Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Wynette, Aug 7, 2012.

1. RIRJen

RIRJen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Mish, I'm going to at least take that partridge...if the other ones aren't presold I'll take a looksie at them too ;)
    Robin is definately still around! Heading to spend time with her this saturday!

Quote: oops, thought I cleaned that up when I moved the body [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]....my bad [​IMG]

2. RaZ

RaZ Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Caseville, MI
    If you go on Friday, you can see M2M.

Aren't I the busy-body gossip today? [​IMG]

3. ladyrsanti

ladyrsanti Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    Michigan
    Rhubarb envy, you know you has it. [​IMG] I froze two gallon freezer bags full yesterday AND made some rhubarb crisp. There's still more out there too. Good year for rhubarb.

[​IMG]

The ladies helping me with some asparagus beetle larvae. It was a really bad infestation this year. Good work ladies! There are almost none left (with a little help - they couldn't reach the upper branches so I had to shake them down).
    [​IMG]

4. Wrightsx4

Wrightsx4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2012
    Northwest Michigan
    Hi everyone! Hi lady! Do you still have your wheatens, curious how they turned out. I ended up with two, a male and a female. I made rhubarb sauce today for icecream...yummmm. I can't grow it no matter what I do, but my 11 year old grows it like a jungle 25 feet away.

5. SillyChicken

SillyChicken Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2010
    thats crazy.......were you able to find a trail in and out of your garage? Cause..... it could still be in the garage.. just looking a place to hide and die. Got a dog or a friend with one you could let explore the space? I use mine to help me track wounded game.. (deer and critters). just a thought.......

6. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Heavy applications of well-rotted horse manure work wonders on Rhubarb - this big leaf came in at 32"x34", big enough for an umbrella. The stalks are huge.

[​IMG]

7. Wrightsx4

Jun 15, 2012
    Northwest Michigan
    If rhubarb requires manure to flourish, maybe my DD's rhubarb is benefitting from runoff from the main garden (chicken coop compost).

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  8. Wrightsx4

Jun 15, 2012
    Northwest Michigan
    My other rhubarb is in fairly sandy soil within the strawberry beds.

9. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Silly asked what do I spray my trees with and several hours ago I typed a response. Before I could hit send I was called away from the computer and then got busy with other things. When I came in for a coffee break I found it waiting and hit send only to have it disappear into cyber-space. So once again.

Before the trees bud I spray with Volck oil spray. This is to take care of the over-wintering bug, larvae, and eggs that have secreted themselves under the bark.

The next spray is not until after the blossoms have fallen. You don't want to risk killing the bees as they are preforming the vital task of pollinating your trees. I use Ortho Orchard Spray which is a pesticide, a fungicide, and a miticide. This will handle most insects and blights. I saturate the trees thoroughly making sure that the underside of the leaves are sprayed as well. I then re-spray after every heavy rain or every two weeks.

It is always good to have a plan for most things you do and when that plan works it is a wonderful thing. When it doesn't work it can be horribly frustrating. Case in point. Hope's oldest son has a motor that he is shipping off to have work done on it. I had helped him secure and crate it for shipping. I had it weighed so freight charges could be computed and then asked Roy to co- ordinate with the shipper and if they called me I would meet them at a shopping center where we could transfer the 420 lb crate from my trailer onto the the lift gate of the semi. That way traffic wouldn't be blocked on my road and the semi driver wouldn't have to drive a mile to turn the semi around.

Every was supposedly set up that way. The shipping ticket was quite clear, the only down side was they couldn't pin the time down much beyond 12-5 and that the driver would call first. Several tasks I had hoped to complete today would require running motors that would preventing me from hearing the phone so they would have to be put on hold. I wished it was more precise on the time but I would deal with it.

Finally a little before 3pm a large semi pulls in front of my house blocking traffic. The truck has no lift gate or any means of getting a 420lb crate from my trailer into the back of the truck. I asked the irritated driver if he had read the shipping order and of course all he looked at was the address. Evidently his dispatcher didn't look at the shipping order either. Now I will have to wait around tomorrow and hopefully someone will read the shipping request to the dispatcher.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  10. ladyrsanti

ladyrsanti Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    Michigan
    Hey! Yes I do. Well, I've sold two of them and have three left, one is a roo which I will keep. They are not too bad so far but I have a feeling they would not be allowed in the wheaten marans thread for some reason or another. They would probably beat me down with "I can't believe people don't know when something is a breed and when it isn't", like I got in the brahma thread. Not sure I'd buy from that breeder again. But still, hoping they lay nice dark eggs and then I won't care if they're up to breed standard or not.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by