Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Wynette, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Lisa and girls

Lisa and girls Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2012
    West Michigan
    What about one of those smoke thingys? I think you get them at home depot or something?

2. taprock

taprock Chillin' With My Peeps

I ended up with a dozen pheasants hatching. The first started on Sunday and the last just last night. 10 golden and 3 mutant. One golden has to be culled (sounds like your chick kimmie) and maybe a second that has toe problems. I am not impressed with pheasants, even as bitty little chicks they are mean. I'm used to mellow little babies. If anyone is interested in pheasants we are only keeping a trio for my son's 4-H.

It isn't looking like we will be able to make it to chickenstock, much to my disappointment. The only birds I had to bring were a pair and trio of golden sebrights, but if anyone is interested I can find a way to get them down state.

Puppy is doing well, DH is still not able to drive but doing well, garden......not so well or even entirely planted, our apple trees I haven't even checked yet but I hope doing well and our black fly/mosquito population is over the top.

3. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    I've had reasonably successful luck shooting skunks in the back of the head just above the spine. I know of folks who cover entire trap with plastic tarp and then place in water barrel but I've never tried it. About the best thing I can say is good luck.

4. naglady

naglady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2013
    Northern Michigan
    sorry about your incubator problems,,

my morning is so skrewy, i block the skunk in the coop, so it cant get out.. came in to call my cousin, last year she relocated about 30 different skunks off her property.. and they were different skunks because she started spraying a little spray paint on them to see if they came back.. well she said since it was a baby put the trap right into the coop with cat food.. and it should go it.. said to walk slow when approaching most skunk.. hers were in traps though..she also would put a sheet or blanket over the trap and they never sprayed her..

well i went out after i talked to her.. and now the skunk is gone.. dang it.. it got away.. bothers me because now it got away.. and since its a young one how many others is there..

so bottom line put canned or dry catfood in traps..
    and also she mentioned putting ammonia on wrags by your coops and that will help keep the skunks away.. they dont like it.. that is how she stopped her skunk problem.. so i thought that was worth mentioning.. since we all are in danger of having skunks wanting our chickens.. hope this helps..

5. uchytil

uchytil Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    No kidding. When I used to trap fisher we used skunk essence for bait. Fisher and Martin love skunk. My old truck smelled so bad no one would ride to work with me. Even if shot they may let loose. Good luck.

6. naglady

naglady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2013
    Northern Michigan
    Thank you for the skunk advise everyone.

opa that is what i was going to do. shoot it behind head. i didnt want to wait for a baby to drown., i thought make it quick.. that was what i was kinda thinking if i could trap it i could get a close up shot with the pellet gun.. like i dispatch the raccoon yesturday..hard to shoot when its way back corner and you cant get a good shot.

7. uchytil

uchytil Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    Lots of talk about spraying trees. I'm getting to the point that I'd like to try. My Dad uses fruit oil sprays but apparently that's only the tip of the iceberg. Because I let my animals roam about I hate the idea of chemicals, hence no grass weed killers, however, I will admit I'm guilty of using liquid Sevin on my grapes and beans. I feel guilty everytime I spray but I would lose my crop otherwise. I used to use those bag-a-bettle but my opinion, and a few others, is they are so attracted they come in from everywhere and I have more bugs (a great marketing tool if you ask me). Since quitting the bags I see less bettles and the spray handles those. My apples, cherries, and now my pear trees are another story. I know I get codling moth and cherry fruit fly. I'm considering Spinosad in a oil base which although organic will kill bees. If applied early morning, or late evening the bees should be ok (so I'm told). Since the blossums are gone and fruit is present I believe bees won't be an issue anyway. Looks like a 2 week spray interval all summer. That's just insects. Then you have a host of other conditions that you could encounter. How about fireblight? If you get this it cannot be cured so the preventative is streptomycin. I may also do this on my pears.

So does anyone use either Spinosad or Streptomycin?

8. snowflake

snowflake Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Belding Michigan
    Thank you, will try that
    sorry he got away, maybe the ammonia will work, my daughters brother in law uses ammonia on rags to keep deer out of his corn ect.

some one asked how to sign up for chicken stock, RAZ sigy has food sign up, silly has attendance, some one else ?? has something else, if you go to the sight for MI.CS one should come up

9. snowflake

snowflake Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Belding Michigan
    chicken stock

for those that are new, don't forget to bring a small item can be home made to put on the raffle table if every one brings something there will be enough for every one to go home with something

who is doing kids games?? do you need us to bring small prize's ? would be glad to help out

10. SillyChicken

SillyChicken Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2010
    I'll try to get the who's doin what list for Chickenstock updated this weekend.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by