Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Thanks! I was thinking about that as well.. I might even put Nugget into 4h for showmanship, because she could care less about being held and all.. well see. :D but, thanks for the info! ;)

Hmmm. So many options! There are many reputable show breeders here in mi; what kinds have you looked at so far? Are you looking for friendly birds? We could do a coop/run critique if you want?

Thank you! We have made some adjustments and improvemen ts , but I will use some of our chicken wire/small hardware cloth to do this:D. We have layered another layer of fencing at a different angle so that they cannot fit their heads through anymore on the side where the deachange icken was spotted. Thanks! I will do this:highfive:

edited by staff

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh thabks! I reallly like the idea of something from the orpington family, but im open to new breeds other than orpingtons and isas as well. And yes, the bird needs to be friendly, as theyre my pets, and id want my two brothers and parnts to get along with them :cd
And a coop cirtique wpuld be nice! I do not have the coop that I built with my father yet at pur house.. still at my grandmas, where we built it. But I could show you guys my current coop If you would like, even though the weather is very crappy at the moment, and it might make it seem dirty, lol.:yiipchick

All coops get dirty, lol. First things first for picking breeds: bantam or standard?

My favorite breeds are
-easter eggers (mutts) The show version would be arucana/ ameruacana.Comes in a wide range of colors, and both bantam and large. Blue eggs
-Orpingtons, come in large or bantam. Learned the hard way that orpie pics with the fluff to the ground are ENGLISH orpingtons. (Mine was hatchery and was all leg, not nearly the poof) Pale brown eggs
-cochins. Many colors, poofy, come in large or small. Pale brown eggs
-russian orloffs. Conservation status. Good show stock available but more pricey. Bantams exist but i've not seen them for sale!!!
-speckled sussex. Pink-brown eggs
-barred rock .brown eggs.
-polish
-marans. Dark hershy chocolate eggs in good stock.
-d'uccles. Some color variety, pinkish brown eggs, feather feet. Harder to keep feet feathers in good condition though. Bantam only
-silkies. Lack of feathers make them harder to care for in the winter, they should not get wet at all when it is cold.

Happy googling! :)

Last edited:
Hello again, I have a 2 day old Ancona chick to get rid of, she had spraddle leg but I corrected it, she makes a racket like you would not believe if she is separated, but when she is not she attacks all the other chicks. If you want her I will gladly give her to you with 1 pound of non gmo, corn and soy free starter feed. I really don't want to have to put her out in the wild to be dealt with the natural way. I think she would turn out fine if she was put with a broody that could knock her into line, I unfortunately don't have one at the moment to do that with.

Thanks. (BTW I am in the Howell area)

Thanks! I was thinking about that as well.. I might even put Nugget into 4h for showmanship, because she could care less about being held and all.. well see. :D but, thanks for the info! ;)

I don't think Isa Brown can be shown in 4H. I was looking at breeds to show for 4H... Buff Orpingtons can be shown and they are nice birds...

Thanks so much everyone! I will keep this in mind, and thank you for your time and research! Just got back from diggin for worms with Nugget haha:D:D

Thank you soo much RTFchickens for helping me research! And thank you for that information, I have never heard of an isa brown at show, either:cd

Back
Top Bottom