Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Wynette, Aug 7, 2012.

1. ladyrsanti

ladyrsanti Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    Michigan
    If nothing else we could have a garage painting party? That's how we did it back when. We were selling our house in Jackson and at the last minute (a three day deadline before inspection), the FHA insisted we repaint the garage without leaving a single paint chip on the ground. Being that I had three kids under the age of 5 and a husband who worked full time in Canton, I had my family out and we got it safely scraped and almost completely painted in one day and that was with only maybe three people working on it. I'm sure we could "scrape" up enough people to volunteer a couple of hours to get it done.

I'm a big supporter of project parties. Gonna organize one for the chicken coop this summer. It's how we get stuff done. Just supply the beer!

Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
  2. Scifisarah

Scifisarah Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Rockford MI
    My Coop
    Um, is there an ordinance against bales of straw and flower gardens as well? I don't understand how they can get away with all this. I thought it would stop at the chickens, but this sounds like it is getting out of control. Do you live in one of those suburbs where you signed a contract about how long your grass could be etc. before you purchased the house? What can they do if you don't move a bale of straw out of your yard? I just don't understand...

3. ldelahanty

ldelahanty Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2013
    Traverse City
    Raz, this is ridiculous have you thought about contacting the ACLU about harassment? This is a targeted form of bullying. They are wrong. BTW your girls here are doing just great! My husband loves Gravy and thinks she is the coolest thing. Crispy is doing so well, she is enjoying being top of the pecking order and teaching the pullets all about being a super chicken. I am coming down next week if you have anyone interested up here in the seabrights I can help. We will be there Thursday through Saturday late. I will not be at Chickenstock, Hunter loves the idea but the crowds are too much for him. This Sunday he takes Gravy to a poultry clinic to see if she is fit for the showmanship competition at fair. I hope so, he would do so well with her. He will be showing also for best bantam blue dozen. That is if she is still on vacation with us, of course. Always praying!
    Leah

4. RaZ

RaZ Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Caseville, MI
    Well the MAEAP technician was at Mike's and we went through the entire workbook for Farm-A-Syst, Livestock-A-Syst and because we have gardens, we are getting Crop-A-Syst verification as well.

The only possible hang-up for verification might be that the soil test results aren't back yet. However, for all intent and purpose both Mike and I should receive the Verification on Monday. The tech was confident enough that he took photos of both our farms so they can be included on the MAEAP website and press release. How cool is that?

So it has been a pretty good day. I'm extra happy to hear that my hens have found happy new homes.

Anyone who is in the area is welcome to stop by, either to help with chores or just to visit and share a ginger ale. [​IMG]

On a side note, the city harassment has been expected. This is what can happen when one stands up for their rights.

5. ldelahanty

ldelahanty Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2013
    Traverse City
    Raz, if you get the verification what rights does is afford you? Are you going to be able to get your girls back and the butterfly garden? Also, did you know that Keeni Feiger's parents the Pidowski's are from Garden City....just a thought....maybe Jeffery woul do some pro bono work for you? I used to do her parents hair and met them both they are really nice...and he loves publicity.

6. gladahmae

gladahmae Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    Benzie, MI
    Very nice on the certification RaZ! Hopefully you all can come to some sort of understanding......or something.

I have eggs hatching today! Had a garage sale at my girl friend's house who lives in a big subdivision, and will be going back tomorrow to hopefully sell a lot more. I had 5 big totes full of baby clothes in just newborn-2T!! [​IMG] Everyone we know gave us their old baby boy clothes, so we accumulated a lot over the course of have 3 boys. ;) I'm glad I was out of the house so I didn't sit there and obsess about the little thing hatching! Of course, poor planning on my part is going to make things interesting tomorrow. I'm supposed to have a big box of eggs delivered, and I won't be home (will be at day 2 of the garage sale). I'll probably leave the carrier a note to just please leave the package on the covered porch. If he comes around his "normal" time, they'll only sit for a couple of hours. Is it bad that I'm hoping they get hung up in the system a little and come Saturday when someone will be home?

Alright. Gotta sanitize the brooder!

7. Nigellas

Nigellas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2008
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Bummer! I wanted to thank you for the jerusalem artichokes you gave me last year - They are doing very well - I'm hoping they spread enough this year that I can harvest some. :)

When I worked at the Humane Society people would bring in wild animals that were live-trapped. We had to euthanize them because released animals can starve to death in an unfamiliar area. Anyway. For skunks we had a barrier that we would place the cage behind and a tranquilizer shot on a LONG pole. We would then very slowly and very quietly get the shot as close to the animal as possible and then jab and duck. I got sprayed a few times, but mostly made out ok.

Dude. W..T..F..

Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
  8. snowflake

snowflake Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Belding Michigan
    you should call the PO and see if you can pick them up early, like baby chicks,

9. snowflake

snowflake Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Belding Michigan
    RAZ congrats to you and Mike, on your certifications

10. RaZ

RaZ Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Caseville, MI
    First off, the MAEAP verification carries no legal weight. Although a lot of the process has GAAMP compliance within, the actual verification does not afford an automatic MRTFA protection. That aspect lies with MDARD and they have been reluctant to support any operation of less than 50 animal units. (Please keep up your phone calls and e-mails to them)

Publicity can be both good and bad. My case was publicized (good) and I'm seeing the fall-out from it (bad). The fight here is for everyone who lives in Michigan who isn't a CAFO or lives in a specified agriculture zone. Remember the lady on 59 acres who can't have chickens? Or Theron who was targeted because of his address? Anyone can be cited unless we stand together.

Next, the MAEAP certification is not a done deal yet. Mike and I won't know until Monday if we pass muster. The outlook is favourable and I'm confident that we (I) have met all of the criteria. I could be denied on the simple fact that the soil test results have not come back from MSU yet. Worst case scenario is that I would need a re-inspection after the results are back...or maybe verification would be "pending" the report.

The main focus is that we can all do a little better in our animal care and environmental stewardship with very little dollar cost.

I'll get off my soapbox now. Thanks for listening.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by