Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Wynette, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Hillbilly Hen

Hillbilly Hen Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2009
    Newaygo Michigan
    So sorry Theron [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. RTFchickens

RTFchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2013
    USA
    Hi BYC group! I live in MI and new to BYC and chicken owning in general. We have 27 chicks 5 weeks old. We recently purchased 59 acres and want to raise our chickens there. The coop is nearly finished so they can come out of garage :)
    I was just informed that the township doesn't allow for us to raise chickens because we are zoned residential.
    Will Right to Farm Act protect us?
    Any feedback is much appreciated!
    BTW, I love this discussion forum! I don't Facebook, but now addicted to BYC ;)

3. tdhenson86

tdhenson86 Poultry People

That's terrible! I'm glad you were home!

4. tdhenson86

tdhenson86 Poultry People

Theron, I'm so sorry to hear the bad news! [​IMG]

5. Hillbilly Hen

Hillbilly Hen Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2009
    Newaygo Michigan
    Welcome [​IMG] You have 59 acres and you aren't allowed chickens??? [​IMG] Oh what a world, what a world!

6. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    Theron, that is so crummy. I'm sorry.

Uchytil-- about Lupines, I tossed some seed down one fall several yrs ago, have had beautiful biennial blooms. However this year, I have some catnip crowding a lupine from the front. Hate to disturb roots, since my soil is shallow + poor. Should I try to dig out the cat nip, leave it? Are you willing to bring some purple seeds to CS?

7. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    Sorry Theron!

8. RTFchickens

RTFchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2013
    USA
    Yes, some how it's zoned residential. We just bought it May 3rd, and we are looking into getting re-zoned to agricultural. Then we can have chickens plus other farm animals. I spoke to township today, and he said we would have to petition the township for a variance to change zoning. We also have to get permission from neighbors within 300 feet. Then I explained um, there is nobody within 20 acre radius of house...
    Hopefully it will not be a difficult process to go agricultural.

9. minniefarm

minniefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2013
    Whitmore Lake
    Hi everyone,

I am on the mend. I got out and dug in the garden and that seemed to loosen those sore spots! This is our first spring in our home and all the gardens have been neglected for years. Lots of overgrowth, weeds and more weeds. The chickens are helping with some of the clearing. Yesterday we let them out of their run to free range for the first time. I think they believed they were in a candy shop! Those were some really happy girls. I still have the young ones separate from the big girls. Everyone is in the coop, separated by fencing. They have runs with a shared fence wall so they see each other day and night. The young ones are almost the same size and the laying hens. Only the two BSL are larger. I think this weekend, I will let mingle and see if they get along ok.

10. taprock

taprock Chillin' With My Peeps

I hatched my first uggo!! Not on purpose, it was a control egg from my sizzle in with the pheasant eggs. I have three pheasants hatched and six moe pips.
    [​IMG]

So sorry Theron.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by