Michigan Hatchers! What'cha got cookin?

My hatch started, had one hatch last night, and have 3 in the bator this am.. no more pips. kinda worried, i am using a new bator for incubating and had a spike temp while i was out of town monday and not sure how long it was spiked for. have 19 more eggs in there no pips and its day 21.. usually once i get pips they start coming out like popcorn.. so this is a different hatch for me. hoping i get more to hatch.. problem is i had another batch in that same incubator during spike hope it didnt affect those to.. dang.
will keep yas posted.

Happy Easter Everyone, hope you all have a good day..

Did anyone get that snow they were calling for.. no snow here, which is fine with me..

Last edited:
I'm new to incubating, but I've got 6 in right now that are 7 days along from my birds. They are Cochins and Mille D'uccles and one BR cross.
I'm going to candle today and mark the air cells. Learning as I go, I have a hydrometer on the way along with a Genesis 1588. I'll get that up and running for a couple days before putting eggs in it. I'm collecting eggs this week from my Cochins/D'uccles plus I have plans to buy a dozen hatching eggs from mindylee on Friday! I'm super excited.
Hoping to set all the eggs by Saturday.

Hello all...just started my second spring of incubating, had my first 2015 hatch two days ago, and the last 3 chicks were "sticky". I did not open the incubator (the hatch of 9 chicks happened in 24 hours) at all. I ended up losing one before I realized what was going on, and got the last one out of the shell quickly and saved it. I then noticed the one that hatched just before had a bit of goo on it and managed to get out of the shell without my assistance. It was at 20% humidity until lockdown day 18, then I bumped it up to 45%. Once hatch started, it was between 65% and 70%. So everything was textbook fine, but the last three eggs were "sticky". Any thoughts would be appreciated as mid week next week I have another batch going in lockdown and I want to avoid this happening again (I am still kicking myself that I missed the one I lost as it seemed was fine, then gone in 4 hours). Thank you!

[COLOR=141823]Hello all...just started my second spring of incubating, had my first 2015 hatch two days ago, and the last 3 chicks were "sticky". I did not open the incubator (the hatch of 9 chicks happened in 24 hours) at all. I ended up losing one before I realized what was going on, and got the last one out of the shell quickly and saved it. I then noticed the one that hatched just before had a bit of goo on it and managed to get out of the shell without my assistance. It was at 20[/COLOR]% humidity until lockdown day 18, then I bumped it up to 45%. Once hatch started, it was between 65% and 70%. So everything was textbook fine, but the last three eggs were "sticky". Any thoughts would be appreciated as mid week next week I have another batch going in lockdown and I want to avoid this happening again (I am still kicking myself that I missed the one I lost as it seemed was fine, then gone in 4 hours). Thank you!
Was it like a yellow sticky stuff?

I've been seeing the sticky stuff mostly with eggs that were refrigerated or got COLD in the nests before setting. Mixed in with eggs that had never been refrigerated, and the eggs marked so I knew which were which, there was a definite difference. A lot of them developed just fine, but hatching out was another story. And these eggs were all in the same turner, on the same incubator shelf, as the ones that had no issues at all. I think the whites are drier/thicker and just harder to absorb. Perhaps these eggs do better with higher incubation humidity. I averaged 38% during incubation and 55% during hatch.

I've been seeing the sticky stuff mostly with eggs that were refrigerated or got COLD in the nests before setting. Mixed in with eggs that had never been refrigerated, and the eggs marked so I knew which were which, there was a definite difference. A lot of them developed just fine, but hatching out was another story. And these eggs were all in the same turner, on the same incubator shelf, as the ones that had no issues at all. I think the whites are drier/thicker and just harder to absorb. Perhaps these eggs do better with higher incubation humidity. I averaged 38% during incubation and 55% during hatch.
It seemed like the membrane got thick and sticky, but not dried out. Peep-Chick

And the temps could be a possibility...I did collect these during those cold temps The next batch is due next weekend, so will see if that makes a difference.

It seemed like the membrane got thick and sticky, but not dried out. Peep-Chick

And the temps could be a possibility...I did collect these during those cold temps  The next batch is due next weekend, so will see if that makes a difference.  

I had a issue with sticky stuff in eggs before they hatched. Heard it was bacteria contamination :confused:

I had a issue with sticky stuff in eggs before they hatched. Heard it was bacteria contamination
hu.gif
This is the membrane, and it was only the last three. And someone else on another list said they had the same issue. If it was all, that would be one thing, it just seemed like the last to hatch.

my hatch is basicly over, i got 3 hatched on day 19 and 20.. nothing day 21.. so i went through the eggs today and only one alive, that one is still in bator absorbing its yolk.. they were all fully developed and some even pipped through the airsack. wondering if its because i am using my new incubator for 18 days then using my old bator for hatching. i checked my thermometers and both bators are same as far as keeping temp.. and humidity. i am wondering if it was the spike that i had last monday. and i have some eggs that go into lock down tomorrow and wonder if the spike affected those to.. kinda worried about that hatch.. thinking after i hatch out that batch.. i have eggs in the the bator that will be only a few days old, i may just use the new bator for lockdown and see if that makes a difference. all the dead chicks were fully developed..

i get sticky chick sometimes toward the end of the hatch, like day 3.. even if i dont go into the incubator

Last edited:
Im on my 3rd hatch and due this weekend.
Have 72 eggs in the bator.

Then in 2 weeks I have another batch due under my broody hens (50 eggs total).

And awaiting a special dozen I bought from down south from a awesome breeder and soon as they arrive, under the hens they will go also.

So I will have chicks coming out my ears this month! LOL

And I will see you Friday pipe dreaming!
Oh ps... need to set up a time. I should be home 4:30-5 from work.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom