Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Wynette, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    [​IMG]Cool and dry. While not ideal growing weather for the garden it is an improvement over all the rain. The grass has gotten tall enough that it has gone to seed. I'm sure that it is going to require raking.

2. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    I'm super thankful for the wind & sun yesterday. Thanks to all my BYC Friends, my pen is dry and not smelling nasty finally.

Any takers on the fence idea I posted last night? :) Seriously, I need ideas for a cheap, easy fence. Tomatoes look ok here.

So I heard this am that a wild turkey was identified as having West Nile. I never thought of that. Anyone else?

I'm thinking about reseeding my garden of oats and building a scarecrow. Is it odd to build a scarecrow in June? I don't think my ducks will be at all phased.

3. uchytil

uchytil Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    I doubt you'll find Osage Orange to use, lol. Using natural timber can be problematic in that eventually it rots. Even dipped in tar at the base. Cypress, tamarack, oak, and cedar would be my choices but you'll have straight poles. I built a cypress adirondak chair and bench about 25 years ago and they still sit in the yard with no rot and were never treated. You can still make things look "rustic" though. Use cedar logs for corners. Instead of using the corner pole support I cement them in the ground to give me someting to pull the fence (tighten). My corners are twice the diameter of the side poles. Then, about every 8 to 10 feet I use posts (1/2 dia of the corners) for fence. To add a look, I add top boards rough cut from the sawmill. It gives you extra height and strengthens the overall span. You can use field fence, sheep, or no-climb horse, depending on what size hole you want. Gates are more of a challenge but can be the focal (artistic) point of the entire thing. There are so many ways to do it. For ducks I just rip some 2x4s into 2x2s and make them 5 feet long. Drive 12 inches in the ground and wrap 4 foot chicken wire around - about 100 feet. The ends meet at their house. I lock them in at night so only daytime could be an issue. Their pond is within that fence. If you have trees that form a natural boundary you could just stretch a type of fence around that? So many ways to do it, so little time, ha ha.

4. Huston's Happy Hens

Huston's Happy Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2008
    Dewitt, MI
    Anyone interested in a couple of male Black Copper Marans? They are 5 weeks old - location Dewitt area;
    if interested, pm me - enjoy the SUN!

5. kimmie6067

kimmie6067 Chillin' With My Peeps

Farmerboy, what a cute baby and your family looks so happy

6. tdhenson86

tdhenson86 Poultry People

Who couldn't love that face? [​IMG] Congratulations to you and your family!

7. tdhenson86

tdhenson86 Poultry People

I have some Breda Fowl if anyone is interested--2 black and 1 blue. Make me an offer. I need the extra room in my pens. Thanks!

8. SuttonsDaze

SuttonsDaze Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2013
    Mikado, Michigan
    We have a lot of trees, but I am concerned about raccoons when it comes to using them for a natural boundary other than pigs. We had hoped to have the pig run in and complete but are still working towards it. I was going to place that between the "woods" and the fowl hoping it would provide some bit of protection for the chickens and eventual ducks.

I love the idea of cedar posts and using branches from the available trees to make it look rustic though. I have seen a number of inspiration photo's on pinterest.

Leisa
    Doodle's Coop

9. Hillbilly Hen

Hillbilly Hen Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2009
    Newaygo Michigan
    Rose, that is an adorable puppy! The floors look great too.

[​IMG] Welcome to all the new members. Please be sure to join us for this years Chickenstock. It's a great way to meet a bunch of nice folks!
    Sorry for those that won't be able to make it, maybe there will be another one planned for the fall.

Opa, that is a cute puppy. So glad things turned out for the good.

[​IMG]
    Glad the chicken is better. I hope your cat shows up and is ok.
    Congrats Daron! Beautiful family!!

10. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    I would like to offer a suggestion about setting posts, whether for a deck or a fence. Tautmped earth is effective but besides the effort it isn't a secure as setting a post in concrete. A concrete set post has much more holdinck fill with peg power but the problem with concrete is it takes time to set. Over time the wood shrinks leaving a small void between the post and the cement. This will fill with water rotting the end of the post.
    A much better method is to hold the post plumb and back fill with pea gravel. It will flow around the post locking in in to position. As the post shrinks the pea gravel will continue compact. There never is a pocket to collect water

2 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by