Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Wynette, Aug 7, 2012.

1. tdhenson86

tdhenson86 Poultry People

Is anyone coming to chickenstock with Heritage Rhode Island Reds? I REALLY NEED some HRIR hatching eggs if anyone has any!

2. ldelahanty

ldelahanty Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2013
    Traverse City
    HELP!
    Today we came home from picking up Hunter and he went to the brooder to say hello to his chicks and one of the two had died. She was 4 weeks old and he was really very fond of her. Her name is Selby. He refuses to let me give her a funera(yet, he held her for a solid hour and cried)l and is really scared the other is going to die too. I am concerned by both of those problems, but the issue I have is Dalia, the remaining 4 week old is going crazy in the brooder, screaming and flying and jumping and pacing. She must be held at all times. She is too young to put with our older girls because I fear they would peck her to death. I tried to put one of our gentle pullets (13 weeks) with her and it did not work. She got pecked and I just thought that was enough for one day. Any advice?
    We have 3-13 week old Pullets and 2 Hens that we are fostering. I do not have access to another chick of this age and I am not sure that would work, but really need help, this is our first death ever.
    Leah and Hunter

3. RaZ

RaZ Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Caseville, MI
    Can you put the little one in a cage with the 13 week old pullets? They would be separate but in close proximity.
    Another idea is a small stuffed animal like a beanie baby.

4. ldelahanty

Mar 25, 2013
    Traverse City
    Thanks Raz, I have her in the brooder and put Crispy with her (after trying everyone) and Crispy is tolerant of her, but Dalia is still screaming up a storm, it is ear piercing! I am not sure we will ever sleep tonight. Crispy is a God Send, hopefully this will help. I know that if i lost my best friend I would be upset too. I learned a lot, three is the least number of chicks to get at a time and medicated feed may not be such a bad Idea. I give the electrolytes and probiotics until 6 weeks. Any other advice would be great. Anyone ever raised and introduced a lone chick into the flock? I am very worried. She is too small (and doesnt have all of her feathers) to put into the coop because the weather is super cold, we have a frost tonight and tomorrow night.

5. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

If Crispy is tolerant, leave them together, and when it's time to introduce her, she'll be going in with Crispy... May make it easier. Only, don't introduce her till she's a good size...

If I wasn't so far away, and you didn't mind a few faverolle crosses... and a few not good quality fav chicks, I'd gladly give ya one or two. They are not so people friendly though. They are broody hen raised, and Beulah has decided she is done with them, they are only just 4 weeks. SO, tonight they've a heat lamp. The only ones who get one. Lucky things. Anyway...

6. RaZ

RaZ Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Caseville, MI
    Well, Crispy was broody when you picked her up so it might be a good match. Crispy is also really good in a small area so I think she would be OK in a brooder pen, even indoors. It might help the chick to have a surrogate mother close by.

I really don't know as I never went through what you are going through. Good luck.

7. Amy PT

Amy PT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2012
    Michigan
    Thank you! It's been a long haul and a lot of work.

8. ldelahanty

Mar 25, 2013
    Traverse City
    Thanks RAZ, she is really good, she loves to come indoors and hang out with me while I read. She is definitely a cuddle bug. We really like having her. She is a buddy to all of the chicks. Nova, where are you? I may be close...I am in Traverse City and I am in Standish all the time.

9. Trefoil

Trefoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    Congratulations Amy. And also Raz.

10. gaitngirl

gaitngirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Idelahanty - I had a lone marans survivor last fall. She was younger, though. We couldn't find another chick small enough to put with her and were in the same boat (minus the screaming). She was a lone chicken from October to February when I finally got 5 light brahma pullets to put in with her. The 6 are inseparable now and she was a great surrogate mom to them. She loves people, too (better than chickens). She follows me everywhere, pulling on my shoelaces until I pick her up, lol.
    If I were closer, I have a little banty that would probably be great with your little one . . .

Good luck!

Last edited: May 24, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by