Michigan Poultry Show Ban!!!!

Oh then my apologies. I didn't realize the U.S. Constitution was rewritten with migratory waterfowl in mind. I'll make a note of it.

But ultimately there you go again with a false argument in attempt to bolster your support of a ban. No one compared prohibition to viruses. The hurdles for legal bans of yesteryear were compared to the lack of hurdles for 'legal' bans today.

You say, if I want to show my birds go ahead blah blah blah. Unfortunately, we're talking about the gubment saying "no you can't". Not wether Wynette says you can or can't.

I've decided to come and give my humble 2 cents.

Yes, Avian Influenza is a terrible disease that could do serious damage to not only the commercial poultry industry but also to backyard flocks, etc. But, I don't believe that it is as serious a threat as some are making it, especially not to the small barnyard flock owners or exhibitors.

Avian Influenza's main carrier is migratory waterfowl (ducks, geese, etc.). Most states in the Midwest, in particular, are along what is known as the Missippi Flyway. This is a migratory path that birds take in the spring and in the fall. The spring migration has now ended. Birds are where they'll be for the rest of the summer at least until fall/winter. Therefore, IMO, Avian Influenza is no longer being spread mainly by those migratory birds. If you read the news articles about AI, you'll find that it actually hasn't spread into any different states. Most of the outbreaks are confined to Iowa and Minnesota. Wisconsin had some outbreaks in April, but hasn't seen a single Avian Influenza case since the first few days of May. In fact, some of the infected areas are no longer under quarantine. Many of the states that have been canceling (Michigan, Ohio, South Dakota, etc) haven't even see an Avian Influenza case. Truly, for now, the outbreaks are confined to Minnesota and Iowa.

By reading the news articles, I've come to the opinion that most of the continued outbreaks are being caused by poor biosecurity on the commercial poultry industry's part. Several of the infected farms in Iowa are owned by the same company. I remember reading an article by a reporter who discovered that commercial poultry houses from that Iowa company were being very lax (allowing vehicles to drive through without being disinfected, etc.) If those large commercial houses practiced stricter biosecurity, they could very well limit the spread of Avian Influenza more successfully.

We must realize that the commercial birds in those large factory houses have, in some ways, a much greater chance of succumbing to the disease. They already have weakened immune systems from overcrowding, etc. Our backyard or exhibition flocks tend to be more robust. Most of them have access to the outside and routinely come in contact with new pathogens. If they did happen to come across an infected bird, the chickens might not even contract the disease.

Quite simply, exhibition poultry are not the main problem. Most poultry shows are under 1,000 birds and occur perhaps once a year. People do not bring in obviously sick birds with foaming eyes or sneezing. If a person took a bird like that to a poultry show, the show superintendant would immediately remove it from the showroom. Most exhibitors take excellent care of their birds and won't even bring a bird that could be sick.

It is wrong to believe that your birds have any greater chance of getting Avian Influenza than any other disease at shows. Any time you take a bird to a show, you risk disease. Mareks Disease, Infectious Laryngotrachetis, Mycolplasma, you name it. All of those are found at poultry shows. If you don't want to risk your birds, don't go to a show. But, don't criticize others for not reacting in the same way or for not panicing over a "serious" threat.

IMO, the Avian Influenza threat isn't a significant threat to the exhibition poultry industry. If the commercial companies employ adequate biosecurity measures, they should be able to eliminate any further spread (with the exception of wild bird transmission in waterfowl, etc.) Canceling poultry shows is not the answer. I can understand canceling swaps, but not shows.

I believe that the main reason the government is canceling poultry exhibitions is to shift the blame from the commercial poultry industry. I also think that the government is canceling shows so that the the people won't think that the states aren't doing anything. But, the real fault is not in the exhibition poultry; rather, they are a scapegoat.

Just my opinion. I could probably ramble on even more. I'm not saying that my opinion is correct or that it is the only opinion. I simply believe that the facts don't show that canceling all poultry shows (in states that haven't had any outbreaks, no less!) is the answer to the Avian Influenza outbreak.

Oh, and I don't expect many to believe me. Don't take any offense, however. I'm not trying to start an argument.

Last edited:
Yes! My argument is mainly with the gubment and their involvement in our industry/hobby. My points are not directed at whether you think bird flu is serious or not serious. It's how we deal with it. I think the thoughtful people in this message board can decide ourselves how to handle the outbreak, not big brother.

I do get annoyed tho at how eager people are to accept more gubment rules instead of asking if government even has a role to play in the matter.

Last edited:
I agree that most of us raising birds for exhibition probably take far better care of our poultry than commercial farms. However, at state and county fairs, many of the poultry shown are meat birds. Some 4-H families choose meat birds because they do not "require" the same amount of space or long term care. They are raised in small cages with little to no time in contact with the ground. I have to believe that such birds are not going to be as hardy or disease resistant as birds like mine (raised for egg production) who have had time outside exploring from 4 wks old. Time in contact with birds and their droppings. I'm sure this helps build immunity to some degree.

