Michigan Right to Farm Law, what does it mean?

Quote:
Wow, shocking. West Bloomfield isn't known as very user friendly for much of anything. Mostly known for years of extreme, constant political infighting among the board members, back when they were all Republicans, when they were from both parties, and now that they are almost all Democrats. And, also know for a lot of attitude by employees, code enforcement, etc. Congrats on this. I hope it goes through.

But, if the ordinance isn't even drafted yet, it's far from a done deal. It has to be drafted, go through the process, be voted on and passed.

Please keep us updated.

I've heard about and witnessed all you said about the troubles if the twp board. However, it just one person to champion my cause. BTW... It is a done deal. Chickens will be allowed. They are now seeing how this can be adopted so that all residents are considered. They agreed not to tag a number chickens on the ordinance because some of us have huge lots while others have postage stamps. Also agreed that there would be no cost to own chickens. Another positive. May be something that falls upon each subdivision to "opt in" or "opt out". I like that idea. So yes! It is all very positive and we couldn't be happier!

Quote:
Where did they link you to for the ordinance? I can't find that information in the official link that I am aware of. http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientId=13311&stateId=22&stateName=Michigan Maybe I am just looking in the wrong place though. I live in Mount Clemens, so I am close to this. I don't have any problems as of yet, but I definitely am keeping an eye on any local cases that I can.

I take it back, I found it. I was looking through a "simple" version of their ordinances. I needed to be looking in their zoning.

That was the problem I had. I couldn't find anything on muni but she sent me the link to the Shelby Township website and it is in section 3.01 under zoning. Even if they argue try to argue size or location of a farm, their ordinance is against state law because they specifically prohibit livestock anywhere in the township and the breeding/raising of animals for commercial purposes which The right to farm act protects.

Quote:
Politicians try to get away with a lot of things. I guess it's the job of the citizens not to let them get away with those things that are blatantly illegal.

Hi I am a very new chicken farmer. Right now we have 4 grown hens and 7 baby chicks. Our neighbors behind us are pretty cranky and we had to really talk them into signing for our permit. We would like to have all 11 of our chickens stay with us but im worried the neighbors will call on us. What should i do???

Quote:
Can you elaborate a little more on your situation? What permit? What does it say/allow. Is it a city permit or something? If so, what are the ordinances about the birds.

If you have a permit, and stay within it, they can't do too much. I guess they could always complain about noise or odors, whether or not those are actually a factor.

How easy is it for these cranky neighbors to see what you have? Or to hear them? If they don't know, they shouldn't care? Also, not that I'd advocate such an approach, but just in case you do have to fight fire with fire, what illegal things are the cranky neighbors doing? If they threaten to turn you in for chickens, what ammunition would you have to counter and say, "well, if you call city hall about my chickens, I'm calling them about the unlicensed cars in the driveway, the shed you built too close to lot lie, and the stack of firewood that is supposed to be covered...." That sort of thing. Just in case.

Most of the folks I know with dogs are in regular violation of some part of the city animal ordinance. While it doesn't help you as far as arguing with the city it can sometimes be very helpful in a "you ignore mine I'll ignore yours" kind of way to keep the city from even being brought in.

Back
Top Bottom