Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Wynette, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Nigellas

Nigellas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2008
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Welcome! I like your blog, cute chickens. :)

-----------
    Congratulations and your new niece, Daren! She is beautiful. :)
    ------------

2. Nigellas

Nigellas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2008
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Anyone have any ideas what might be up with this (mix) chick and the weird way it's feathering in? They look like twigs. None of the others it's brooding with look like this, so I don't think it's a food issue...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
  3. RaZ

RaZ Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Caseville, MI
    I got lucky with these pictures.
    That bug is just shy of 1/2 inch long. I tried to get some more photos but I can't get the focus right.

4. Lisa and girls

Lisa and girls Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2012
    West Michigan
    Silkie mix?

5. RIRJen

RIRJen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Fantastic! :) I wondered how they were doing! We had a great trip and it was wonderful meeting you! Wouldn't you know it that I send you almost all the splash and I've only gotten a few more LOL Darn birds are playing games with me ;)

[​IMG] I pay him to say things like that [​IMG]

It was great meeting you! So glad you like them!

I was going to say the same thing. Almost looks like the shredding you would see on a silkie...plus I think I see some darker pigment on its feet and that could also indicate silkie. I wouldn't worry too much about it, looks like a healthy chick :)

6. SuttonsDaze

SuttonsDaze Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2013
    Mikado, Michigan
    Yeah, I'm trying to feel bad for it, but I just can't seem to get there. My world has a basic rule. You are encouraged to live a long and productive life..... as long as you stay out of my house and my coop :)

Besides, it was fine. Relocated for the moment because i'm certain that it made its way back to the coop with this cold weather.

Leisa

7. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    Nigellas-- my ducks feather in just like that. So while I don't know a darn thing about chickens, I'm going to say your chick looks healthy and I wouldn't worry. :)

Otherwise I'm checking in for some "normal" feelings. My human family are being very negative about my ducks. I need a fence for them. I am in love with this one and I've got trees! Anybody up for building it? LOL
    http://www.motherearthnews.com/diy/beautiful-rustic-dog-fence.aspx#axzz2V6KIvkt3

8. gladahmae

gladahmae Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    Benzie, MI
    Ugh! This weather can just be done already! I had to scrounge around for milk jugs, buckets, and even resorted to putting empty feed bags over the tomato cages to try to prevent frost damage tonight! Heck! I even put the kids sleds upside down over my peppers because they're so tiny! Tarped over the strawberries, the raised bed, and threw a sheet over my just-planted pallet planter. Brought all the hanging baskets in, along with the wave petunias that I still need to get put IN the remaining 4 hanging baskets. The use of the word "frost" in June is NOT ok with me! And looking at the forecast, it's not looking like it's going to get over 70 until next week. I hope they're wrong. This weather may be great for my lawn, but it's wreaking havoc on my flowers and veggies!

We evicted the chicks from the basement and put them out into the small coop this afternoon. Turned the heat lamp on so they have something to huddle under tonight. They looked so big in the brooder in the basement and now seem so tiny in the coop!

Now that we've had chickens out of the run for the small coop for a few days, and it's rained a TON, we're noticing that there are some kind of sprouts coming up like crazy in there. I have a few theories of what it could be: sunflowers or oats from the scratch grains, or cucumber or squash from tossing them the "rejects" from the garden last year. They are EVERYWHERE! I'm actually rather tempted to plant the run with some goodies since the chicks are way too small to navigate the ramp without a mama to show them how (and I'm not in the mood to try to catch them every night) and we'll probably just keep them cooped up for a couple of weeks. I'm thinking kale and maybe some spinach.......

9. tmkuroda

tmkuroda Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2013
    Grayling, Mi
    I planted a veggie garden in Grayling yesterday and then went downstate. Did it frost last night?!?! OMG So my tomato and pepper plants are toast since there was no one around to cover them up right? I want to cry!

10. Brethren49619

Brethren49619 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2012
    NW Michigan
    According to weather.com, the current temp is 33, but feels like 29 with fog. This is probably your lowest temp of the night, so you might be okay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by