Michigan Hatchers! What'cha got cookin?

Beautiful chickens mindylee.. love the colors..

I have two incubators going.. i was trying to just incubate in one and hatch in the other.. well i went out of town and had a temp spike, i think it affected both hatches.. the last batch didnt even hatch and looked bad when going into lockdown.. so i decided not to do that again..

now i have in one bator eggs that have been in there 10 days, and just set some last night in the other incubator.. that way if there is a spike both batches dont get damaged.. that was so dissapointing.

hope everyone has a successful hatch.

I considered moving the eggs to an LG to hatch after incubating in the 1588 then I read about people having similar experiences as yours. What a bummer!
I candled my 6 eggs at day 14...still seeing live chicks in all of them! (In an LG..keep your fingers crossed for me.) So excited. Going to wait for day 7 to candle the new batch. It's going to be hard to not peek at them for that long but I'm going to try to refrain.

Last edited:
Candled, day 7. Took 4 out. 2 weren't fertile (both mine) and 2 blood rings (one mine and one of mindylees) I'm super happy! All the others look great.
100% fertility on your eggs Mindy! So 38 are moving forward.
I've got 3 eggs that just pipped this morning from my first batch of 6. They're cheaping too. Pretty excited :)

Last edited:
82 eggs in the incubator, Tuesday is candle all and lockdown 32. Saturday I will be watching for my first 2015 turkeys to come into the world.
jumpy.gif

One of the eggs that should hatch on Saturday is a turkey egg that I dropped another egg on before setting, with a dime sized hole in the shell. I sealed the entire crack and all the rays of the crack (about a half dollar size) with several coats of nail enamel. So far incubation has been fine, air cell properly developing, poult showing the same growth as the rest, strong veining. The nail polish will likely make hatching more difficult so I will keep an eye on this one. It's come 22 days so far...

so I had set 38 eggs in a little giant stillair with auto turner and was about a week from hatch day, and went down to discover the temp down to 65 so not sure how long it had been that long...so plugged it back in hoping but was pretty sure it was all lost when it spiked to 105 a couple days later, I didn't even turn off the turner and then I heard the sound...and there was one. we are up to 20 now and 4 more are piped....not bad considering...pictures to follow...

I'm starting my first hatch, a dozen dark cornish I got off eBay to "test" and the rest is filled with Icelandics from my coop. Really excited to see what colors I get from the Icelandics!!!

Came home to find all my eggs had fallen out of the turner and were laying on the bottom of the incubator.  Was sick to my stomach.  Somehow the arm for the turner came out of the slot and it was straight up and down. (I'm thinking the placement of a thermometer had something to do with popping it out) Got all the eggs out, fixed the turner and checked them all for cracks and viability.  They seemed to be ok.. I'm crossing my fingers that they weren't shaken up too bad from the fall.  I'll candle on Saturday (day 14) and hope for the best.
Stressful!   I did hatch out 5 out of 6 eggs this past weekend. The 6th was developed, pipped internally, but no attempt at an external pip.  Possible that it drowned?  Not sure.  The others hatched perfectly :idunno

I'm setting more eggs Saturday.. Some White Leghorns, Olive Eggers, Welsummers and Ameraucanas.  I'm going to use my cochin's eggs to fill in the rest.
Here are my 5. (2 are hiding)

Good luck on your first hatch Kaldakur!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom