Michigan Right to Farm Law, what does it mean?

Quote:
Yes, I agree, it is a bunch of BS! With the local food movement that is happening across the nation, I can't even believe that they would want to present this. However, they are politicians and they do what's best for them and their pockets, not what's best for the people!

Yes, that is carpola. And, it opens the slippery slope for other cities to try to get themselves included.

But, as written, it would ONLY apply to the City of Detroit, since it's the only city in Michigan even vaguely close to 900,000 in population.

Wouldn't the joke be on this guy if this somehow passed and then next year when the official census figures come out Detroit has somehow slipped just below 900,000 population? I think it was somewhere just shy of a million in the last census in 2000.

As with most bills, it probably won't go anywhere. At least not for now. This session is almost over, and between the election and the post-election holidays and the new incoming legislature and administration, there won't be much of anything accomplished or moved along the process.

I read it differently. I read that it does not apply to cities with a population of 900,000 citizens or more.

HOUSE BILL No. 6458

September 16, 2010, Introduced by Reps. Leland and Huckleberry and referred to the Committee on Urban Policy.

A bill to amend 1981 PA 93, entitled

"Michigan right to farm act,"

(MCL 286.471 to 286.474) by adding section 3a.

THE PEOPLE OF THE STATE OF MICHIGAN ENACT:

SEC. 3A. (1) THIS ACT DOES NOT APPLY TO A CITY WITH A

POPULATION OF 900,000 OR MORE.

(2) THIS SECTION IS RETROACTIVE AND EFFECTIVE BEGINNING JUNE

1, 2000.

It is a bunch of crap. Here we have a right to farm law, but you must have 3 or more acres to qualify as a farm. Fortunately, in my little rural town, I am zoned farming/residential so I can have 100 poultry on any approved building lot. The law is an acre per lot, but some got in before that. I can also have cows goats and horses. The catch is that I can't do it for profit. Some folks here have a few goats, a cow, and a horse in the backyard. Others just complain about everything. Anyone know of any Urban Farming organizations ? Something perhaps funded by the vendors that sell me feed and supplies ? For instance TSC makes money off of small backyard agriculture, why shouldn't they pony up to help out legislatively. We do that with the anti hunters. Many companies that sell me gear and ammo are fighting the good fight. What about these breeder magazines and such?

Last edited:
Actually this amendment is a good thing. With Huckleberry trying to put this out there, he is in fact stating that this law applies to all of us.

He is trying to exclude the City of Detroit from this law, but by doing so, he is implying that without this amendment, people in the city of Detroit can "farm". Whether that is with chickens or with other livestock.

I don't think this will pass, but in any event you should contact your state reps and tell them to not vote on this.

Quote:
I am pretty sure there is no size requirement for the state of michigan. twp and cities may try and put ordinances out there, but they are breaking the law. You may try the Michigan Farm bureau for help. What makes you a farm is selling your product off of your farm. So as long as you sell a product and follow Gamps you should be ok.

I responded to this before. I am an attorney and former planning commissioner in Illinois.

The Right to Farm Act in MI and other similar laws in other states are meant to prevent NUISANCE LAWSUITS against farms which OTHERWISE COMPLY WITH LOCAL ZONING LAWS.

You can be in full compliance with your zoning but someone can still sue you as a nuisance if, for example, you are raising 100 roosters for cock fighting, as happened in Ohio.

These laws were really designed to protect CAFO's (factory farms) in rural areas.

If you don't have the zoning in the first place, the Right to Farm Acts don't protect you.

Back
Top Bottom