Michigan Right to Farm Law, what does it mean?

Wish I could take credit, but that link was originally posted by VikkiP, in post 465 on this thread.

VikkiP is from Shelby Township, and famously went to court to keep her chickens and won. Hope you do the same.

Hello-

I've been wanting to get chickens for a couple years, but was originally put off by my township stating they are not allowed. Basically, the ordinances define a chicken as a farm animal and a farm as being 20 acres or greater. Now that I am aware of the FTFA and and how it works, I'm like to move forward with this. I have gleaned heaps of useful information reading this thread, but still would appreciate advice on one thing (and potentially several more as this progresses.)

My understanding is that to be operating validly as a (massive 4- 6 chicken :eek: ) commercial farm operation, I should have a local business license. The application for that asks the type of business. I feel that I will have problems from the get go if I put "farm" or anything chicken related. Does anyone have a suggestion as to a nice vague answer that will not raise eyebrows at the township office, but is also not deceiving in a way that would cause issues later?

thanks

If your area requires a business license for home occupation businesses, you will not be under the radar no matter what you put for the description of your business.

Unless you will be doing business IN your house (egg sales) it may not be necessary to obtain a local license. Read your local ordinances and talk to the clerk if you have any questions.

I'm in Linden MI. I have had 6 hens for a year now. Recently took a chance of getting a rooster 2 months ago. I asked my adjacent neighbor's about chicken and again about the rooster. All of them gave me the green light. I didn't see anything in the Ordinances saying I couldn't. The catch was noise disruptors. I was talking with my neighbor today. He said the city was on the prowl for my rooster. He said they heard him while driving by. They didn't find them because he scared them off. He asked if there were any noise complaints against me. They stated no there wasn't. My neighbor told them to leave it be. They said its against the ordinances. They didn't want this turning into anything like Fenton. Which Fenton was recently on the news about the chicken keeping. I was planning on getting more. Upscale egg selling and I want to sell hatching eggs and chicks. I all ready got a business license. I plan on raising bees, selling soaps and doing cottage foods maybe in the future. I live right In downtown. Oh well, let the games begin!

I'm getting ready for a fight here in Garden City. I've had chickens for over a year now and last week by neighbor called the ordinance officer because she was mad at me about something completely unrelated. As a result I got a note in my mailbox which reads <sic> "I Recieved a Complaint about chickes/ this is against City Ordinances - 793-1804".

When I talked to the guy on the phone, he admitted that he didn't see any chickens and simply left the note based on a phoned in tip. Ordinances are enforced only when the city receives a complaint whether it is valid or not. I think this is what aggravates me the most.

Anyway, the ordinance officer is coming out on Friday to look at my backyard. If he doesn't see any chickens I don't see what he can do. I do have several documents printed that I'll be giving him which explain the RTFA, benefits of organic eggs, etc. We shall see if the ordinance guy is satisfied and just how mad the neighbor really is.

have been reading SO much on this site! We are going through the same thing here in Leelanau County. (Northern MI)
1/2 acre....county ran us out 4 yrs ago...at least on the selling stuff. Now we find out we can have a road side stand and they can't stop us. We are waiting to hear back if they will let us file for a special use permit for more chickens. However, now we read all of this forum and realize...WE WIN. We'll see what transpires.

have been reading SO much on this site! We are going through the same thing here in Leelanau County. (Northern MI)
1/2 acre....county ran us out 4 yrs ago...at least on the selling stuff. Now we find out we can have a road side stand and they can't stop us. We are waiting to hear back if they will let us file for a special use permit for more chickens. However, now we read all of this forum and realize...WE WIN. We'll see what transpires.

Welcome to BYC. However, you may want to avoid mentioning my name as I am now officially a criminal chicken outlaw.

Even though the Ordinance Officer did not see or hear a chicken when he inspected my yard, he still issued me me ticket based what a neighbor has said. I have 15 days to arrange for a court appearance. After I got the ticket, I gave him a copy of the file that Vikki posted earlier in this thread.

The citation reads "Storey of chicks". I have no idea of what he was trying to convey.
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom