Michigan Right to Farm Law, what does it mean?

RTFA says people meeting GAAMPS are legal. GAAMPS has criteria which I don't believe we can meet in a backyard. Mainly distance to neighbors which is exactly why MDARD wouldn't certify the majority of michigan backyard chicken members.

Andrewhill, if that 200 lbs live weight were enacted, I would be at a HUGE loss on my residential large piece of property...

Honestly I'm against stupid rules like that it was just a quick suggestion. After thinking about it the size of your lot should be the determining factor. A way to let people do what they wish without crazy stocking levels like 1 bird (even broad breasted turkeys) per 3sqft of yard. Just an idea but 20lbs live weight per 100sqft.

I'm starting a letter to my congressman any suggestions for a poultry specific law/amendment to RTFA?

Last edited:
You misunderstand me. This is not about whether you live in a rural or an urban area, it is about whether you need to meet the requirements of the Site Selection GAAMPs in any situation, if you have less than 50 animal units.

Since my words have no persuasive value, let me post what Wendy Powers said about this earlier this summer, in a letter to the Michigan Commission of Agriculture and Rural Development. Wendy Powers is a Professor at MSU and is the Chair of the Site Selection GAAMPs Committee:

"Currently the Site Selection GAAMP is applicable almost exclusively to facilities with more than 50 animal units. Land owners with smaller facilities, those with less than 50 AU may request proactive verification, but their facilities must meet the standards that were developed for facilities housing more than 50 AU."

My reading of that is that the Site Selection verification process is available to small farmers if they request it, but that otherwise it is applicable only to operations with 50 animal units or more.

Note that the rest of her letter is about proposed changes to the Site Selection GAAMPs that WOULD make what you are saying true. But those changes have been proposed now for 2 years, and have not been accepted for approval by the Ag Commission. The reason that I and so many of us on this thread know so much about the Site Selection GAAMPS, is because we have been actively fighting the proposed changes for 2 years.

If you want to read the full version of that letter, it is the first link on this page: http://sustainablefarmpolicy.org/the-commission/

Thanks honestly I did see what your saying I just wanted to look at it from the city's perspective taking a conservative interpretation. I don't know if your familiar with Livonia but they suck.

I still think poultry needs an separate rule stating in any city up to so many pounds per however many sqft. Dogs are loud and smelly too yet they are ok.

Last edited:
Livonia may well take you to court if you attempt to keep poultry there. And then whether or not RTF protects you will be up to a judge, and not to me, you, or anyone else!

If you join the MSFC you will have access to legal advice from the FTCLDF. If you join the FTCLDF outright (cost is $100 for MSFC members), then you will have the right to ask them to take your case if it goes to court. And if they take your case, they don't charge you for their legal expenses. Folks on this thread and folks at the FTCLDF have been working hard to find a way to not just churn on these issues again and again, but to actually help people get the legal advice that they need so they can make informed choices, and hopefully win in court when they have to. I am actually the president of the MSFC, and now spend more of my time fighting from there than from this discussion forum. But I can be reached anytime at [email protected].

Thanks . Livonia does have a turkey farm I think it's on Middlebelt by Plymouth road. It's been there like 40 years. I should go there and have a chat before my birds arrive.

Andrew, if you are serious about wanting to farm, you should seriously consider FTCLDF for some guidance. Going through Michigan Small Farm Council is the free way to go about that. We all know the municipalities perspective on these things. Just because they are who they are does not mean that their view is the legal view. You may show them every bit of factual, legal information there is, but being that they are spending their citizens' money, and not their own, they will have little problem taking you to court over it. That may very well be what it takes. From what I have seen though, if you meet the proper criteria, there is plenty of precedence to show legal standing to have a farm on any privately owned property in Michigan.

Back
Top Bottom