solution will be poison. They eat it, go off to die and you're done.

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Quote:I think that is a good idea, however instead of putting a trap in it, I'd put the poison in it. Honestly the best way to eliminate mice is with poison bait. You can trap all you want, but ultimately the best solution will be poison. They eat it, go off to die and you're done.

I can't argue the effectiveness, but dogs and chickens can then eat poisoned mice.

5. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    Surprised that the chickens aren't eating the mice. My chickens LOVE mice.

Get a cat. I have 1 little kitty that sleeps in the coop with the chickens and she helps them eat mice.

also you can get the live traps for mice... They have them for barns that can hold up to like 30 mice at a time. You don't have to use posin to draw them in either. My grandpa used to use them in the milk barn and he would put bacon grease and peanut butter to draw them into the trap.

6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

It also helps to reduce the mice food supply. Snap lid tubs for the feed stores and consider not leaving feeders full 24/7. It's more intense management, but it does help considerably.

7. carrlr

carrlr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  8. hunterblu123

Aug 4, 2010
    SW Ohio
    Quote:They do get some mice. I have stray cats that I see off/on not sure if they go in the barn or not. I like the idea of the live trap. Were would you find one?

9. hunterblu123

Aug 4, 2010
    SW Ohio
    If it comes down to poison I can keep the dogs away and the chickens locked up but the Guinea's will not be happy at all. And how would I keep the mouse out that ate the poison?

10. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by