Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Wynette, Aug 7, 2012.

1. ldelahanty

ldelahanty Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2013
    Traverse City
    Theron, I am so sorry!

2. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    Congrats Tap!!! So cute!!!

3. theron

theron Theron's Fowl Farm

Nov 15, 2009
    Midland, MI
    Chickenstock is too far away to rehome some birds. We have some options that we are running through right now.

4. theron

theron Theron's Fowl Farm

Nov 15, 2009
    Midland, MI
    Here is an update: Our laying flock is going to live at my friends house, our ducks are going to live with my other friend, our geese are going on my mothers property which is only an acre, and our seramas, polish and cochins are going to live at my grandmas. These are all temporary homes until we get the property idea situated. I couldn't do any of this without my friends and family. I would like to thank everyone who offered their kind words or your homes as a temporary solution for my birds. Hopefully, this will all work out in the end.

5. gladahmae

gladahmae Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    Benzie, MI
    [​IMG]

Put my eggs in lockdown today, and made a little hardware cloth divider so my breeds all have their own quarter of the incubator and I can hopefully keep everyone straight. I've got ameraucanas, marans, OEs, and mutts all in there, so there's a potential for lots of black or yellow chicks on both sides and I'd like to know who is who. Hopefully I have a good hatch because I ordered more eggs today.

Since putting my hens all back together, and having the new roo in with everyone (instead of with just 4 of the hens) my egg count is half of what it was. From the looks of the eggs I'm getting, the hens that were with the new roo for a month and a half are not laying now that I've put them BACK in with the rest of the flock. Ugh. Hopefully it's just a little moving stress and they get their rears in gear. ;)

Weeded the flower bed today, and started papering/mulching it. The second part is going to take about 2-3x as long as the weeding, so I've got my work cut out for me! It's going to look SO NICE once it's done though. Hopefully it'll keep me from having to spend so many hot days yanking out grass and weeds this summer.

6. RaZ

RaZ Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Caseville, MI
    Verification Update!

The word from the main office is that MAEAP verification is now available to any operation raising an agriculture product. There will be no politics involved regarding zoning or legal matters arising from raising ag products. Already, small farm operations in Detroit are being scheduled for verification.

I urge that you go to the www.maeap.org website and read over the procedure. Then decide if you want to pursue this avenue that is available to you. Call your area tech and schedule an appointment for a review. I'm sure that you have most of the criteria met but there may be a few "DOH" things that you over looked. I know I had a couple.

Also, if anyone is interested in a mini-seminar on what MAEAP is all about, I would be happy to give a 20 minute talk about it at CS on the 22nd. I think this is a worthwhile programme. Even if you are not seeking certification, the sound stewardship ideas can help improve your portion of Mother Earth.

2 people like this.
  7. ldelahanty

ldelahanty Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2013
    Traverse City
    went to pick up Hunter from school and they needed us to take home Snow and Marion the 2 white rock chickens that we donated this spring. The construction makes it impossible to keep them there. They really need a new home asap for the summer only or forever. They are really great, loving pair. Snow is a 16 week old Roo and Marion is a 16 week old Pullet. She will begin to lay anytime between now and 4 weeks from now. They are easy to handle and like attention, I really can not keep them here because we have our max 6 and because we can not have a roo. if you or someone you know can help please let me know asap. PM me and I will give you my number.
    Leah

8. naglady

naglady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2013
    Northern Michigan
    For the new members just want to say Hi and Welcome..

So sorry Theron..

Last night something got to my 2 one month old chicks outside in the coop.. I am setting 2 traps tonight with chicken in it.. or should i have something else in there..
    i sure hope i catch the predator.

Been busy with the garden and enjoying the outside. wish this weather will warm up enough to get my warm weather crops.. still have tomatoes and peppers, and some other veggies to plant

9. snowflake

snowflake Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Belding Michigan
    so sorry to hear this, sounds like you have things covered, ,,,,are you in the city??
    This is to much,,, 59 acres [​IMG]
    thank you!! I am interested, and will check out the sight

Tap, the uggo's are soo sweet!!

10. ladyrsanti

ladyrsanti Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    Michigan
    A before and after shot of the milk house door project. It really needed it. Now I need to paint the trim and door on the garage.

[​IMG]

Got one ultrasound down and now going in for a HIDA scan. Also walked away with a huge patch of hives, probably from the towel they used, everywhere the gel touched is now red, raised and itchy - yuck! I make my own laundry detergent out of just a few ingredients so the caustic commercial stuff the hospital uses is probably the cause - along with stress I'm sure. Can't imagine being allergic to the gel. It's pretty inert stuff and I've been having ultrasounds for years with no problem.

Sorry to hear about your issue, Theron. Sucks. Good that you've found temp. homes for them though.

I found another neighbor that confirmed the presence of a fox on our street. I've never seen it or evidence of any attempts on the coop but I will definitely keep the chickens away from the corn field this summer.

The other day I opened the door between the two runs and let the little guys in with the old ladies. But the old ladies don't like the little guys and keep them corralled in their side or be pecked. It's kind of funny to watch. Then the ladies all go inside and the little guys run out and fly crazy around the entire run.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by