Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Wynette, Aug 7, 2012.

1. ldelahanty

ldelahanty In the Brooder

Mar 25, 2013
    Traverse City
    Just wanted to update...my beautiful BO is doing much better, I think that she will make a full recovery. No mareks...
    On a sad note my 6 year old cat Mittens was sitting in an open window and the screen pushed out and he fell out and ran. He is an inside cat declawed in the front and I am worried. We were up all night searching in the storm, today all the kids in the neighborhood were looking, and no sign of him. We live by woods and I just can not help but think the worst. Needless to say my DH fixed the screen today. We are all hopefully that he will just show up tonight, like a teenager after a party, here's hoping.

2. theron

theron Theron's Fowl Farm

Nov 15, 2009
    Midland, MI
    She is a really nice lady with really nice birds. You will definitely enjoy your birds.
    I don't raise silkies anymore jorey. RIRJen got a few hens and the rest went to a friend of mine. Had to cut back somewhere and silkies were on the list. [​IMG]

3. Farmerboy16

Farmerboy16 Rebuilding my Farm

Dec 30, 2010
    Sparta, MI
    Welcome to all newbies!!!

I am an Uncle again!!!! As some of you remember that my Brother #1 and his wife had lost a baby boy last year. Well, Brother #2 and his wife just had a beautiful healthy baby girl! Born May 30th, Eliza Joy. 4 lbs, 15 oz, 19 inches long.

[​IMG]

Happy Daddy!
    [​IMG]

Happy Mommy!
    [​IMG]

Proud Grandma, my mom!
    [​IMG]

4. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Songster

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    Congrats FarmerBoy & Family!

5. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Since getting hearing aids I've been able to hear things that I haven't heard in a long time. This morning I woke to a strange sound; one I couldn't quite decide what it was. After much thought trying to figure out what it was I was stumped. However, now that things are starting to become visible in the predawn light I may have an answer. This warm wet weather has been the ideal growing condition for my lawn. I'll bet the sound I heard was my grass growing. It was cut less than a week ago and it has already reached a height that once cut I could probably wind row and bale.
    [​IMG]

6. going country

going country In the Brooder

Mar 19, 2013
    Otisville, MI
    Congrats FarmerBoy!

7. taprock

taprock Songster

Nov 1, 2010
    Northern L.P. Michigan
    New babies, new puppies, things that make life enjoyable.

Yesterday I had DH put down two roosters. My Dorking was not getting any better, he wasn't getting worse either, but when put with the flock everyone was picking on him. Since one sweet guy had to go I had a second one who has been charging me go as well. He was one of my original boys and a great guard, so I hate to see him go, but I will also not spend all my time watching my back for a rooster.

Today my Pheasant are hatching. I always put in a couple of my eggs when I get eggs so I can judge if the hatch rates are egg or incubator related. This morning when I got up I have a showgirl waiting for me. I didn't think I put any eggs in that could be showgirls but I'll take it anyway.

Our riding mower is broken and off to repairs so our yard looks like a hay field. I attempted to use the push mower yesterday....and failed. And since DH wants about an acre of yard mowed it won't be me doing it, it will stay a hay field until the rider gets back.

8. SillyChicken

SillyChicken Crowing

Jan 12, 2010
    welcome new folks!

Congrats on the new addition farmer!

It's going to be a long week next week. Had to come in to work all day on Sunday (today), and then I have all next week to look forward too. I did take Friday off in trade for today. so I at least had 2 days off and got a lot of stuff done. Transplanted some hostas from one garden to a new one by the drive way. Got all the flower beds weeded... planted 4 small blue spruces.

Since the brooder box was getting crowded, I took the turkeys and guinea chicks and put them out in the pen intended for the Sumatras. Hooked up a heat lamp so they have a warm dry place to go. I'm really unhappy with the chicks I got this year. All the birds I hatched have done fine, but the hatchery birds (turkeys and chicks from ideal) have been... sickly. I've had to put down 3 so far, and 3 more that are having a hard time I may put them down as well. I put them back on the probiotics and now giving some antibiotics to see if that can help. I'm at a bit of a loss.......... and to top it all off, I think Uggo may turn out to be a roo, cause he was dancing in front of me the other day... and calling for hens to come see the food he found.... he just doesn't have much of a comb at all.... Ugggg... Uggo!

Hope everyone had a good weekend.

9. naglady

naglady Songster

Jan 12, 2013
    Northern Michigan
    So sorry, you did what you had to do.. [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC..
    Awe he is so adorable..

Good Luck..

Looking good.. love these hugel bed photos.
    Welcome to BYC
    Welcome Leisa to BYC.. Glad you found us.. lots of nice people here..
    nice to see someone on here that is close to me.. I live in Oscoda..
    Good luck with your new chicken adventure..

Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
  10. naglady

naglady Songster

Jan 12, 2013
    Northern Michigan

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by