Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Wynette, Aug 7, 2012.

1. gaitngirl

gaitngirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Lol, actually, I could use one of those . . .

Pole building is currently housing a horse, a mule, and their hay. But I might be able to clean out a corner. Of course, it's the corner I was thinking about converting to a chicken coop . . . and I did lose my barn cat to something nefarious (and most likely two legged) last winter. They would dine well on wild rabbit and mice [​IMG].

2. gladahmae

gladahmae Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    Benzie, MI
    So, I'm thinking I might have an egg-eater. My egg-count has been down by anywhere from 1/3 to 1/2 and when I collected eggs today some of them had something yellow (mostly dried, so a bit gummy/sticky) on the shells. So I'm thinking maybe it's yolk? Thinking of getting them some higher protein food, and some extra oyster shell on the side and see if that helps. I have no idea who might be doing it. I just know that 6 eggs from 14 hens is not right when I was getting 11 or 12 two weeks ago and no one is molting that I can see.....

Any other suggestions?

3. gaitngirl

My egg count is also down. I went from 15 - 18 eggs per day from 20 hens down to 4 - 8 eggs per day. No one is molting. 2 1/2 are broody (one hen can't really decide if she's really broody or not). No real predators. I did lose one hen the day before everyone quit laying - one of my foster dogs got her when she got into their kennel area. I don't know if the trauma of seeing that could throw them off. The one he got was the Isa Brown that was always the first girl to lay every morning.
    The only big changes have been the ducks. Every one seems to get along okay except for a few minor skirmishes. I read that sometimes they will quit laying if they get too fat - none of them look fat to me. They like the duck's pellets at least as much as their own food plus they free range all day long. The weather has been great - lots of sunshine. I did have at least one egg eater for a short time but that seems to have stopped (I had found messes like you in a couple of the nesting boxes but I haven't seen that in a couple months now). A couple of the eggs did have rather thin shells, though they have access to oyster shell freely.
    I just don't get it . . .

4. naglady

naglady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2013
    Northern Michigan
    coops are extra secure tonight, traps are set, come on skunk i am ready for you..
    will give a update tomorrow. see if i catch anything.
    hope this isnt going to be a ongoing thing all summer

5. SuttonsDaze

SuttonsDaze Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2013
    Mikado, Michigan
    I'm seeing an unusual amount of road kill on my way through town. I don't know if it's the cool weather, abundant rain or combination, but I hope you don't have to deal with it all summer either :-(

6. gaitngirl

One of my FBC Marans cockerels is starting to show some nice coppering around his hackles . . . too bad he doesn't have much feathering on his legs and feet. I haven't decided if he's going to be accompanying me to CS or not.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
  7. SillyChicken

SillyChicken Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2010
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. RaZ

RaZ Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Caseville, MI
    Doctor, is this a tumor on my back?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
  9. Amy PT

Amy PT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2012
    Michigan
    Cute and pretty flowers, Silly. What is the blue flower's name? I had a clump of those that my grandpa gave me from his garden years ago. They did really well. A little too well. They took over the whole bed! I did a little research a few years ago and found what I thought was the flower's name, and also that they're so invasive that they're not legal to keep in MI. I know some of y'all here are better versed in flower names than I. Can someone confirm this?

10. SillyChicken

SillyChicken Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2010
    I stand corrected... it is bachelors button!... I don't keep the plant tags and have so many I lose track!

Last edited: Jun 7, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by