Michigan Right to Farm Law, what does it mean?

Well i guess i'm a bad poster, unfortunately this site doesn't allow you to delete a comment,Sorry for my mistake.I wasn't trying to attack anyone.
I really don't think that anyone was attacked or even sorely offended. Many of us have been around long enough to realize that. Since this is an open forum there can be comments made that might ruffle some feathers (pun intended) but the overall theme of this thread is EDUCATION.

So sometimes even the mis-information can serve as education and reform beliefs or opinions based on faulty data.
Keep on posting. If you do end up with an issue that seems like an attack you can take it off-line with the PM feature.

I agree! We didn't mean to gang up on you, Matt. You just happened to jump in on a topic that we've been thinking and talking about for a long time. You're very welcome to join us here.

An example: If someone takes a photo of your private house or property, they have invaded your privacy unless they have a warrant. If they take a photo of the middle of a public street and you are caught on the side of that photo (the camera was not aimed at your private property) then it might be legal evidence.
Just saw this pop up, but this isn't completely accurate. The police can't photograph things (without a warrant) that you have a reasonable expectation of privacy for.

This means that they can't lean over your fence and take pictures, or stick a camera up to a window and take pictures, or go on your property and take a picture through a gap in a fence, because you have a reasonable expectation of privacy in those areas. They most certainly can though, take a picture of your house from the street, as there's no expectation of privacy for anything they can see from the road (there are some exceptions with telephoto lenses - - but that's the sort of thing a judge decides).

So if chickens are illegal in your area, don't go running around in your front yard in front of the police with them.

Here's a pretty good summary:
http://criminal.findlaw.com/criminal-rights/illegal-search-and-seizure-faqs.html

So, do ordinance officers have to follow these basic guidelines as well? Do township officials, and commissioners need to allow for these same rights to privacy?
Or can ordinance officers look over a PRIVACY fence? Or can township officials travel 1/2 a mile up your driveway to issue ordinance violation notices?
Not that any of these things actually happened... But lest just "pretend" for a minute.
Yes, I'm being sarcastic because I know these things have happened to fellow BYC members.

Posted today on the Michigan Small Farm Council Facebook page:

Yesterday I spoke to Mark Schauer about the problems that small farmers in Michigan face under the Snyder administration, and suggested that at least part of the problem is that small urban and residential farmers are not represented on the Commission of Agriculture, and are not represented on the GAAMPs Committees.
Candidate Schauer assured me that if he is elected Governor small farmers of all kinds will have his support. He will begin by appointing a small urban or residential farmer to the Commission of Agriculture and Rural Development when he takes office in January, and will also ensure that small urban or residential farmers are represented on the Site Selection GAAMPs Committee.
There are clearly many different political views among the folks that follow this page, but I hope we can all agree that it is a very big step to have one of our candidates for Governor take a clear stand in support of small farms. - Wendy Banka

To all Poutlry and Bee lovers-
Oct. 7, 2014
Bay City — Bay City officials have approved new rules for residents who keep chickens and bees.
The Bay City Times reports the city commission approved the changes 7-1 on Monday. Residents are allowed one hen per 10-square-feet of enclosures, with no more than 12 hens total. Residents can’t keep more than two beehives.
Chicken and bee owners will need to obtain written consent from a majority of their neighbors and a $50 permit.
Commissioner Lynn Stamiris voted against the ordinance and says the 12-chicken maximum is too high. He says he’d rather the city not allow any.
Ed Borus helped craft the new rules and currently owns 13 chickens. He says he’s not sure what he’ll do to reduce the flock because he’s “not ready to put any of them on the chopping block.”

Maybe other cities will follow. Let's hope.

I have an odd RTF question. This would likely not be covered in RTF as there is no commercial aspect of this. Its strictly personal. My daughter has special needs. She has dysphasia as well as delayed gastric emptying. She requires a special prescription formula for her condition. Recently we were introduced to RAW goat milk. Its been working beautifully. So, in our subdivision we got Nigerian Dwarf milking goats. Our township is pretty animal friendly as we are allowed to own chickens on any lot any size any zoning. But these aren't chickens, they're goats. Of course, someone complained, and the township came To tell us that they had to go.
Here is my question: can I keep them in my own house? Garage to be more specific? If they cannot be seen, can they be kept? I would like to think that what I do in my own house behind closed doors is my own business, but I know people cannot grow or manufacture drugs in their house. But as far as animals, its a bit different then drugs. (Although I think animals are more addicting then drugs)
Any thoughts? I know we have some attorneys on this thread too. Can I keep my goats in my house?
Thanks for any responses!
One more little piece of info, we milk for only our consumption, and we are not selling any offspring. This is why I'm positive its not RTF. Not to mention that we are definitely "primarily residential" according to MDARD.

@RTFchickens Would you be able to get a variance on this one ? Just a thought maye if your neighbor knew what they are for and the town may issue one as kind of a hardship case? It's not like they're viciuos or large. Just a thought.

Unfortunately since I live in a subdivision, the township is not willing to do a variance for an animal that is "agriculture" in nature. They said that if I had at least 2 acres, I could. Even being zoned residential, they would let me keep the goat if I had 2 acres...
Thank you for the suggestion though :)

I have just been served with an Ordinance violation. Took a year. I think I know who. But, when I file my response with the Ord Officer, I will formally ask for a copy of the complaint(s) - properly redacted to protect their anonymity. I have an LLC, have filed GAAMPS and the Ag Dept called me 3 times, after about 9 month, and I called back 8 times, but we never hooked up. If anyone needs a copy of my GAAMOS, I will share. suzywoodrow at hotmail dot com.

Back
Top Bottom