Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Welcome! I've bought chicks from TSC and Family Farm. They usually have a minimum of 6 though. I've also bought from a small local farm store and could buy any number I wanted. Ask around at your local feed stores and see if they will have chicks available.

I bought 3 SS at C S last summer. Should be available hereabouts too. Welcome to the group. lots of info available. I'm in Montague I have 3 SS, 1 BO, 2 Welsummers, (hens ) Live in town . Just egg laying pets for us.

Thank you both! I am raising them for eggs as well…and pets! My husband is in the middle of building our tractor coop -- a fun project for him too!

Quote:Originally Posted by taprock I missed this, what happened?
Quote:Originally Posted by Lisa and girls I'm sorry. :( I can't take them, i'm possibly moving this spring and downsizing myself; i didn't want this to get lost though. Have you posted this at your local feed mill and TSC board (ours is in the back by the bathrooms, idk why......) Being that next month starts chick days maybe someone will come along that might appreciate an already started/ laying flock. A lot of newbs don't realize they have a 6-9 mo wait for eggs!! :p (I didn't lol )

Spring is definitely around the corner, my barred rock's comb reddened up and the last week she has left me several eggs! The speckled sussex isn't laying yet though, her comb's still pink. The roos are starting to get twitchy and give the one eye stares as well.

For any newbs who have a first year flock, and who's roos are just coming on 1 year: The difference between a hugging rooster vs. a tame rooster is if they are on your feet to get picked up or do you have to give a little chase? Tame birds are the ones you can feed from your hand, but not pick up without catching them. They might hug back after caught, but the first reaction is to run or hop away. I tame all my birds, but if they have wild blood they are never as huggy as a few get.
Reason i bring this up is that with spring approaching and girls starting to lay more the boys switch their little brains to instinct- which doesn't leave room to remember that you are the treat momma. 1 year old they have the spurs in finally and they get more serious than they were at 6 months as cockerels.
It is a good idea to offer treats to the roos first if you are hand feeding, and if your roo is tame but not huggy to set the treats down. Don't try to chase your roos at all to pick them up! If you have to inspect feet, etc. do it in the evening or not in front of him. Any sound of alarm from the hens will trigger him to think you are a possible threat- Even my huggiest boys get froggy sometimes in the spring! Careful handling can keep them from being mean.

Very good article on handling roos
http://www.backyardpoultrymag.com/1-2/harvey_ussery/

Last edited:
I'm just starting out this year in West Michigan, and I'm wondering where everyone buys small amount of chicks? I'm only looking to get three (Orpington, Speckled Sussex), but I want to buy them local and be able to pick them out. Is that out of the question?
you might want to check with Lisa, she has some very pretty hens she needs to rehome, and I know they will be friendly, may be close to you and already to lay
Check out chicken stock 2014, it is a fun picnic in June at a park in Lansing, lots of baby chicks there, different breeds and colors

Lisa, so sorry you have to rehome you girls, very hard to part with pets
hugs.gif

We have a 10 month old roo.. he is still pretty nice, gets out of our way, protects the girls, eats out of our hands, we have had leo since he was a pullet chick, was born a girl according to tsc and turned into a boy.. but a sweet boy.. I wonder though, if someday since he is getting spurs if he will get change or stay the same, i think he will stay nice, but have the thought in the back of my head, because i had a couple mean roos..

sorry for the chicken losses, or have to get rid of chickens,

silly your picture turned out awesome, love it.

day 2 for eggs in the incubator, decided to keep all the eggs to the left of bator this time, it holds a higher steady heat and seems like we have more hatch from that side in the past.

We have a 10 month old roo.. he is still pretty nice, gets out of our way, protects the girls, eats out of our hands, we have had leo since he was a pullet chick, was born a girl according to tsc and turned into a boy..
lau.gif
I know pullets can change to a boy, but it's rare, except at hatcheries, TSC, and some places that think they know how to sex chicks.
wink.png

@gladahmae
@ladyrsanti

I sort of figured, but was hoping. I've never gotten super wash to felt, I'd love to hear more. Started pair #2 for my Dearest GF, hers will be thermal knit plus I'm adding the CO row for the flap differently this time to avoid that line of purl bumps.

@gladahmae
@ladyrsanti

I sort of figured, but was hoping. I've never gotten super wash to felt, I'd love to hear more. Started pair #2 for my Dearest GF, hers will be thermal knit plus I'm adding the CO row for the flap differently this time to avoid that line of purl bumps.

HollyDuck, sorry I missed your post and pictures - been out with health issues and not reading up. Looks good. I just made myself a pair of these a month or so ago with some hand spun wool from Zeilingers leftover from that sweater, to wear out in the barn while doing chores. I knit the cap/flap separately and sew it on. These aren't lined but I went through a phase a couple of years ago, thrumming mittens and boy are those warm! I've also knit liners out of scrap sockweight yarn for the insides of thin mittens. I just make it up as I go sometimes. The pattern for these I found in an old issue of Vogue Knitting, though I altered it a bit.

I'm just starting out this year in West Michigan, and I'm wondering where everyone buys small amount of chicks?  I'm only looking to get three (Orpington, Speckled Sussex), but I want to buy them local and be able to pick them out.  Is that out of the question?

Townline hatchery is in Zealand and they have a minimum order of 25 when they ship chicks. However, I have contacted them and asked about local pickup of smaller orders. They were willing to work with me, so if they aren't too far from you give them a call and ask.

Back
Top Bottom