I like to believe no parent would allow their child to bring birds to the fair knowing other birds in their flock are showing signs of illness. I happen to know that many parents send their kids to school sick. If they don't care for their kid to spread the flu at school, I don't trust them not to bring sick chickens to the fair. Kids typically want to miss school, parents send them anyway. Kids want to show their poultry. Some parents who have invested money in the project will indulge the kid and take the birds even if they've lost 5 birds in the last 3 days.

My son is almost 12. He is the one who doesn't get to show his chickens at the fair. His immune system is top notch. Rarely gets sick, has spent lots of time barefoot playing in the dirt. He eats a varied diet and is quite healthy. I have no plans to send him to a village ravaged by ebola to volunteer over the summer. I won't be inviting any exchange stuents from those places into my home either.

Thank you, @Wyandottes7 , for your thoughtful (and non-argumentative) response. Of course we all have an opinion; and I for one do not take offense or thumb my nose at anyone that doesn't wish to listen to what the government is passing along to all of us; we're all in this together, more opinions and reflections usually are helpful in making a decision in serious matters.

However...debating the topic on an internet forum does nothing to further your cause, regardless of which direction you are compelled to agree with. If you are THAT upset/frustrated with government involvement, take your passion to a place where it will do some good; again, that place is not an internet forum. Just sayin'.

It's all about PREVENTION. You believe it's ridiculous to attempt to prevent this disease from spreading? Perhaps the reason we haven't seen a reported case in Michigan is due to prevention. I, too, am disappointed. I have raised a good many birds for exhibition, and knowing I will be unable to show them just sickens me. But, if it means we will stop this disease from spreading, it is well worth it. JMO

Except that there is no evidence, to my knowledge, that swaps, shows or other gatherings of poultry have been a vector for AI. In contrast, CAFO facilities (Confined Animal Feeding Operations), with maximum densities, forced air ventilation, and limited genetic diversity, seem to be the major vector for Avian Influenza.

If you read the USDA APHIS database, you will see that 90% of the flocks are commercial, and virtually all of the "backyard" flocks are located within counties that have infected commercial facilities.

At his point, with the migration over, infections are still occurring in IA and MN commercial facilities, yet they have cancelled all "gatherings" of poultry (swaps and shows) for the last 2 months. And, during that time period, the commercial operations have ramped up their bio-security.

Don't fight the data. And in my opinion the data does not support a conclusion that poultry shows are a contributor to this problem.

Except that there is no evidence, to my knowledge, that swaps, shows or other gatherings of poultry have been a vector for AI. In contrast, CAFO facilities (Confined Animal Feeding Operations), with maximum densities, forced air ventilation, and limited genetic diversity, seem to be the major vector for Avian Influenza.

If you read the USDA APHIS database, you will see that 90% of the flocks are commercial, and virtually all of the "backyard" flocks are located within counties that have infected commercial facilities.

At his point, with the migration over, infections are still occurring in IA and MN commercial facilities, yet they have cancelled all "gatherings" of poultry (swaps and shows) for the last 2 months. And, during that time period, the commercial operations have ramped up their bio-security.

Don't fight the data. And in my opinion the data does not support a conclusion that poultry shows are a contributor to this problem.

I agree with all the stats/data you have stated. In fact, I was just typing something to that effect.

One thing I would like add though, &'something I found interesting yesterday is the fact that the USDA, CDC & scientists are actually somewhat stymied as to why backyard flocks have been spared. Let's face it, most our flocks are in areas where there are wild birds; mine free range, so I know they are. MAYBE it is partly because we are keeping them away from other birds/flocks (TOTAL speculation on my part ;))

I also didn't interpret the recent bans as a conclusion that shows are a contributor; I interpreted it more as a preventative measure to keep the small flock owners birds healthy.

These are just my opinions..I've deleted my thoughts on the political aspects of this whole situation..I like sticking to data; then we can have healthy discussions!

And in my opinion the data does not support a conclusion that poultry shows are a contributor to this problem.
Thanks for sharing your opinion. I haven't actually offered mine one way or the other; if you must know, I agree. HOWEVER...I also agree not to buck the system that was put in place for a very good reason. If I wholeheartedly disagreed? I surely wouldn't try to pound it home here on a forum; I'd be writing letters, visiting branches of government putting out the information to speak with officials, signing petitions, etc. But that's just me.

When it comes down to it, though? I really don't much care. Shows are cancelled. Nothing I can do will change that. Rather than complaining and whining, I'm moving on. I'm going to use the time gained from not competing to do more research into my chosen breeds, handle a backlog of paperwork that needs to be filed, plot out single matings for next show season, building more pens, etc.

Back
Top Bottom