Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Wynette, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Farmerboy16

Farmerboy16 Rebuilding my Farm

Dec 30, 2010
    Sparta, MI
    Very nice picture Silly! Liked them all! :thumbsup

2. BackyardFarmMom

BackyardFarmMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2012
    Michigan
    Beautiful pics, Silly :)

3. theron

theron Theron's Fowl Farm

Nov 15, 2009
    Midland, MI
    First time in a while that I am up before Opa's morning coffee post. Lots of things to do today to prepare moving the birds off our place and to their temporary homes. Our laying flock is already moved, but we still have our seramas, bantam cochins, and polish, along with the ducks and geese to move. The ducks are going to a very dear friend of mine's place. The geese are going to either my classmates or my mother's property (if it was more than just one acre, we would have all of the birds on her property). We have been busy as well looking at 10 acres to purchase close enough to our house that we will be able to drive back and forth for a few years. I will now finally be able to get the goats/alpacas/and HORSE that I have always dreamed about. Hopefully, it is all smooth sailing and don't have any more bumps along the road. Hope you all have a nice day.

4. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    For some reason this computer has decided to not allow me to post pictures so you will have to imagine this post being prefaced with a large cup of steaming Folger's Black Silk coffee.

Egg production has fallen and the rainbow flock's replacements are still at least 10 weeks away from laying. Some days I wonder if it is worth all the effort.

Did a quick walk thru the garden yesterday and many seeds have sprouted. The tomatoes and bell peppers look about the same as when I planted them but the romaine lettuce really seems to be thriving. I probably should spend a little time today with my trusty hoe before the weeds that are also thriving get a toe hold. Very few weeds have sprouted and I need to keep it that way.

5. ladyrsanti

ladyrsanti Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    Michigan
    The blue flower looks like a perennial bachelor's button (owing to the wide leaves and sparse petals). The way I understand it, the annual version is classified as an introduced, invasive species and self sows vigorously. It has more robust flowers and thinner leaves. I have the perennial version in my garden and it hasn't spread anywhere.

http://plants.usda.gov/java/invasiveOne?queryParam=comname&sort=comname&startChar=B

Bee balm is usually red or pink and has the smell of a nice cup of earl grey.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
  6. SuttonsDaze

SuttonsDaze Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2013
    Mikado, Michigan
    Bee Balm is perfectly legal and a wonderful plant. This link takes you to a list at the DNR site on restricted invasive species. There are plants, animals and insects on the list. Pretty interesting. It even has the emerald ash borer listed. We've lost about every ash tree in the two counties I live and work in due to that little creature.

Prohibited and Restricted Species in Michigan http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/Photos_of_Invasives_388943_7.pdf

Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
  7. SuttonsDaze

SuttonsDaze Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2013
    Mikado, Michigan
  8. uchytil

uchytil Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    I think I signed on to take pictures. I have not visited the to-do sites lately.

I only mention this because your pictures were fantastic. Maybe you should throw in. I have a goat with blues eyes that looks exactly like the one you did a head shot of - think I'll duplicate it today for a side by side.

9. uchytil

Apr 28, 2011
    I think I signed on to take pictures. I have not visited the to-do sites lately.

I only mention this because your pictures were fantastic. Maybe you should throw in. I have a goat with blues eyes that looks exactly like the one you did a head shot of - think I'll duplicate it today for a side by side.

10. uchytil

Apr 28, 2011
    What is going on with this laptop, duplicate posts?

What to put on the swap table, hmmm, my maple syrup like last year?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by