Michigan Right to Farm Law, what does it mean?

I know it is 32 pages, but there are a LOT of details included, as well as links to court rulings. Best to read the whole thing, and click on hte links, and read the rulings, too.

Quote:
So, if my one acre is zoned single family residential, I have no right to raise 3-5 chickens (hens) for egg production/sale under the MRTFA??

Jeff
(Oscoda, MI)

Jeff he is wrong. First he is an Illinois attorney- he might not fully know or understand the law here in MI... You have the right to farm as long as you follow GAAMPS and sell a product form your farm.

Last edited:
Quote:
So, if my one acre is zoned single family residential, I have no right to raise 3-5 chickens (hens) for egg production/sale under the MRTFA??

Jeff
(Oscoda, MI)

Jeff he is wrong. First he is an Illinoise attorney- he might not fully know or understand the law here in MI... You have the right to farm as long as you follow GAAMPS and sell a product form your farm.

OK, I guess the battle begins.
Sure seems absurd that I have to fight the local township to exercise a right that I already have under the state law, particularly when I have not broken any law and asked before I even began my backyard operation. darn, I sure do love government! Does the left hand have a clue what the right hand is doing?

Jeff

Last edited:
Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay :

Quote:
the Michigan Right to Farm statute is designed to protect Farms and Farm Operations, having 4 hens is a far cry from a Farm Operation and in my opinion makes a mockery of the intent of the statute.

Good luck with your venture, though.

This might give some insight into the MRTFA: http://www.michfb.com/files/ecology/Land Use Planning and the Right to Farm Act.pdf

Jim

So..is a farm 10 chickens? 100? 1000? 10000?. Under the MRTFA and the courts, there is no size requirement for a farm.​

Quote:
the Michigan Right to Farm statute is designed to protect Farms and Farm Operations, having 4 hens is a far cry from a Farm Operation and in my opinion makes a mockery of the intent of the statute.

Good luck with your venture, though.

This might give some insight into the MRTFA: http://www.michfb.com/files/ecology/Land Use Planning and the Right to Farm Act.pdf

Jim

So..is a farm 10 chickens? 100? 1000? 10000?. Under the MRTFA and the courts, there is no size requirement for a farm.

My position exactly. The law is what it is.

Quote:
Correct, but there is a profit intent. Defending 4 to 6 hens as a profitable enterprise in the courts would be a stretch.

If Jeff can swing the 4 to 6 hens using MRTFA act then more power to him. I just hope this type of frivolous (IMHO) use of the act doesn't erode its power to help farmers who depend on their operation to feed their families.

Jim

Last edited:
Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay :

Quote:
Correct, but there is a profit intent. Defending 4 to 6 hens as a profitable enterprise in the courts would be a stretch.

If Jeff can swing the 4 to 6 hens using MRTFA act then more power to him. I just hope this type of frivolous (IMHO) use of the act doesn't erode its power to help farmers who depend on their operation to feed their families.

Jim

I feel like if the law was meant to protect you, and only you, that it would say that. I don't see how it could erode it's power, only make it stronger. As more municipalities realize people's right to farm, it only makes it easier for more people to do this. Is your problem that people are now producing eggs for themselves, and cutting into your business? People should have the right to provide for their families. Whether it is to eat the eggs/chickens themselves, or sell them for money to provide. What makes your large operation any more important or valuable than any of ours? How do these small operations hurt anyone in these communities with these laws that go against the MRTFA anyway?​

Quote:
Teh law specifically requires that a farm be commercial and follow GAAMPS. If you follow those then your Farm/Farming Operation is protected from nuisance lawsuits. I have no problem with the small guy being protected along with the big guys, that is why the law was enacted to protect farms. As we know the definition of a farm is changing, fortunately this law took that into consideration, be for profit and follow GAAMPS and you are protected. I find it difficult to imagine a 4 to 6 hen operation falling in to the commercial aspect of the law, but i am not a lawyer, just a mere hog farmer.

Back
Top Bottom