1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Wynette, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Nigellas

Nigellas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2008
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Yes! I would very much like to hear this. :)

2. uchytil

uchytil Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    Cool, love artsy stuff like that!

3. uchytil

Apr 28, 2011
    Theron, will the buniies be an issue? If so I can raise them for you until you find new digs. Let me know.

4. uchytil

Apr 28, 2011
    What a day, eh?

5. RaZ

RaZ Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Apr 20, 2011
    TBD - Please help.
    It was a good day overall. I finished the Hugel bed and have some plants and seeds in.
    Perhaps a bit late, but given the screwy cold weather, I'm not too concerned.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. naglady

naglady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2013
    Northern Michigan
    lady you did a awesome job on the door

hugel bed looks great to

Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
  7. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Went early this morning to a friend's house and bought 55 Kwik Fish and Hot Shot fishing lures. With the 100+ I already have I this I should be in good shape lure wise for th e fall run of salmon and steelhead. I think to properly sort them by color and size I will need to buy another tackle box. It's amazing how the acquisition of one thing can lead to the absolute need for something else. Before you know it the boat is full and you need to start thinking about getting a bigger boat.

Sprayed the apple trees this evening and the trees are absolutely loaded with fruit. As long as we don't get a killing fronst and I can keep the bugs under control we should have a bumper crop this year. I read somewhere that there are 568 different things like scale, blight, aphids, nematodes, etc that can affect and damage an apple. Makes we wonder how anyone can grow apples without some chemical intervention.
    [​IMG]

8. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Since the long-range weather forcast up here is for highs in the 60's into July, my garden will be going in this weekend. Hopefully being a raised bed will allow the soil temp to warm enough for the plants to grow. My yard is a warm microclimate, surrounded by thick woods. Rototilled the 4 tractor buckets of aged horse manure in today, and erected the anti-chicken fencing.

Theron, I hope things work out for you. Glad to hear that you have family and friends to help preserve your efforts.

9. Hillbilly Hen

Hillbilly Hen Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2009
    Newaygo Michigan
    [​IMG] Me too.

Sorry about the loss of the chicken.

Theron, I am glad you have some great folks to help you out.

Opa, our trees didn't even bloom. They were just about ready too then we had freezing temps. Do you can the salmon or smoke it?

Door looks great.

10. gaitngirl

gaitngirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks great! I'm so far behind on my gardening it's ridiculous . . . if you ever decide to move up this way, I should rent you part of my house Randy, lol. You would probably whip my yard right into shape.
    BTW, the two Rouen drakelets are just getting their drake feathers. It's sooo cute. The two young Rouen girls go around bobbing their heads at both the Rouen drakelets and the Indian Runners drakelets. My stuck up Muscovies don't want anything to do with any of the other ducks. They stick to themselves and chase the other ten away (did I mention I got 2 more Pekins from Holly? lol. Crazy duck math!!!).
    And thanks for the MAEAP info. I will check it out when I get a chance. Who knows - I may need it the way things are going with the anti-farm movements.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by