Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Wynette, Aug 7, 2012.

1. tdhenson86

tdhenson86 Poultry People

Thanks for the advice! That is really good to know especially since my parents are putting in a deck off their house this year. [​IMG]

2. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    Thank uchytil & Opa! You've given me excellent advice, No doubt on the Osage Orange!! ROTFL Actually I was thinking about a million ln ft of dead ash trees from out back, you know, the ones the wind refused to take down for me. The only real trees I've got to work with are spruce, for and pines, not sure how well that would work for me.... Although I just had a lightbulb! Thanks Guys, I'll be back to bug yas for info after I think on this a bit. :)

3. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Well, I am glad chicken eggs don't need to be refrigerated. Because something went terribly wrong with the fridge. I was reading, when I heard an electrical sound (bbbzzzzt!) and then a crackle and rank smelling smoke started wafting into the kitchen. Yep, small electrical fire. I have no idea what caused it, but the unit is toasted, literally. I am just glad I was HOME, because that would have likely been a house fire...

Thankfully, there was a little fridge from my dorm days gathering dust in the garage. It saved the stuff that needed to be kept chilled (I just bought new medications for the poultry and goats). The freezer got emptied into the deep freeze (thankfully there was enough room!). No damage in and around the outlet (flipped the breaker on that one until I knew for sure). Seems the problem was limited to just the electrical parts on the refrigerator.

4. ldelahanty

ldelahanty Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2013
    Traverse City
    Oh, my Stacykins! I feel for you, it does not sound good, thinking good thoughts and sending good vibes.

5. uchytil

uchytil Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    Decks are different in that posts are set plumb on footings above grade. BTW, I've had contractor friends told to remove decks they built because they did not have a permit. Better check with the local building inspector before starting any venture like a deck.

6. uchytil

Apr 28, 2011
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The duck fence comes down in winter when the snow creates it's own fence. Even so, I let them free range when I'm home. Goats free range when I'm with them, otherwise they would eat everything except the brush!

7. uchytil

Apr 28, 2011
    I love plants that propogate themselves. Start with a few and boom - everywhere. Trust me there's a ton more!
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. Lisa and girls

Lisa and girls Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2012
    West Michigan
    That is a beautiful picture. Thanks for sharing!

9. SillyChicken

SillyChicken Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2010
    Love lupines... too bad they're not a perennial... bi annual I believe, but I never had any volunteer after that. I have a few plants that volunteer lots of new ones every year via seeds. (some a little too eager!).

Most treated lumber now a days is not really rated for underground - hence the use of sono tubes/cement for decks... We're lucky (sorta) that we have gravel or sand all over
    so we don't use anything else to put around our set posts. A previous fence we put in our old house (next door to us) was over 15 yrs ago, it's still nice and straight!.

10. uchytil

Apr 28, 2011
    Right. They do re-seed hence more plants every year. I've seen hillsides in Maine that cover acres and are there every year.

The treated posts in MI are mostly red pine and I think they do a poor job of treating them. That said, I've cemented them in and they last a long time. I crown the base above grade to create runoff. Seems to help. If I could get cypress in quantity I'd be a happy boy for sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by