Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

any sign of injury? swelling, leaking fluids etc? photo?

I could suggest super glue and tissue or similar paper patch to help keep it from getting worse, but I don't know if a beak will heal other than growing out like a nail or not.

Hello all! I've got some bad news on my part. 

Today, my mother noticed that our sweetie Jeannie has a large crack on her beak. We have no idea how this happened, when it happened, or how to treat it. I'm worried about my baby, and we don't know what to do. All feedback would be appreciated and as soon as possible, please. Thanks in advance.

Worried,
Jeym :(

I second the super glue and craft tissue paper. (Not red) It has worked for others on byc; do it asap before it gets worse! Once it dries she can go back to eating and drinking with the others. Might lessen the pain, too

. Just use regular superglue

and not the human kind with the antiseptic or things ending in "cain" .

Thank you Fuzzy and SillyChicken. I will get a picture as soon as she stays still. On that note, how do I get my chickens to want to be held? People are talking about how their chickens will follow them around and want to be held, but when I try to hold them they squawk and run away like I'm some kind of butcher who wants to kill them! They don't know that I just want to hug them and hold them. How do I get them to know that?

Thanks again. There is no leaking, blood, or swelling. It's a crack that stretches halfway across her beak, near where the fleshy part begins.

Jeym

Wait, what's wrong with this breeder? We got a few chicks from him a month ago and was going to order more tomorrow. Can someone share or pm me? I don't wanna buy a bunch more if something is wrong with his operation.
1f615.png

Thank you Fuzzy and SillyChicken. I will get a picture as soon as she stays still. On that note, how do I get my chickens to want to be held? People are talking about how their chickens will follow them around and want to be held, but when I try to hold them they squawk and run away like I'm some kind of butcher who wants to kill them! They don't know that I just want to hug them and hold them. How do I get them to know that?

Thanks again. There is no leaking, blood, or swelling. It's a crack that stretches halfway across her beak, near where the fleshy part begins.

Jeym

Most of those chickens were handled a lot as chicks. I can pet and hold my birds I hatched and raised better than the chicks that were hen reared. You could try treats like mealie worms, hand feed them. But in the end it's going to depend on your birds, maybe even the breed you have.

Back
Top Bottom