Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

First completely isolate the new birds for at least 2 weeks, so you can monitor for signs of disease.

Young growing birds should not eat a layer ration. You could switch to a grower/finisher or all-flock diet, make sure you offer oyster shell on the side.

So would you suggest keeping them separate for the full 18 weeks? I got them when they had just hatched so keeping them separate for virus and disease issues is already taken care of. Will the other laying hens be ok on a grower/finisher diet until we can put the little ones on layer feed? Will the older hens still give us eggs? We have an outdoor pen for the little ones, when should I start providing oyster shell and grit for the babies? They don't seem to be scratching yet.

The other hens will be fine on finisher if you provide oyster shells to them. I think he was telling you to combine them together now. I would. I would also provide them finisher while giving my older hens oyster shell in order to make sure they still have the nutrition to lay eggs. Your babies will be just fine this way. The only thing I would be concerned about is the little ones being picked on by older hens.

I'll be stopping in at chicken stock, but not staying all day, or participating in the raffle etc. I have to go pick up my ram lamb a bit farther north of Lansing. Not sure if I'll get him before coming to CS or after.

So, if anyone is interested in a CA/FG cross rabbit let me know. I have 8 that I bred to bring to CS. 3-4 are Agouti pattern, 5 are black (so far) colors change as they mature. They'll be 8 wks old. $5 ea.

Please PM me if interested.

Well, I am am 250 posts behind. Been busy and a bunch of other stuff.

Since I know I won't go back & read them.....

Welcome to all the newcomers..
Sorry for any losses, congrats on any new babies...

Hope everyone is doing well...

Got most of garden in, to include 2 ghost pepper plants, RaZ :D

Maia continues to be a good mama to her 5 four week olds.

Update: I tried the vinegar (Meijer brand) and it did kill a pesky dandelion in my sidewalk. So far it hasn't killed any grass tho. I used an entire gallon.

for weed killing you need a gardeners vinegar.. it's a bit more potent. Regular vinegar from the store won't do it. Plus, it's most effective on young shoots, not mature growth.

Still sad but there was peace today. Blue is learning a new trick; if you put your arm out for a roost he will fly up to it! I learned this while waving mosquitos away !
tongue.png
He is such a gentle giant.
Aww, one of my little fuzzie butts does that too each time I lean on the watermelon box to check on them.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom