Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Wynette, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Wrightsx4

Wrightsx4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2012
    Northwest Michigan
    Good to know. Yeah, I'm sure mine are the same - I wouldn't dare compare mine to any standards. Not that I'd know where to begin. Sorry you got such responses on the Brahma thread. Not nice. Our wheatens did come from nice dark eggs and that's what I really want - just adding some variation. And I think they're pretty...even if they aren't perfect! Lol.
    I have a broody australorp due to hatch salmon faverolle eggs from another BYCer this weekend...so excited!

2. snowflake

snowflake Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Belding Michigan
    I think it would be fine and I will check and see if I have signed all threads [​IMG]
    I catch rabbits(wild) in my garage all the time, if the cat finds them there could be blood, so far they have been lucky,
    love the hens in the asparagus1,
    I have a rhubarb question, mine always gets a seed stalk, comes up almost before the leafs, they are usually small yet, do I have a male plant or something, next yr I play to cut it out as soon as I see it, my Dad grew rhubarb forever and I don't ever remember it getting a seed stalk

3. ladyrsanti

ladyrsanti Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    Michigan
    All rhubarb sends up flower stalks. Just break them off whenever they come up and the plant will put its energy into making edible stalks instead. [​IMG]

4. ladyrsanti

ladyrsanti Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    Michigan
    Mine were all over the place. The main criticism is that most of mine had black spots on their heads at hatch and wheaten marans apparently should not, ever. Whatever that means for an adult's plumage and egg laying capabilities, I don't know. I just want those chocolate eggs!

I hear a lot about Salmon Faverolles on here. What is the draw to them? Should I want some too? [​IMG]

5. uchytil

uchytil Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    That's strange. Ours grows wherever. When we want more just take a shovel and drive thru the clump to separate, and replant. Our original 4x4 is now 4x8 next to the strawberry bed. I also have some in the woods in a few places, kinda sorta. It comes up wild and free. The only thing I do at all is when I cover the strawberries with straw in late fall I put some over the barb for no reason whatsoever. I do break off the bolts a few times a week to give the stalks more energy. If at first you don't succeed...

6. uchytil

uchytil Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    That's strange. Ours grows wherever. When we want more just take a shovel and drive thru the clump to separate, and replant. Our original 4x4 is now 4x8 next to the strawberry bed. I also have some in the woods in a few places, kinda sorta. It comes up wild and free. The only thing I do at all is when I cover the strawberries with straw in late fall I put some over the barb for no reason whatsoever. I do break off the bolts a few times a week to give the stalks more energy. If at first you don't succeed...

7. Wrightsx4

Jun 15, 2012
    Northwest Michigan
    Hahaha...yes you definitely should want some! Lol. I've only had one but she was killed by a raccoon a couple months ago. She had the most amazing personality - very quirky and funny. I've read that it's common with that breed. I hatched her last egg. Got a male, but he's mixed with EE. I'm hoping to get a few more from the 7 SF eggs my hen is hatching for me.

8. nluoma

nluoma Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2013
    S.E. Michigan

How do I sign up? This sounds great!

9. Wrightsx4

Jun 15, 2012
    Northwest Michigan
    Oh I'll keep trying! I love rhubarb. I think I'll try composted manure around it. I've always used bagged fertilizer around them. My daughter's plant gets nothing yet thrives...unless she's doing something I don't know about. It is close to the vegetable garden that gets coop compost, where my plants are in the sandy strawberry patch.

10. Wrightsx4

Jun 15, 2012
    Northwest Michigan
    Oh - Ladyrsanti, by the way...my wheatens had a dot too. One was pale brown, one was black. I though maybe it determined male/female! Oh well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by