Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Definitely not a Salmon Faverolle, they have salmon in the name for a reason
wink.png

Looks like a speckled Russian Orloff to me.
-pea comb
-beard/muff
-should have yellow legs
-should have upright stance when standing
I have a later post - she's a Russian Orloff :) The seller has an issue with his breeds of chicks being all together in the same brooder and can't tell them apart. Thanks!

I have a question for ya guys. Since April 2, 2013 ive had 2 isa browns in the city of St. Clair. Long stoey short, theyve lived at Memphis ( the middle of NO WHERE) for quite some time . Weve recently moved them back, but unfortunatley, my little baby Squawk was de capitated by an unknown animal... I assume an animal was being a nusiance to her, anf she atuck her little face through the grates (she had always been a little cocky, with an attitude), and well the animal tried to pull her through but only got her head..

Now poor baby Nugget looks so sad its heartbreakingg, and I need to get her another buddy, I dont necessarily treat my chickens lke some stupid farm animals, but but as pets. So, now that Nugget's partner in crime is gone, it would be a relief to get her a new girl -friend.. or two;) . I really cant stop crying abput my baby dying , but I guess thats whatcha get with having animals that are sold in produce sections.. other animals think theyre tasty, too! :rolleyes:

Now the real question is this. Do you think its too late to start up a new baby chick or two? They are going to be feathered by 8 weeks, if I remember correctly(I have done sooo much research!) Nd it is July 8th . In MICHIGAN.i know how terrible last wintwr was, but could aomeone give me their oppinion? I do have a huge galvanised steel dog pen, that I currently have a little hutch inside of. The hutch does come with a sepwrate attatchablepen. My dad and I have also finished the " Purina Mills chicken coop" , whichwe plan to use for Lil Nugget soon. I woul just like some input.. Thanks byc friends!

And btw, good ahow breeds for starter 4h ers would be appreciated;)

edited by staff

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree, your lone chicken needs a friend. IMO, you should find another hen (or two) about her size of a breed that you'd like to have. There are soooo many kinds, that the decision and research should be yours. If you get it at 4 mos to 1 year old, it should be the right size to move in with your Lil Nugget after a 2-week quarantine period to make sure the new hen(s) are healthy. You can find anything you need to know on this site. Then you'll have to use craigs list or some other source to find out what is available in your area. Good luck with your research!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! I was thinking about that as well.. I might even put Nugget into 4h for showmanship, because she could care less about being held and all.. well see. :D but, thanks for the info! ;)

Horseychicken, to keep your other bird(s) safe from decapitation, wrap hardware cloth around the lower 2-3 feet of your fence. Chickens are very curious by nature and will approach the fence, and raccoons and other predators can grab them through regular fencing.

Welcome to the Michigan thread.

Back
Top Bottom