Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Wynette, Aug 7, 2012.

1. naglady

naglady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2013
    Northern Michigan
    I dont think i will be able to make it to chickenstock this year.. wish i could..

I have another security question for my coop.. i was thinking about foot deep and 12 inches out top part also..
    i was thinking i have i think i still have some solar lights that i am not using.. do you think that will help keep predator away or just help them see to get in..
  2. tjbeckman

tjbeckman Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2012
    Millington, MI
    Yesterday I converted my horse fencing to run off a car battery. I am thinking that I will move the location of the fence charger so that I can also then run some lights to the coop. Not heat ones but just so I can see after dark. I haven't had electricity at all in my coop and it sure would be nice. Would have made killing the opossum the other night much easier than with a key chain flashlight :)
  3. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    I thought possum were vegetarians?

Who knows about Orioles? The birds not the team. This morning I've had what looks like 2 young males totally obsessed with their reflections in my door and they have been tormenting my house cat for over an hour. Which in turn means my dogs are upset. And hence the woman that I'm talking to on the phone about a business matter thinks that I live in a zoo with all these animals raising Cain. So have the Orioles just left their nest? Does anyone know how to tell the difference between the Baltimore Oriole and the Bullock's Oriole? Are both species even common here in MI? So pretty and I love their song!
  4. Living the Simple Life

Living the Simple Life Chillin' With My Peeps

Morning all!

Saw this and immediately thought of Opa!

Was happy to have DH report this morning that no deer in the garden last night!! WooHoo!! We put up an "invisible" fence. We placed hot wire posts all around the perimeter and ran three strands of 30 test monofiliment (fish line [​IMG]). For a gate we overlapped one section of fence with the inside post being inset about 3 feet - think of going to the bank and winding around the little posts and straps. My theory is that deer can't see the line to be able to jump it and will be spooked if they walk into it. I don't hold out much hope that it will deter the rabbits and woodchucks...but we'll see. Since the bottom line is quite low to the ground, perhaps it will confuse them as well.

We acquired a third guinea yesterday. This was a flockmate of the two we had already gotten. It's companion was taken by a hawk and this poor one has cried incessantly since. It's owners couldn't take the crying anymore and asked if we would take it. No problem. We now have Terry, Pat and Chris since at this point they are "gender-neutral" to us. [​IMG]
  5. tjbeckman

tjbeckman Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2012
    Millington, MI
    They are an omnivore. The prior morning I had come in and my broody had abandoned her nest and her eggs were crushed and two of my babies from this year were dead. So then we found it in there then next night and I said heck no! LOL
  6. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    With regard to spraying fruit trees, Ortho Orchard Spray has a class 1 toxicity so it's not quite as bad as many others. While it will handle rust blight and many fungi it will not do anything about fire blight. The most common method is to cut off the affected branches in hopes of limiting spread.

I have a friend who lives in a suburban area over-run with raccoons. He claims that since he strung red xmas lights around his pens his problems have been greatly reduced. I know that there is a predator deterrent product that uses two red lights.

Opossums are omnivores and opportunistic scavengers. They will eat anything from grapes to road kill. They are particularly fond of eggs and chicks but will kill roosting hens on occasion.
  7. tdhenson86

tdhenson86 Poultry People

[​IMG] So much to do! I never thought that getting 2 apple trees would be this much work. lol...
  8. tdhenson86

tdhenson86 Poultry People

Thank you! I'll try that!
  9. RaZ

RaZ Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Caseville, MI
    Another visit by the ordinance officer...
    More threats and harassment. I have to remove the straw bale planters and mow down the butterfly garden.
    I need to work faster on the garage and porch because he can't see the progress.

I also have to re-home the Sebrights by June 22. So if they aren't gone sooner, I will be bringing them to CS.

The last thing he said was that I should move and rent out my house.
  10. Scifisarah

Scifisarah Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Rockford MI
    My Coop
    Ugh that is awful! I'm glad you have family that can take in your birds. I hope everything can be worked out - I want to get more seramas from you in the years to come. :) The chicks I got from you at the spring Fowlfest are doing great. I ended up with 6 pullets and 4 cockerals, so I am pretty happy with that ratio. I found a good home for one pair, and will probably rehome one more pair to leave me with two trios. I was planning on keeping all the pullets, but I feel better about selling them in pairs. I am trying to only keep smooth roosters so I can hopefully get some frizzle pullets from you at chickenstock or the fall fowlfest in birch run. I hope everything goes smoothly with finding some land for your feathered family.

One of these things is not like the others, one of these things does not belong... any guesses? :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by