Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Here is an update: Our laying flock is going to live at my friends house, our ducks are going to live with my other friend, our geese are going on my mothers property which is only an acre, and our seramas, polish and cochins are going to live at my grandmas. These are all temporary homes until we get the property idea situated. I couldn't do any of this without my friends and family. I would like to thank everyone who offered their kind words or your homes as a temporary solution for my birds. Hopefully, this will all work out in the end.

That's really good news!!

Caught me a Raccoon last night, hopefully I dont have to deal with a predator again. but we all know thats a risk you have with farm animals.. I am glad i caught it, and will be leaving the traps out a couple more days. its a young one..

Went early this morning to a friend's house and bought 55 Kwik Fish and Hot Shot fishing lures. With the 100+ I already have I this I should be in good shape lure wise for th e fall run of salmon and steelhead. I think to properly sort them by color and size I will need to buy another tackle box. It's amazing how the acquisition of one thing can lead to the absolute need for something else. Before you know it the boat is full and you need to start thinking about getting a bigger boat.

Sprayed the apple trees this evening and the trees are absolutely loaded with fruit. As long as we don't get a killing fronst and I can keep the bugs under control we should have a bumper crop this year. I read somewhere that there are 568 different things like scale, blight, aphids, nematodes, etc that can affect and damage an apple. Makes we wonder how anyone can grow apples without some chemical intervention.

I'm sure I asked before, but what do you spray on your trees?

If you mean me (misch=mish?) I'm still lurking around. I went chickenless over the winter. Now I'm raising bobwhites for release. And couldn't resist 4 chicks and 2 guineas from Family Farm a couple weeks ago. And picked up some broody Silkies that decided to unbroody themselves - so are now for sale.
roll.png
hoping to find homes for them at chickenstock or before. All show quality hens - 2 white, one buff and I believe an already presold partridge. $15 each or the 3 for $36. Don't really want to haul birds unless I know I won't be returning home with them.

I hope rbahmer is still around, I really enjoyed visiting her last year.

I look forward to seeing all the familiar faces and new ones in just a couple more weeks. I guess I should add myself to the attendance list.
Yes she is....sorta. Last I knew she was still planning on attending. You could always PM her.

[quote name="Mish" url="/t/697050/michigan-thread-all-are-... Don't really want to haul birds unless I know I won't be returning home with them.
...I should add myself to the attendance list....[/quote]

No kidding about hauling birds around!

It is looking like I will be able to come, as long as nothing unforseeable pops up. I can bring homemade bread for sandwiches and egg salad, a jello desert ...Or if something else is needed/wanted, other than RaZ's lobster :) (not that I wouldn't love lobster!)... Just let me know.

I am sorry for the stupid question, but what is chicken stock and where is it?
I am about 6 weeks into chicken owning :)
I live in Michigan. Part time in GR area and part time "up north" in Baldwin area near PM river.
The BYC group has had the best info and greatest people I have come across!

I am sorry for the stupid question, but what is chicken stock and where is it?
I am about 6 weeks into chicken owning
smile.png

I live in Michigan. Part time in GR area and part time "up north" in Baldwin area near PM river.
The BYC group has had the best info and greatest people I have come across!

The only stupid question, is the one that's not asked......

Michigan Chickenstock 2013
June 22nd, 10am-3pm

Delta Mills Park

6841 Old River Trail
 * Lansing, MI 48917

It's when all us crazy chicken people on here........ gather in one spot.......... and have a good time! Kinda like a family reunion....... and I believe it gets bigger every year. It's free to attend, though we do ask for a donation to help pay for the pavilion rental and some of the food cost for meat. And a dish to pass if you plan on eating some great food with the rest of us. There are links that I will add shortly.

Quote:
bring em....... much harder to resist when people see them in person.... (there is one lady that shows up that will take anything/everything if she can get on the cheap, though I speculate that they'll end up dinner).

I got my garden planted!!
yesss.gif
Not an easy job since I had to wait until our new puppy finally took a nap! Having lots of fun with Otis.

Have a mystery.. found a huge puddle of blood in my garage. Some under the camper and a few drops here and there, front and back yard. No bodies of any kind. Ran around looking for all my chickens and found no one injured, or dead. Had to be dead with all that blood. Waited until everyone was roosted and saw no one missing or injured. Everyone alive this morning. So.... where did all that blood come from?? Looked around for an injured animal or dead one, but can't find one. It's just creepy. Garage door was open, so anything could have come in. Just creepy. Both my cats are safe, too. Bunnies are ok. Hmmmm...just creepy.

Back
Top Bottom